Used 18' Aluminum Boats

krawler

In the market for a boat. Simply put i cant afford a new boat and likely wont in the near future. id like to upgrade from my current 16' Lund. I mainly troll big water for trout and salmon.

Considering the option of buying an older Aluminum like late 90's or early 2000's, upgrading to a newer four stroke and doing some interior work. Would anyone recommend this?

The benefit of buying a newer boat is that id likely be getting a hull design that handles big water with ease, trolls well and is stable at all speeds, no leaks in the hull and the confidence of buying something new. With an older hull design I feel I might not be getting the quality ride and quality as I would with a new hull design.

All this being said I'm more concerned about the ride quality, I want something that can handle rougher water, is stable at all speeds especially trolling and doesn't get pushed around by the wind. Full windshield and high gunnels is a must.

I don't have much experience with older aluminum boats but what boat manufacturer would you guys recommend based on what I described.

thank you

I have a newer Crestliner. My older 2003 was built way better - sturdier, more features, and no significant (meaning real improvements that aren't just technical babble designed to convince consumers to buy a newer model) hull changes.

I think your plan is a good one.

Your biggest concern will be the transom - is there any dry rot and is it capable of holding the heavier 4 strokes that became more prevalent after 2000. I know Crestliners in the late 90's/early 2000's had weak transom issues.

It won't be easy though because often people overvalue older boats and tend to forget that the motor is almost worthless and could die at any moment possibly.

Finding one with a galvanized trailer is a good idea too.

Btw - there is a Princecraft Hudson Dlx on Kijiji now. My friend bought a used one last year and it is a great boat - light to tow, clean layout that could be modified easily and WAAAAY more room than my 16' Crestliner Fish hawk. My friend paid 9000 for his with a 70 4 stroke with 200 hours on it and it was a 2000 model. Needed new trailer bunks and had a new 70# trolling motor - as a point of reference.

Good luck

What's your budget? You could probably get a pretty nice older starcraft islander for anywhere from 8-13k depending how done up you want it. I know a guy who has one, and it's a pretty sweet boat. Only downside is there are very few of them that are set up for an outboard. Mainly I/O.

If you want big water ride quality, a 18ft aluminum isn't going to give it to you, doesn't really matter who makes it. I've got pretty much exactly what you described (Lund 1700 Pro Sport).. It can take big, rough water with ease, but if you've gotta get up and go it's going to be a rough ride even if you've got it trimmed all the way out. Only thing that would make it a lot easier on your back would be some suspension seats which are $$$$...

I run a 91 Sea Nymph 19.5 on Lake Huron and G bay..

No issues running lots of rods and still having the room to move around with three guys. Nice and deep with a full windshield.

starcraft/princecraft/lund/seanymph would all be on the top of my list.

In another month or two you should see some up for sale. When you seen one that is priced reasonable you need to move on it quick..

Good luck with the search

lots of decent boats out there, just remember to check tow rating of your vehicle 16 to 18 ft can be quit the jump in weight.

if your looking at big water and want to be smooth riding glass is yioyr best bet and with that i would find a renger 618 or a ranger reatta as my fisrt choice in glass a stratos 386 second choice.

for tin boats really can t beat lund with the starcraft being nice as well

Any boat will beat you up on rough water. I don't care what you tell me. If its rough, your going to feel it.

S.

X2

Bigger boats help in "chop" but anything 3-4' high an bigger it doesn't matter what size boat your pounding hard

My brother has a 20' Deep v ranger and we have had tournaments where I was hurting at the end of the day... That being said in my 16 footer comfort would have taken a back seat to safety that day lol

Any boat will beat you up on rough water. I don't care what you tell me. If its rough, your going to feel it.

S.

X3

I have to keep off plane some days running into the waves with my 22 ft glass boat Rollers are one thing 3-4 ft whitecaps are another.

Edited by Freshtrax

Thanks for the many responses, I'm pretty familiar with big water boating and trolling. I run a 16' Alaskan in the big stuff. I'm just looking for something bigger in every dimension and something that can provide a bit more comfort in all conditions.

After doing quite a bit of research, buying an older boat has left me with many hesitations. Leaks, cracks, transom rotting etc. i may have to spend some time and expand my search and find something newer. Been looking at the princecraft Super pros.

if I was a Great Lakes or simcoe troller, I would go for a fibreglass in the 22-24 foot range. Especially in the used market you can get a really solid boat as they are not too well sought after and would be more stable in big water than an 18 foot tin boat. Mind you they are a beast to trailer around.