Credit River Tragedy

Spiel

One dead, one missing after empty kayaks found in Credit River

credit_river___Content.jpg
CREDIT RIVER Andrew Collins, Special for the
Peel paramedics, Halton police and Caledon OPP are seen on the banks of the Credit River after one woman was pronounced dead on the scene after a kayaking accident near Winston Churchill Blvd. in Halton Hills Sunday afternoon. Police are searching for the body of a second person, a man, paramedics said. Their empty kayaks were found stuck in the ice of the Credit.
Hamilton Spectator

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6327195-one-dead-one-missing-after-empty-kayaks-found-in-credit-river/

One kayaker is dead and another is missing after their kayaks were found empty and stuck in the ice of the Credit River in Caledon Sunday afternoon.

Emergency crews responded to a section of the Credit River near Winston Churchill Blvd. and King St. at 2:50 p.m. after a receiving a complaint about two empty kayaks stuck in the ice in the middle of the river, according to the Ontario Provincial Police.

Crews later recovered the body of a female kayaker. She was pronounced dead on scene, Peel paramedics said.

Paramedics said police were searching for a second body, but on Sunday evening, an OPP spokesperson could not confirm whether the search for the second kayaker, a male, is being treated as a search-and-rescue or recovery mission.

OPP Aviation Services, Emergency Response Team members and K9 and patrol officers are currently searching for the male and will deploy more resources, including the Underwater Search and Recovery Unit, Monday morning.

The name of the female kayaker has not been released pending notification of next of kin.

That's horrible, tragic and baffling. I can't imagine how one let alone two kayakers could die in the Credit River. Regardless of time of year.

warm weekend coupled with faster than normal current due to run off, plus any ice that remained that water was flowing over. not to mention the temperature of the water to begin with, especially if they weren't dressed for it

I tried shore fishing on the grand river yesterday. Water was up and moving pretty quick. Out of the blue, a large flow of broken ice drifted down river. Something upstream must have let go. I can imagine it would be tough to paddle through a mess of ice like that.

It's always sad to hear about a tragedy such as this one. This pair of kayakers were out trying to have a little fun on a nice winter day. One mistake or sudden change in conditions can quickly ruin a fun day. I suspect one of them got into a bit of trouble and the other tried to help. Please don't judge them. Look at the people in your life that you care about and consider how you would feel if you lost a loved one that took a risk and made a mistake.

My condolences go to the families.

Never paddled that section, usually run Streetsville from the rink down to the lake in March. In spring, water can be honking and as mentioned strainers /sweepers are deadly if you can't avoid or know how to swim over them.

If they weren't dressed properly (drysuit for me) then it wouldn't take long for them to succumb and a heart attack is highly probable, depending on age etc..

I hope the other paddler didn't go under the ice as he could be trapped anywhere downstream. I hope they find them quick so family can have closure.

I've paddled those rivers. The easiest way to die is get caught in a sweeper, a fallen tree.

Sad story.

Yup, better know where you're going especially on some rivers.

This was a back channel off the Upper Kenai River in Alaska.

A group of 5 borrowed a 16' pontoon to float the river and went down a back channel that is known to be almost impassable.

The raft actually stopped upright when it hit the sweeper. It wasn't until one of them got off onto the log when things went bad in a hurry. All went into the water and 2 older gentlemen (over 80) nearly drowned.

My buddy and I rescued the raft so that the owner could retrieve it. ;)

RaftRescue1.jpg

RaftRescue2.jpg

RaftRescue3.jpg

RaftRescue4.jpg

It can happen to anyone of us. Very tragic. Seems they have found the male friend. Same fate as the female. :(

they haven't found the other body yet, search resumes in the morning

U of Guelph students, son a well known Doctor.

seems they were trying to cross a frozen section.

oh god...i heard about this on the news and here but didnt have much to say...but now I know who the victims are...oh god this is so unbelievably horrible wow.

My dad is a lifetime member of the Kinsmen, and one of his buddies from the Georgetown chapter Dr. Jeff Sutherland has also been a lifetime member. Doctor Jeff has won citizen of the year in Georgetown for his work in the community the guy is a legend around town.

Years ago Jeff was diagnosed with ALS...His slow decline has been really really tough for the community to watch, but the guy is so driven he continued to work as a GP even after the point he was confined to a wheel chair and losing his speech.

Dr. Jeff is now in the late stages of ALS and requires 24 hour care and breathing assistance etc...

The tragedy here is that the victims are Jeff's son and his girlfriend...wow...sometimes I wonder why certain people have the worst luck...that family has enough to deal with...wow wow wow this is so sad.

My deepest condolences the family, friends and the community.

Is it just me but it seems every week this winter in Ontario someone dies on the water. My impression is that people are taking bigger and bigger risks today. These were not 2 stupid people. Why no PFD's, rule #1, and why would someone wear chestwaders in a Kayak that will fill full of water if you capsize and take you down like a rock? I am guilty of having a PFD in a canoe went it capsized a mile offshore on Erie and didn't have it on, that was stupid and lazy, I got lucky. I just don't understand. What a waste. If they were friends of mine I would be very upset with them.