Hummingbird or Lowrance?

Shloim

From my experience, even the new HDS models still only gets two to three years on them before the sensitivity starts decreasing.

The biggest cause is the towing/trailering....If you don't cover up the bottom of the transducer (ie, with a sock, or similar) the gravel and dirt/dust will start to scratch the base.

Go to a shop(s) and play with multiple units of both brands on demo mode. This will not replicate on the water performance but it'll give you an idea of which layout you prefer. Your personal satisfaction of the performance difference between the units will depend more on you than the units. I know fellows with $2500 units that never take time to learn them (either brand) and then blame the graph.

It's a very competitive market with no secrets between HB and Lowrance. Try to look past some of the myths you'll read posted and just buy one you feel comfortable with. That way you'll invest the time up front to understand it and maximize its usefulness for your style of fishing.

It's like asking which is better Chevy or Ford? For what you describe to need I believe Hummingbird of which I have for my main GPS/Sonar. I also have Lowrance on the front and a second screen at the helm which is an old Garmin. I like the Hummingbird for it's simplicity and value for the dollar. Yes get the largest screen in your budget.

I'm definetily a shallow water guy , boat is a 16' that's only 5' wide w/40hp so I'm really not doing any great lakes. Cooks bay is the biggest I do with any kind of regularity. However , I have the good fortune of being friends with Joselyn at Angling Outfitters and he's got both, so I'm gonna go see him. He already mentioned the HB may be a better value this season, I will let ya all know what I come back with. I just wanted to use the boards trusted knowledge to get the straight goods! So once again, thanks folks for all your help.

Sheldon

Lowrance. Hands down. No question. I have both and cannot stand the birds. I will take an older lowrance over a new bird any day. I just can't get a bird to do what my lowrance units do. Sure you pay more, but you get what you pay for.

I also know a few people with broken down humminbirds. I still have the first lowrance I ever bought, and it works just as good as it did when I bought it. I use it for ice fishing.

S.

I was lucky enough to get a great deal on the Lowrance elite 5 X. Like I said before, the elite 4 X is an awesome machine for my needs. The 5 has a few more options, but the same functions and the larger screen, which, was my main reasoning for looking for another finder. I also really like the dual ducer. It,s amazing to watch full zoom, and also see whats going on above the bottom.

Edited by Brian B

I was lucky enough to get a great deal on the Lowrance elite 5 X. Like I said before, the elite 4 X is an awesome machine for my needs. The 5 has a few more options, but the same functions and the larger screen, which, was my main reasoning for looking for another finder. I also really like the dual ducer. It,s amazing to watch full zoom, and also see whats going on above the bottom.

Not only can you split the screen like that, but you can also set the exact depth you want to see on your graph to enhance your picture. You can't do that on a bird, you just get an option to pick from a menu. Sometimes changing your upper and lower limits by a foot or two either way really improves the way you see your jig and mark fish.

S.

Not only can you split the screen like that, but you can also set the exact depth you want to see on your graph to enhance your picture. You can't do that on a bird, you just get an option to pick from a menu. Sometimes changing your upper and lower limits by a foot or two either way really improves the way you see your jig and mark fish.

S.

Yup

Just picked it up and popped the ice ducer on it. Works fine.

I see the BIG picture now. LOL

5x.jpg

They both make fine units

They both have pros and cons

It really is the Ford Chevy argument

Everyone should know it's dodge. Lol.

Some found humnbirds to be easiest to learn. But I used my HDS right out of the box and never read a manual. But had to for the bird. So go to a store that lets you play with the display units and play. If it feels right buy it.

They both make fine units

They both have pros and cons

It really is the Ford Chevy argument

Everyone should know it's dodge. Lol.

Some found humnbirds to be easiest to learn. But I used my HDS right out of the box and never read a manual. But had to for the bird. So go to a store that lets you play with the display units and play. If it feels right buy it.

The "Dodge" fish finder is a string with a used spark plug tied to it to check the bottom.