atlantic salmon meeting

chessy

I'm sorry but as an angler and former fly fishing guy I don't get wanting the Atlantic back as a sport fish. I grew up in the 50's/ 60's watching greats like Lee Wulff and Ted Williams fishing the Miramichi and other east coast rivers on American Sportsmen. Catching the fish of kings as I have heard it called in one of the Lake Ontario ditches would be akin to some of penned type big game hunts, just not on my bucket list.

I have voiced my opinion in person for years. It just falls on deaf ears. The MNR do what they want. These meetings are smoke and mirrors.

I have to agree with this. If history has shown us anything, it is that by the time MNR gets to the public meeting stage, it's to explain what they have already begun to do. The point of the meeting is not to solicit public opinion. They're there to tell you what is going to happen, and they couldn't care less how you feel about it.

It's too late. Atlantics in the Ganny is a done deal.

And while MNR will swear up and down that they have no plans to block other species at the ladder, don't be surprised if that changes over time. Things changed drastically on the Credit, didn't they? MNR will say they "have no plans to ..." and that's the cop-out. No one at the presentation will categorically state "Rainbows, browns, chinooks and coho will be 100% guaranteed passage through the dam, unimpeded and forever, regardless of what happens with the Atlantics." Go ahead and ask for that assurance. They won't give it.

remember they have a mandate that was voted in to bring back native species

Voted in? By whom? That's complete nonsense.

MNR's decision to focus on rehabilitating native species was a policy directive made by Queen's Park. No one voted on it. It was MNR's decision, and theirs alone.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

I'm sorry but as an angler and former fly fishing guy I don't get wanting the Atlantic back as a sport fish. I grew up in the 50's/ 60's watching greats like Lee Wulff and Ted Williams fishing the Miramichi and other east coast rivers on American Sportsmen. Catching the fish of kings as I have heard it called in one of the Lake Ontario ditches would be akin to some of penned type big game hunts, just not on my bucket list.

Like catching 4 pound largemouths from undercut banks on 65 pound power pro EH and people actually think thats fun, and some actually make good money doing it

It's the Heritage Specie Act. Those words exactly from MNR Newman. I was in his office with about 5 other guys.

He said immedaitly we could start on Atlantics and stocking Brown trout. The reps from each club and MNR bio went on a fact finding bus tour of the east coast. I didn't go on that but read all the documents.

A few years later we assembled all the club east of the Scarbourgh to deal with stocking Chinooks. MNR policy said no stocking east and had some bocas reasons. We went with a media approach putting out press releases to all the local news papers from Pickering to Brockville. Blair Dawson was phoning me at 11:30 pm to discuss. Took a a bit but the policy was dropped and stocking was spread more evenly across Lake O.

Anglers and Hunters were against us all the way.

And because of that the non native Atlantic's get free access to the whole watershed. I bet they left that part out of the meeting yesterday.

Rich

The Atlantics will get the same access to the Ganny as the bows, cohos, Chinooks, and migratory browns. They all get through the fishway, none of them get past any other dams on the river.

From what I've been told this program is going to be completely different then what going on now. I guess only time will tell, I just hope that it doesn't ruin the fishery that's in place already.

Rich.

Edited by Richard S.