Ice fishing rainbows

JoshS

Congrats on the rainbows! I think that's my next goal, having caught lakers, splake, brookies, and Auroras through the ice... Rainbows are actually my favorite fish for every reason, except for the difficulty I have in catching them most of the time.

To go back to an earlier portion of the conversation that I missed, my set lines are like this:

Half or so of a hockey stick with the ends cut off. Near the top , I drill a hole on an angle and shove half of a cheap fishing rod through it. On the opposite side, I put one of those reels that beeps when line is taken out. I throw a small hook with a piece of worm and a splitshot a few inches above, drop it in, and adjust the reel so that the line spools easily and then I wait for the inevitable beep!

I have two of these, in case whoever I am fishing with wants to use one. I set that somewhere, then jig with a rod in various other holes. I don't even have to look at the line if I'm close enough to hear the beeps. Is that cheating? No more than using a flasher, in my opinion.