Hummingbird or Lowrance?

Shloim

Looking for a new sonar and currently have a bottom of the line hummingbird that came with my boat. Looking for something in the $700 range and for me I think that user friendliness will outrank a zillion features that ill never use... Im so torn and confused, please help OFC electronics wizards

S

HBIRD are known for easy operation and their customer service is excellent.

The Helix units are reasonable.

I owned a lowrance Elite and liked it too.buy what u feel is the best value - get the biggest screen u can.

Edited by landry

It's Humminbird (no G) and we prefer that to the Lowrance. We had such a hard time with the Lowrance that came with our boat we ditched it and got a few Humminbirds instead and are very happy with them. Easy to use and much better digital IMO.

It's Humminbird (no G) and we prefer that to the Lowrance. We had such a hard time with the Lowrance that came with our boat we ditched it and got a few Humminbirds instead and are very happy with them. Easy to use and much better digital IMO.

Im looking for a lonely HB ( SEE CLASSIFIEDS ) Blind mouse here, :whistling:

I like my Lowarance. Once I got it figured out ,with help,. It works great for my needs.

I've owned humminbird, lowrance and now raymarine. The early hbirds where junk, but they've come a long way in the last ten years. For ease of operations in a push button format, I'd say humminbird is pretty hard to beat. I had a 597 and it was a great unit, I currently use a 385 on the ice and on the tinny at the cottage. I love the Raymarine touch on my boat, and its really easy to use, but they'll set you back a bit more than your budget. I never really liked the lowrance elites all that much, but my older lowrance greyscale x85 and x15 where great units. I think the new lowrance elite 7 TI touchscreen is pretty cool, but again a bit more than you want to spend. The humminbird helix 7 is on sale with a rebate for $700 and change at bass pro this week. That includes side imaging and all the bells and whistles. If I had to pick in that price range, I'd probably go with one of them! The screen is amazingly bright too and all the familiar humminbird controls. My non expert 2 cents.

I have a Lowrance Elite 7($699) at the tiller and a Helix 5 DI ($325) at the bow. I find for 2D sonar the Lowrance looks a lot better then the Hummibird. Down imaging is good on both units. The Helix is much brighter and easier to see from anywhere in the boat.

I like both units and you really can't go wrong with either brand imo. For your price point I would go with the Helix 7.

It's a Chevy vs Ford thing. Both make products that work and both have a following.

Both are easy to use if you take the time to read the manuals but the edge will go to Humminbird for customer service. Go do a search for Lowrance customer service and you will see what I mean. My local shop only carries Humminbird for this specific reason.

I'm in the high end market. Thiers major changes coming next year.

I would wait for the sell off of this years product.

I'm waiting for the new stuff.

Care to elaborate? Genuinely curious as to what's coming.

the lowarance can do more the bird units are easier to use in lower and midline units, depending on your budget, the canadian tire in lindsay has a bunch of lowrance and dird units on clearance ie a mark 4 hdi for 227 and a 858 bird for 499 check around your area may get a decent unit from last year for a great price

I've only owned HB but one thing I've noticed is that the hard core (tournement) guys go more for Lowrance.

With that being said, the new HB Helix is an awesome unit. They did a great job upgrading the old core units.. faster, better graphics, and new features. Check them out carefully tho, the list of features changes drastically once you get in to the Helix 9. Also, some come with compact transducers, some with the HD. You can always upgrade but something to be aware of.

PM if you have any "specific" questions and I'll do my best to help.

Lowrance Touch Screens blows the doors of Hummingturd......

About 2 years ago I was fishing Lake Erie out of Point Abino and met up with my brother in-law who was in his boat. We were slowly trolling with our TM pulling worm harnesses for walleyes. I kept finding scattered walleyes laying on the bottom and would circle them to get them to bite. Brother in-law kept saying he didn't see anything on the bottom with his Hummingturd..............I shared some of my catch with him.

From what I've seen, the Birds seem to be most popular with shallow water fisheries while deep water Great Lakes trollers are using more Lowrances and the fellas stateside are big on Raymarine and Furunos on bigger boats for deepwater salmon and trout.

I have owned both.

Many say Lowrance marks bottom fish better. This is not true. If you turn your sensitivity up too high in a Bird the. Fish will be hard to see and show as bumps. If you turn it down then they will show as green and yellow bumps with a red blip just like a lowrance.

The touch screen is better/faster for marking a quick waypoint off to the side on side imaging though.