If you were looking for a new tiller boat

bigcreekdad

I've had a pretty reliable Alumacraft 165 Magnum tiller for 16 years. It's been a damn good boat. I'm on my second Yamaha...60hp. I fish with it at least 4 weeks a year in Ontario, as well as outings to several lakes near our cabin in northern Michigan.

I've been toying with a new boat. Still a tiller, but maybe moving up a foot in length...reason being, I'm fishing a bit more with my two sons and casting with 3 would be easier. And, newer boats seem to have way better rod storage. Finally, starting to have some rot in the floors.

None of the above are big issues. That being said, I'm closer to 70 than 65, and likely may not outlive (at least as an independent boater) a new boat. However, a new boat would be "fun" and, as I wind down from semi retirement, I'll likely use it more in the short run (0-10 years).

So...if you were in my shoes, would you make the leap, and, if so, what brand/model would you consider? I'm partial to Alumacraft, and, obviously, would include Lund in the search, but give me your thoughts.

This is a great,diverse group...I'm hoping for lots of "chat".

I've been mulling a what if scenario if I went to a bigger tiller. Alumacraft or the G3 17f tiller with a 60-70hp would likely be my choice. Lund pro guide or Crestliner pro tillers is a bit too big and quite expensive for my needs.

Classic or competitor for alumacraft

Angler v170t for G3

Edited by Spooled

The new alumacraft tillers are amazing boats, the 18' has so much room and storage. They ride nice. The 20' er is unreal haha I'd love one of those. I love how you can walk around the whole perimeter of the boat like the whole thing is a casting deck and how the deck extends over the splash well. Super nice boats.. and I have a lund lol my Dad has the 18' alumacraft with a 90 etec. Handles big water no problem

Edited by Bondar

The new alumacraft tillers are amazing boats, the 18' has so much room and storage. They ride nice. The 20' er is unreal haha I'd love one of those. I love how you can walk around the whole perimeter of the boat like the whole thing is a casting deck and how the deck extends over the splash well. Super nice boats.. and I have a lund lol my Dad has the 18' alumacraft with a 90 etec. Handles big water no problem

Who are some recommended dealers in Ontario? Wish Bay city still carried them!

Thanks

Edited by Spooled

I've run my cousins 18 Lund pro guide 90 merc 4 stroke a bunch of times

AWESOME boat... Especially with the power steering on the tiller... My old 9.9 was harder to handle then this 90

I was also recently looking at the Roplene boats from triumph... But these boats don't have any frills... Very basic...

If I could get a new tiller boat tomorrow and money wasn't a factor for the purchase I'd likely get a

Lund pro guide 1775 (17' 9") with a 90 hp 4 stroke (max hp) with power steering

This also has 9' rod storage wich is a big deal for is musky guys

If you've been happy with your alumacraft, then stick with the brand. I've never been in one, but I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about them! They have some pretty good looking boats from what I've seen. I do love lund Alaskans though, that would be the other boat I'd look at.

the double hull on the alumacraft was a big selling point for me when I bought my boat in 2001 I got the 185 trophy alumacraft with a 150 and it is a very stable boat in big water. I don't know if lund has the double hull.