Driving To Florida - Detroit or Buffallo

FLEX ROD

Well on Tuesday we will be leaving for Sarasota Florida, I have Googled it and it is telling me to go through Buffalo but I have spoken to a few people and they are telling me to do the Detroit route.

Just looking for some feed back as to what the Community thinks.

Thanks in advance - FLEX

Go down through Buffalo and come back up through Detroit or vice versa. It is not much difference. I really liked the drive through West Virginia. Go down one way and back up the next, you'll get to see more country that way.

Yup, done it many times, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Do both and enjoy.

Go down through Buffalo and come back up through Detroit or vice versa. It is not much difference. I really liked the drive through West Virginia. Go down one way and back up the next, you'll get to see more country that way.

Yup, done it many times, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Do both and enjoy.

Thanks folks, as for seeing more country, I drove to Arizona and Los Vegas last year so as far as seeing more country I think that I have that covered :)

I just hate the drive through Windsor, flat and boring so I am leaning to doing the Buffalo / West Virginia route.

Does anybody know if one route has less tolls vs the other route?

Thank you for your replies.

FLEX

2 choices I-95 or I-75. The I-95 through Buffalo to Erie PA is a more scenic trip but bad weather through the Cumberland Pass is a bit*&. I-75 straight down from Detroit is boring, boring, boring. Nothing much but flat highway all the way there and back.

If the weather reports are good for when you go take Buffalo to the I-95 for sure. There is a short cut straight to Pittsburg short of Erie through NY that saves time.

NY state has the only toll roads. I-90.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

2 choices I-95 or I-75. The I-95 through Buffalo to Erie PA is a more scenic trip but bad weather through the Cumberland Pass is a bit*&. I-75 straight down from Detroit is boring, boring, boring. Nothing much but flat highway all the way there and back.

If the weather reports are good for when you go take Buffalo to the I-95 for sure. There is a short cut straight to Pittsburg short of Erie through NY that saves time.

Thank you I / we will be leaving bright and early on Tuesday so unless the weather changes Buffalo I-95 it will be.

FLEX

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Woodbridge,+Vaughan,+ON,+Canada/Sarasota,+FL/@35.2388064,-91.0066442,5z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x882b257a9ad0b911:0xecea3dfb3abd0ac2!2m2!1d-79.609243!2d43.7761753!1m5!1m1!1s0x88c337e69db2c22b:0xe335341d1d5715d9!2m2!1d-82.5306527!2d27.3364347!5i2

Er Tuesday, changing weather, but once you get a bit further south all should be good! I took I-75 down to Tampa in 2009, driving thru Georgia took forever, and I saw more speed traps there than the rest of the trip combined.

For me it's just weather. Sarnia and down you don't hit the mountain's until Tennessee. And it's a boring drive.

Going thru West Virginia you get into the mountains in Ny and stay in them till North Carolina. One of the great drives if you hit nice wearther.

Just read that storm track I would leave early and get thru Ny then hit Virginia. Sometimes you are going around a corner for 15 minutes. If it's sunny you can see miles and miles.

Edited by Garnet

I drive it each yeah year for the past 10 yrs or so. I've done both and I prefer the The West Virginia route. Someone mentioned I-95, this is wrong, it's I-90, Buffalo to Erie, toll costs $3.90 US. The West Virginia route is slightly more complicated in that there are more changes in routes, i.e. I-90 to I-79 in Erie, then it's I-77 to I-20, then I-95 and finally on to I-75. There are 2 more tolls but they are minimal, $1.25 and $0.50 (I think). Be careful around Summersville, WV, they love to ticket Canadians for speeding.....a very inhospitable place in my opinion and so I never give the businesses there any of my money. Your GPS will probably take you to Daytona along I-95 to I-4 through Orlando and that's OK. But if you go through I10 in Jaksonville, to 301 then be careful along this route.....plenty of speed traps. The only other matter is weather through Eire and the mountains in WV......pay attention to the forecasts.

So an extra hour and change plus a very busy border crossing. But other than that I guess what I said has no merit.....

did i say that? no. according to google map directions, its 20hrs 46min through windsor/detroit, 20hrs 20min through Buffalo, and 21hrs 5min through Sarnia. All border crossings will be busy depending on time of day you cross. I grew up in Sarnia, watched them build the twin bridge, have travelled it many times, its busy from about 10am - 4pm, then tapers off

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/31332773/web-update-interstate-75-shut-down-in-tennessee

" Interstate 75 shut down at Kentucky-Tennessee line for weeks "

" The detour would normally take about one hour, but with heavier traffic could take hours. "

Just an update for anyone planning on heading south, I - 75 might not be a good choice.

Can't really offer any help on specific routes to take but I can tell you , like others is keep an eye out on the weather for Tuesday .

There is a messy storm forming for that time period and as of right now it is scheduled to hit southern Ontario on Tuesday afternoon .

Not sure how far you can get in a day but the center of low is suppose to be in upper New York state on Tuesday night with trailing

mixed precip. going down the east coast of the U.S right into Wednesday . Things can obviously change but it is something you should

definitely keep an eye on . If things change for better or worse I will try to post again in the next day if you want, good luck and have a

great vacation !