RANT!!!

Roe Bag

For the first time ever I put my boat into storage last Fall. I was doing renovations and needed my garage for materials and related equipment.

With the change in weather, I called and asked to get my boat out of storage. Apparently because I was one of the first to put a boat in storage, mine is boxed in by too many boats.

I'm being told I will have to wait until MAYBE mid April until some of the others are picked up. Is this Bull or is this how they all operate?????

Fit to be tied!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Roe Bag

You get what you pay for.. that's for sure. It sucks, but being at the door is key. Guy here in Penetang leaves an "extraction" row so with a bit of work and wheel dollies anyone can get their boat out "first".

Edited by irishfield

yup. wanna be first out, gotta be last in. I waited 3 weeks last year, and I had been using the same place for 3 years, was always out in March. Wasn't happy, but what you gonna do, the guys with the RVs and collector cars, trailers and boats aren't coming, even if they are in town. Sucks but that's the way it is. This year made sure I was first in line. And with this winter, I should have waited even longer.

I did that with a camper many years ago..one weekend each for in and out..now, I store mine in a quanset hut at work...got it out today because i anticipate ice out in about 2 weeks...lets hear it for perch fishing :clapping::clapping::clapping:

What does your rental agreement say as to pickup ability? Nobody is going to spend 4 hours pull 50 boats out and putting 49 back to get yours if you paid only a few hundred dollars for the winter. Sucks, but reality.

Rental agreement states:

Boat removal is based on a mutually agreed date, providing there is reasonable access to the boat.

When I entered into the agreement I told him the only reason I was storing the boat was because of the renovations. He asked how long I thought I would need his services. A month or two? I said "you might as well keep it over the Winter that way I'm sure everything will be done. I'll just pick it up in March". There was no hesitation on his part.

Sadly I've been dealing with this same guy for many years. Spent a lot of money there. He's a reputable dealer.

First time I've had any grief. But, it will be the last.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I don't think access should ever be an issue. It should be up to them to maintain reasonable access. The real issue is the fact that they are greedy pigs. Overfill the space and then say "sorry 'bout your luck".

A crock and a half of you know what!!!!!

Too bad you didn't know ahead of time but that is standard protocol. Like someone said above, they're not going to start pulling boats out in random order. That would be chaos.

Standard protocol? Says who? It's my boat. Yet they dictate when I can have it back.

No obligation on their part to maintain access. Just jam the place to the rafters. Then at the end of the day. "Oh gee. First in last out. Sorry 'bout your luck!"

Protocol indeed!!!!!!!!! Out and out greed.

Thats bullcrap

All it takes is a teenager in a forklift to sort it out.

Id call their bluff and be pissed

Easily can be done in one day, EASILY

I think the business owner would expect to be paid for that one day of labour and overhead before sorting through all of the boats. And they may want to use a person with proper safety training, etc. for the fork life; not some random teenager willing to work for a low wage.

The owner should have been more clear up front. But I think that first in, last out, is reasonable.

What do you want the guy to do? Move everyone's boats whenever someone wants there's out? That seems kind of unreasonable to me.

No. I expect him to store them in a ​reasonable fashion. ​So access is maintained. No one should be allowed to withhold someone else's property for their own convenience.

You want to talk unreasonable. ​How 'bout this? Pay $400 up front. But gee it's really not convenient right now. You'll have to wait! Maybe I can get to you by mid April. What was the $400 for? A patch of ground in a barn somewhere and a convenient for him, release date.

5:30 in the morning. Stomach is in knots. Haven't slept a wink.

Edited by Roe Bag

Rental agreement states:

Boat removal is based on a mutually agreed date, providing there is reasonable access to the boat.

When I entered into the agreement I told him the only reason I was storing the boat was because of the renovations. He asked how long I thought I would need his services. A month or two? I said "you might as well keep it over the Winter that way I'm sure everything will be done. I'll just pick it up in March". There was no hesitation on his part.

Sadly I've been dealing with this same guy for many years. Spent a lot of money there. He's a reputable dealer.

First time I've had any grief. But, it will be the last.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I don't think access should ever be an issue. It should be up to them to maintain reasonable access. The real issue is the fact that they are greedy pigs. Overfill the space and then say "sorry 'bout your luck".

A crock and a half of you know what!!!!!

Speed reading this thread - again on the re-read I learned its' "a reputable dealer".

I would be p*ssed as the OP is.

I can relate to last in first out in most storage facilities, but I'm a little concerned when I read words like "jammed in". Fire comes to mind.....