NF-Shingle repair

LostAnotherOne

Hey guys. Just moved into my new house a month ago. Last week I had over 10 shingles land on the ground after a crazy wind storm. Not too sure how old roof is, but if I had to guess probably 10-15 years old. Had a guy come out yesterday and for $100 he put the old shingles back up for me. I don't have a ladder that goes high enough. Today we had wind gust of almost 70km and another 8 has fallen down. I live out in the country so the wind is just picking them right up cause the part of the roof that has them falling off has an angle of like 10 degrees so its pretty flat. Going to purchase a ladder tomorrow and going to do it myself. Just a few questions. Should I even attempt to inform my insurance broker and see what he says? Should I use the same shingles that blew off or should I buy new ones? When nailing the new shingles in should I apply a roofing cement under it first? Any info would be great guys. Thanks

Each shingle is held down with 7-8 roofing nails and a a bead of roof adhesive. Old shingles that fly off roofs in wind storms usually have missing nails an/or the adhesive is no longer holding or the shingle is torn. Cold weather also makes them brittle. If the ones that were on the ground are in good shape, I would reuse them, but judging from the number shingles that pulled loose, you probably will have to by a bundle or two of new ones. For the old one apply a bead of roofing tar over the old adhesive bead. For the new ones you don't need to reapply anything.

Remember that you will have to remove the old roofing nails two rows above the replacement spot. This will temporarily solve your problem for now. You may get lucky and get yourself another year out of the fix. I was in a similar position a couple of years ago and cash was limited so I was fixing the roof on a regular basis until I could afford a new one. Raccoons found the faulty shingles easily and began to rip the roof apart. That's something else to look out for.

Like was said above, a new roof will soon be in order, the fix is only temporary.

From my limited knowledge of roofing, I understand that you shouldn't put an asphalt roof on at these temperatures. Apparently it has something to do with warm temps being needed to set up the roof. So said the last roofer I spoke to anyway. Look into it before you jump in .

In cold weather the sealing strip on new shingles will not adhere. They need hot sun to melt that strip to the other shingle. Use roofing tar to get the replacements to stick to the old ones.

Makes sense

Edited by icedude

I just went through the same thing on my 7 year old house/roof . Whenever we got a good west wind ( which is weekly up here in north Dufferin county)

I would loose shingles . I called a roofer in the beginning to fix them but that got a bit pricey so I decided to try , ya that didn't work out so well when I

almost fell off the roof . That was the last straw so I called my insurance company and told them I had wind damage . They sent out an adjuster to look at it

and next thing I know I have a roofing company calling saying they where given the go ahead to put down a new roof (shingles) . New roof put down last September

and I couldn't be happier . Give your insurance company a call and see what they say . By the sounds of it you need a new roof and you will be fixing shingles every

wind storm we get until its done . Not sure if you priced out new roofs yet but they are pretty pricey . The bill to the insurance company for mine was almost $20,000 !!!

The reason you see more and more shingles and even siding blow off newer built home is because they no longer use real plywood on the roofs and walls of these homes.

Years ago it was clap board on the walls and roof......then it went to plywood that also held the nails very good. Now you have particle board on the roof and walls and that stuff doesn't hold the nails well enough to handle the high winds.

Next after a good wind while driving to work or wherever, take the time to see what house have shingles and siding coming off.....it's mostly the newer constructed homes because of what I mentioned above.

These days 3/8 inch plywood is used on most new house roofs GTA and south Ont which is down from 1/2 inch to save costs. Thinner plywood does not hold the shingle nail as well as 1/2 inch. I don't think anybody uses particle board on roofs but OSB is being used on new house roofs across Canada. The OSB used on roof is heavier around 1/2 to 5/8 inch thick and should hold the nail ok unless it gets wet through.

Patch your roof the best you can and look at replacing it with steel or better quality shingles in the warmer weather. When the roof leaks the house deteriorates quickly.

I've found it rare that people actually have the nails pull out and lose a whole shingle, most of the wind damage I've seen is on roofs a few years old and usually on a south facing slope where the sun has started them curling a bit and the wind rips off a tab here and there.