Barrie to Trenton - Tips? (Boat Trip)

hutch4113

So I have done the Severn the part of the Trent-Severn - but never the Trent part. I am thinking it might be a fun trip to do, and was looking for some tips for planning purposes.

I am not sure how long it takes to do that section. Boat in question is 18.5 Smokercraft, so won't be staying in it, so have to plan for stops along the way for the night.

Thought it would be fun to see some lakes I have not been in yet (and probably troll a little....maybe....), and go through some locks (in particular the lift locks) - again that I have never been in.

Normally have a cottage for the week in the Summer, but this year may do a trip like the above first. A thought anyway.

So I have done the Severn the part of the Trent-Severn - but never the Trent part. I am thinking it might be a fun trip to do, and was looking for some tips for planning purposes.

I am not sure how long it takes to do that section. Boat in question is 18.5 Smokercraft, so won't be staying in it, so have to plan for stops along the way for the night.

Thought it would be fun to see some lakes I have not been in yet (and probably troll a little....maybe....), and go through some locks (in particular the lift locks) - again that I have never been in.

Normally have a cottage for the week in the Summer, but this year may do a trip like the above first. A thought anyway.

I've never done a trip like that, but I know there's a nice patio above the locks on upper buckhorn. After lunch you can lock through to lower buck. I've had some great days walleye and bass fishing in lower buck. Edited by Dutch01

I have an 18.5 Smokercraft Fazer and I can tell you if the wind comes up on the bigger lakes you are going to have fun. Not sure how long you are planning to take, but plan some stay over days due to weather.

Rice lake blows up quick. Look up Elmhirst's Resort on Rice lake.

Me, personally, overall, I would plan on 25 mph ave. and study where marinas are.

There are a lot of places where you have to putter along in the lower Trent.

Regards

Thanks for the input so far. I guess I should say, I don't need to make it all the way to Trenton either. Even just a couple of days tour one way, and then back would be ok. The lock I really want to see/use is the lift lock in Kirkfield. Call me crazy - I just think the Locks are cool, so that would be the highlight for me.

I often travel from lower buckhorn ending in fenelon falls for lunch and back, many islands for over nighter if needed (never needed), I don't have a big boat but it's a great time for some one on one with nature.I also enjoy the locks and always buy a seasonal pass.

15' Legend Angler 25 HP

Friends of ours have done the Trent System a few times now but they have a 36' trawler and stay on board, they always seem to really enjoy it. As others have said, don't be in a hurry, there are a lot of miles where you are just putting along. If you make it to Sturgeon Lake and we haven't moved by then, you'd be more than welcome to spend a night or two here.

Here is another thought. Staying at a place around Burleigh Falls and doing day trips. You can check out a few of the lakes, do a trip to the lift lock. Some great fishing.

Just be careful going through Hells Gate

Regards