O'Leary Calls out Wynne - NF

FloatnFly

Really? Wow thats voilating a persons rights for sure!

ask some random that on the street and I bet it ends up with a punch or slap!

These aren't government stats, Each political party has a "machine". They do their own stats and info gathering just like Google and Apple aim to know your children's ages, spending habits, .. Frig, name it they probably figured it out about you

These aren't government stats, Each political party has a "machine". They do their own stats and info gathering just like Google and Apple aim to know your children's ages, spending habits, .. Frig, name it they probably figured it out about you

Whats is canadas version of the NSA?

I would love to know what % of Wynnes votes came from the gay community,

Considering that gays probably make up about 3% of the population, I don't think that they would have formed a large portion of her support. Even if they all voted for her, they would still only be a minor factor.

Considering that gays probably make up about 3% of the population, I don't think that they would have formed a large portion of her support. Even if they all voted for her, they would still only be a minor factor.

Thanks, to be honest with you I would have thought it would have been quite a bit higher than that.

Thanks, to be honest with you I would have thought it would have been quite a bit higher than that.

It might be higher than that. I don't think that anybody really has a precise figure for what percentage of the population is gay. I think most surveys have shown that they make up less than 5% of the population. But surveys are not very reliable. I think the 3% figure is accurate; but I could be wrong.

I would love to know what % of Wynnes votes came from the gay community, not because they thought she would be good at the job but because she came out saying she was a lesbien. (just for the record I don't have any problem with anyone's preferances as long as they don't try to impose them on me.)

I would like to see the number of votes Trudeau got from college/university students over his marijuana promise....the number of legal voters on campuses that hear legalize marijuana, who otherwise may or may not be interested in voting, sure could skew the vote to him

I would like to see the number of votes Trudeau got from college/university students over his marijuana promise....the number of legal voters on campuses that hear legalize marijuana, who otherwise may or may not be interested in voting, sure could skew the vote to him

It may have been a factor in his win, but I doubt it was a major one. A forum research poll in November 2015 concluded that 18% of Canadian adults have smoked marijuana in the last year (http://poll.forumresearch.com/post/2426/most-want-it-licensed-and-sold-through-government-agencies/). In my opinion, it is unlikely that the entire 18% voted unanimously for Trudeau, so I believe it is fair to say that he received less than 18% of his votes from people based solely on his legalization promise.

Edited by Dutch01

It may have been a factor in his win, but I doubt it was a major one. A forum research poll in November 2015 concluded that 18% of Canadian adults have smoked marijuana in the last year (http://poll.forumresearch.com/post/2426/most-want-it-licensed-and-sold-through-government-agencies/). In my opinion, it is unlikely that the entire 18% voted unanimously for Trudeau, so I believe it is fair to say that he received less than 18% of his votes from people based solely on his legalization promise.

I would say thats truth. After all these people smoke regardless. Also im assuming (but I think thats fair) that many of these so called 18% have other political interests outside of legal marijuana

The thing to keep in mind is that the 18% is of total Canadian adults represents far more than 18% of Trudeau's supporters. If the 18% of adults who had smoked marijuana in the last year had voted for Trudeau, that would represent about 67% of his voters.

Approximately 68% of eligiable voters cast a ballot in the election. Of those, about 39.5% voted Liberal. So, about 27% of Canadian adults voted Liberal (39.5% of 68% = 26.9%) in the election. If 100% of pot smoking adults voted Liberal that would represent (18%/27%=67%) of his votes.

I agree that it is unlikely that they all voted Liberal; it is unlikely that they all voted period. But even if half of them voted Liberal, that would be a full third of the votes that he received. It is pretty save to say that at least one third of his supporter were marijauna users. However, there is really no way to calculate how many of them actually based their decision to vote Liberal based on his promise to legalize marijauna.

If one quarter of those 18% voted Liberal because of his promise, that would represent 6.6% of the voters which would drop his support from 39.5% to 32.9%. If the Conservatives picked up 50% of those votes then the Conservatives would have won in the popular vote 35.2% to 32.9% which would have resulted in a Conservative minority. This is all speculation, but I think that promise may have swayed the results.

He may have also picked up support from non-users who support legalization. There are some of those; myself included.

Edited by JohnBacon

I think that you have missinterpreted the percentages.

18% of Canadian adults represents far more than 18% of Trudeau's supporters. If the 18% of adults who had smoked marijuana in the last year had voted for Trudeau, that would represent about 67% of his voters.

Approximately 68% of eligiable voters cast a ballot in the election. Of those, about 39.5% voted Liberal. So, about 27% of Canadian adults voted Liberal (39.5% of 68% = 26.9%) in the election. If 100% of pot smoking adults voted Liberal that would represent (18/27=67%) of his votes.

I agree that it is unlikely that they all voted Liberal; it is unlikely that they all voted period. But even if half of them voted in Liberal that would be a full third of the votes that he received.

And thats completely inconceivable.

These numbers, I believe are skewed. But its all we have to go on so it is what it is

Edited by manitoubass2

The thing to keep in mind is that the 18% is of total Canadian adults represents far more than 18% of Trudeau's supporters. If the 18% of adults who had smoked marijuana in the last year had voted for Trudeau, that would represent about 67% of his voters.

