Credit River Tragedy

Spiel

My deepest condolences the family, friends and the community.

Is it just me but it seems every week this winter in Ontario someone dies on the water. My impression is that people are taking bigger and bigger risks today. These were not 2 stupid people. Why no PFD's, rule #1, and why would someone wear chestwaders in a Kayak that will fill full of water if you capsize and take you down like a rock? I am guilty of having a PFD in a canoe went it capsized a mile offshore on Erie and didn't have it on, that was stupid and lazy, I got lucky. I just don't understand. What a waste. If they were friends of mine I would be very upset with them.

I wear my PFD always when in my kayak or one man pontoon boat.

I also usually have my waders on. Believe it or not when submerged waders do not fill up like a balloon and drag you to the bottom.

Water pressure presses the waders against your body restricting water intrusion.

I once slipped while crossing some tricky water and ended up taking a sleigh ride through a class I shute and at the end of it all had very little water in my waders and at no time was I sucked to the bottom.

I have been in water deeper than my waders (not on purpose) at the lake and you can actually swim pretty good, especially in breathable waders. ;)

I wear my PFD always when in my kayak or one man pontoon boat.

I also usually have my waders on. Believe it or not when submerged waders do not fill up like a balloon and drag you to the bottom.

Water pressure presses the waders against your body restricting water intrusion.

I once slipped while crossing some tricky water and ended up taking a sleigh ride through a class I shute and at the end of it all had very little water in my waders and at no time was I sucked to the bottom.

I have been in water deeper than my waders (not on purpose) at the lake and you can actually swim pretty good, especially in breathable waders. ;)

In order for something to "take you down like a rock" , it would have to be heavier than water. Water weighs the same as water and will not pull you down. That is why a plastic bucket full water will not sink to the bottom.

Having waders could cause some issues though. Waders that are full of water will not pull you down, but they will make it difficult to climb out. The water is neutrally buoyant in water; not in air. That is why a bucket full of water is heavy when lifted out of the water. If your waders were full of water, you might have to remove them to climb out of the water.

Waders may also make fighting the current more difficult.

If the waders were neoprene the would probably help. They would add floatation and probably would catch too much current because they fit tight to your body.

Edited by JohnBacon

Someone told me we should wear the special PFD just for kayak, is it true or any PFD should be ok?

some pfd's are short so they don't interfere with the skirt and tunnel. all depends on what type of kayak is in use. as well some pads designed for whitewater will have a 'stilton' grip panel on the inside so there's minimal ride up. very important if you're swimming frothy water. My Stohlquist has these gripper panels and they are worth the extra expense

While the water will be neutral buoyant, if the waders fill up with water (really, we all have belts right ?) then dragging those balloon sacks is going to be an epic battle. Real world experience - tore a hole in my drysuit by the knee during a spring whitewater run. Leg filled up and getting around the river, which was already screaming, was no easy task. So yeah, think about dragging a large garbage bag full of water through current and tell me how it goes ;)

Also heard on the radio that they were 'experienced kayakers'. Will be harsh but they definitely were not imo and they paid dearly for the lack of cold weather, moving water knowledge.

Another thing about paddling in the winter, EVERYTHING freezes up. Zippers WILL NOT unzip, throw bags will not throw as easily etc..

Stay safe and be careful around rivers in the winter.

You'd be surprised. I had to run down the shore to catch a canoe with waders full of water, it was comical.

If you end up in the water swimming with your waders on, take the straps off your shoulders and swim normally and the waders fall off. Getting sucked down is a myth.

\/ \/ \/ what Rick said, feet forward but also feet high, if you get a foot caught in the rocks the current won't let you pull it out.

Edited by chris.brock

You'd be surprised. I had to run down the shore to catch a canoe with waders full of water, it was comical.

If you end up in the water swimming with your waders on, take the straps off your shoulders and swim normally and the waders fall off. Getting sucked down is a myth.

And wear a belt!!!

Water has a hard time filling you up with one on. ;)

Also, without a real bad situation, people should know how to float the rapids if possible.

On your back, feet forward, dont fight the current.

Use an angle to paddle yourself to shore if possible.

Sounds like this wasnt an option in this situation but its worth mentioning

And keep your body straight. You don't to smack a rock with your tail bone.

One of the KEY things when paddling whitewater (for example) is that you are entrusting members of your group with your life if things go south. and they are counting on you to do the same. Have been on both ends of this equation (not life threatening but a rough time) and knowing the group has your back is beyond reassuring.

It's also very important that the group dynamics are such that there won't be any shaming if one chooses to not run a particular set on a given day. It happens. If the testosterone level is at 11, it's probably best to find another group to hang with.

The following story by the New York Times, while not exactly the same as my example, shows what can happen when the group dynamics/heirarchy are such that people don't question things. Its an amazing read, not surprising since it's the NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2012/snow-fall/#/?part=tunnel-creek

I paddle the river all year long and was a little surprised as this outcome. Maybe I shouldn't be.

Did anyone else see the picture of the 2 kayaks? The first kayak flat on top of the ice and the second one was right beside it. It had broken through the ice and was half in and half out on a 45 degree angle I think. It made me think one of them went through, got into trouble the other went in to help and they both drowned.

Social media, youtube, go pro etc. Have these platforms/ technologies increased thrill seeking by inexperienced outdoor's people?