Winter tires off?

Rizzo

I normally wait too but I changed my truck tires this weekend in anticipation of a trip or two to Detroit in the next week... It feels like you just took off a pair of rubber boots and slipped on some running shoes the first trip down the road! I do love the snows when it's slippery out but those summer tires sure do drive a lot nicer on the highway.

Edit: I kind of forgot about the insurance thing and just checked, I was supposed to leave the snows on until April....DOH!

Edited by G.mech

Reminds me Bondar.. I'd better look at my policy as I got a similar HUGE reduction for dedicated snows. If you get in an accident and the snows aren't on during the "required period" bet your bottom dollar that you're outta luck !

This ^

My insurance says april. I also get a 5% reduction for snows.

S.

We are already changing lots back to all season...it's not the air temps that kill winter tires it's the temp of the pavement. Unless your policy has specific clauses I'm not sure how they can deny a claim? Having said that March 31- April 15 is typical..

From this chart, it looks like the majority of the policies require their use until the end of March but some are different as are the discount percentages and the parts of the policies the discounts apply to:

http://www.ggninsurance.ca/uploads/7/6/4/9/7649154/carrier_summary_-_winter_tire_disc_pdff.pdf

Edited by G.mech

Mentioned to the guy when I called for a service appointment today that I was thinking about it. I'd be the first this year apparently. I waited until mid December to put them on too. I'll see if I'm in the mood to lug them into the car that morning. It only takes me about an hour to switch them out, and they're calling for snow this weekend so I'm thinking probably wait until April. But I am chronically lazy so if I can save myself that hour in a months time I might do it anyway lol.

Mentioned to the guy when I called for a service appointment today that I was thinking about it. I'd be the first this year apparently. I waited until mid December to put them on too. I'll see if I'm in the mood to lug them into the car that morning. It only takes me about an hour to switch them out, and they're calling for snow this weekend so I'm thinking probably wait until April. But I am chronically lazy so if I can save myself that hour in a months time I might do it anyway lol.

Lol

ok...convinced. Insurance was the big factor, hadn't thought about that. Also, when I looked at the long-term forecast there were still quite a few subzero nights coming up....that could mean snow on the morning drive into work. Gonna hold off, do it in a couple weeks. Plus it means I can procrastinate today, have a beer, and not lug the tires out. Gonna go grab that beverage

I looked at the specs for my winter tires and it says they should be off when temps average 15C. I had a set of Blizzacs that came with a car I bought and didn't know or care to know they were winter tires. They lasted until mid June before a belt ripped off the tire. Lucky I was only going around 20K making a turn.

A question I have had in the past is what to do when driving to Florida in the winter every year when we had the family condo there? I would drive the car down and leave it there for Mom and Dad and fly back. I have had some pretty bad weather all the way to Georgia. Once in Florida if we left with winter tires on they would be unsafe in no time, if I had all seasons on in some really bad weather that haven't be very good either. Solution, I bought a mint 85' Buick for $750.00 and left it there for my family. Ah the good old days. Now it's the cold new days.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

So, for a 5% discount, the insurance company gets an avenue to possibly deny a claim when you really need them? Screw that. If they offer something, it's because it's to their benefit.

They offered it because the provincial government told them they had to......

So, for a 5% discount, the insurance company gets an avenue to possibly deny a claim when you really need them? Screw that. If they offer something, it's because it's to their benefit.

Funny Chris I said pretty much exactly the same thing ..word for word...an hour ago while discussing this in the car with Debbe

50 bucks Chris.. case and a half of beer! If you're running dedicated snows you may as well take them up on what the government made them offer.

Wait a minute....50 bucks...thats almost 4 bottles of the bosses favourite red wine.

Its not a big deal if you run snows. I swear by them and find them to be helpful in the spring when back roads are mush. I do a lot of driving in bad conditions and find they are worth the prixe in piece of mind anyways. 5000km/ month on average and i dont let bad weather stop me from doing what i have to do.

S.

Yep, just got an email back. Mine must be on until March 31st. Can change them April 1st. If they are not on in an accident or claim they have an avenue to deny the claim.

They can't deny a claim because you don't have snows on, the worst they could do is remove the discount. In most cases it's just a guideline, and this year common sense may be to have them off earlier.

They can deny or at least try to get out of a claim if you're driving on bald tires, can't see it being any different not having snows on that are listed as required on your policy. Similar to the "lay up" period on most of our boat policies, it's what you agreed on to get the price reduction.