Approximately 68% of eligiable voters cast a ballot in the election. Of those, about 39.5% voted Liberal. So, about 27% of Canadian adults voted Liberal (39.5% of 68% = 26.9%) in the election. If 100% of pot smoking adults voted Liberal that would represent (18%/27%=67%) of his votes.

I agree that it is unlikely that they all voted Liberal; it is unlikely that they all voted period. But even if half of them voted Liberal, that would be a full third of the votes that he received. It is pretty save to say that at least one third of his supporter were marijauna users. However, there is really no way to calculate how many of them actually based their decision to vote Liberal based on his promise to legalize marijauna.

If one quarter of those 18% voted Liberal because of his promise, that would represent 6.6% of the voters which would drop his support from 39.5% to 32.9%. If the Conservatives picked up 50% of those votes then the Conservatives would have won in the popular vote 35.2% to 32.9% which would have resulted in a Conservative minority. This is all speculation, but I think that promise may have swayed the results.

He may have also picked up support from non-users who support legalization. There are some of those; myself included.

You have a point, I did no math. I reasoned that pot smokers are regular Canadians. Only a percentage of regular Canadians vote. I believe a like percentage of pot smokers vote. The question is, which way will they vote?

"If 100% of pot smoking adults voted Liberal"

I do not believe that this is what occurred. I know many people who partake and no two are alike. Different personalities, political agendas, etc. "Marijuana users" is not a homogenous group. That 18% of Canadians used marijuana last year does not mean they all vote, or even that they all want legalization. Some of that 18% will also be drug sellers who may prefer the status quo.

In my opinion, it garnered him some votes. I don't think it was what put him over the top. I think to believe so misses what really put him over the top. He made a conscious commitment to positivity and he sold his message well. Harper was perceived to be negative, and his attack ads supported that perception. Those attack ads also backfired. They used out of context sound bites to paint him in a bad light and said he's just not ready. But at the first debate, which I consider to be a turning point, Trudeau came off as polished and confident. He didn't resemble the guy the Conservatives tried to portray. And he sold a message of hope to a large constituency who wanted anyone but Harper, who were desperate for someone to rally behind.

The resounding message in the media, editorials and that I encountered on the street after Trudeau's win was one of renewed optimism. I think it was a masterful job of framing the narrative by Trudeau and his campaign. That is what I think put him over the top.

Edited by Dutch01

Please explain to my why the only thing Trudeau has done since being elected is follows

Increased and already spent 4.2 billion in foreign aid in 2016

Was able not to have Canada invited to the last NATO defence counsel meeting

Made a speech to the US bankers and investors and within 48 hours of the speech more than 20 US firms canceled all ready allocated funds to exploration and expansion projects in Canada

And now the rumour is that the Trudeau budget March 22nd may increase the portion of capital gains that is taxed from 50% to 75%. Nice move. Really kick those of us without a pension in the teeth. Its hard enough to try to save for retirement in this low return world, but now they want to take that too. All part of the master plan to make the crappy Ontario Pension plan look like a better alternative.

Don't forget that capital gains include the effect of inflation. Example is you buy bank stocks worth $10,000 to save for retirement. If all the stocks do is keep up with inflation, lets say after 20 years with a 2% per year gain (inflation only) you have about $15,000. You get taxed on 5,000 gain, so you get to keep less than the 15,000. So economically you are worse off that you were day 1 with the 10,000 in terms of buying power. That is why it is only fair to tax 50% of the gains (the way it is done now). The Liberals are toying with changing that. Of course that will only hurt those that have to save for their own retirement and don't have a gold plated pension plan (like many Union and government employees).

And now the rumour is that the Trudeau budget March 22nd may increase the portion of capital gains that is taxed from 50% to 75%. Nice move. Really kick those of us without a pension in the teeth. Its hard enough to try to save for retirement in this low return world, but now they want to take that too. All part of the master plan to make the crappy Ontario Pension plan look like a better alternative.

Don't forget that capital gains include the effect of inflation. Example is you buy bank stocks worth $10,000 to save for retirement. If all the stocks do is keep up with inflation, lets say after 20 years with a 2% per year gain (inflation only) you have about $15,000. You get taxed on 5,000 gain, so you get to keep less than the 15,000. So economically you are worse off that you were day 1 with the 10,000 in terms of buying power. That is why it is only fair to tax 50% of the gains (the way it is done now). The Liberals are toying with changing that. Of course that will only hurt those that have to save for their own retirement and don't have a gold plated pension plan (like many Union and government employees).

Under Harper you could put $10,000 a year into tax free savings, under Trudeau you can still put $5,000 in.

That money doesn't have to be in just a savings account, it can be in pretty much any investment you want

You didn't factor in the div. Which is the reason for having bank stock.

The dividend is taxed too but that was not my point. We are paying tax on inflation and the liberals may want to increase the inflation tax.

Bottom line is the only place the Liberals or any government gets money is from your wallet and bank account. They are spending from your accounts so for Christ's sake, hold them accountable for taking your money and wasting it and then asking for more.

Edited by Canuck

Bottom line is the only place the Liberals or any government gets money is from your wallet and bank account. They are spending from your accounts so for Christ's sake, hold them accountable for taking your money and wasting it and then asking for more.

Liberal Economics

12794521_1189996327692368_23754264930696