Float suit advice

Dutch01

I've worn out a mustang and now have a Helly Hanson....both great, but if I was going to do it again it would be arctic armour 2 piece. Just so much more comfy and I hate wearing my one piece suit in the hut. Most times the last couple years I wear my duck hunting gear on the ice. Just more comfy and its nice to take the parka off in the hut and just wear the bibs.

I like the once piece on first or last ice, but for the most part, I hate wearing a one piece suit, and I don't plan on falling thru the ice.

S.

I have been running a salus endurance class float suite for about 6 years now, and am very happy with it.

One thing I would caution you on about salus. They don't seem to be designed for heavy set folks. and it's hard (impossible) to fit a pair of Baffin titans on and actually fully zip the ankle zippers.

My two cents.

I am a strong salus supporter. But you kind of need to be fit to wear one.

This is so true. A buddy and I arrived at Elwood Epps in Orillia before 8 this morning. I had my heart set on the Salus, but alas it was not to be. It fit perfect everywhere except around the middle. It did fit my buddy perfectly so he grabbed it.

Next up was the Mustang MS-195 Atlantic Class. The suit fit perfectly, and I was sold. Great suit, perfect fit, and only $389.

Suits bought by 830, we decided to head for gilford to test them out. Sadly we only saw dink perch, and caught a handful of them only.

The only issue I had was being too warm!. I will definitely wear fewer base layers next time.

Anyways, thanks for the help all.

Edited by Dutch01

How did the guy drown in a floater suit???

I've heard they lose buoyancy over time, maybe it was past its service life?

I didn't want to highjack the other thread so I thought I would post this here where it is more on topic.

Many (most?) of the so called floater suits are not approved as a PFD. That raises the question; just how much floatation does do they (non-approved ones) provide? I suspect that if they don't have approval it is because the don't meet the requirement for a PFD (I believe that is a mimimum of 15 pounds of floatation).

I wonder if people are getting a false sense of security when the where a 'floater suit' that is not approved for use as a PFD.

Many of the unapproved ones don't have the certification due to the manufacturors not summiting them for Canadian DOT testing process.

Some may very well pass the testing but due to predicted sale volumes certification may not be monetarily responsible.

There are cases of PFD's getting US approval but not Canadian for this reason.

Edited by Woodsman

There are many classes of 'survival' and 'immersion' suits. The best ones are the immersion suits (like you see on "Deadliest Catch") with built in boots, gloves, and hoods. These will give you a couple of hours in icy water but can only be worn in an emergency and are donned just as you abandon ship. They are totally impractical for walking around or working in. The typical suits we wear ice fishing are not dry suits and whether they're one piece or two, you are going to get wet if you go in. They keep you afloat and offer some level of hypothermia protection but it's really only minutes in ice cold water and are more effective in warmer water. That said, they are whole lot better than nothing if you end up in the water.

Edited by G.mech

Well then I guess I better use those minutes to haul my butt back up on the ice!

I never have more than two pops on the ice. I hate to speculate but from the sounds of the story in the other thread I think alcohol may have been a factor. Regardless it's a sad outcome for a day of fishing.

I have been running a salus endurance class float suite for about 6 years now, and am very happy with it.

One thing I would caution you on about salus. They don't seem to be designed for heavy set folks. and it's hard (impossible) to fit a pair of Baffin titans on and actually fully zip the ankle zippers.

My two cents.

I am a strong salus supporter. But you kind of need to be fit to wear one.

+1 on this

I have the 1400TL pants for the 2 piece and the leg zippers are tight going over the boots however I've never tried going under the boots as I prefer the pants going over.

The Salus is built really well, I had a pair of Arctic Armour that I sold because I felt the Salus is built much better.

Good info here. Thanx. I've been favoring the Arctic Armour on another post. But I'm the guy who wants to try it before buying it. Where would I find a retailer for Salus comfort lite 1400 or the Odessy model. Do you know the price of the 1400?

take a trip to waterloo and go right to the source

What do you guys wear for base layers? Someone told me fleece is best.....

Moisture wicking base layer to keep the sweat off the skin. I wear a pair of fleece pants on top mostly because I prefer not to walk around wearing black tights!

Don't wear cotton/jeans, synthetics and wool are good for keeping the sweat away esp if you sweat a lot.

Moisture wicking base layer to keep the sweat off the skin. I wear a pair of fleece pants on top mostly because I prefer not to walk around wearing black tights!

Don't wear cotton/jeans, synthetics and wool are good for keeping the sweat away esp if you sweat a lot.

Yeah I wore a hoodie, and when I got back in the truck it was soaked with sweat and cold as ice when I leaned on the seat. Definitely need some fleece in there somewhere

Edited by Dutch01

A quality base layer is worth every cent. Spend some money on a good base and the rest doesnt really matter much. I wear fleece if its real cold, but usually just whatever pants and a hoody with a fleece zip up over top. If its really cold i break outthe hand knit merino wool sweater. Its like putting on a heater.

S.

Yup, X 2 on the merino wool. I recently purchased Icebreaker 260 weight long johns & top. Awesome under my floater suit. Many advantages to wearing merino wool including - if it gets wet , it is still warm. I could not imagine the price of a hand knit merino wool sweater. I paid a healthy price for my icebreaker underwear & I only have 6 more monthly payments!! LOL!

Yup, X 2 on the merino wool. I recently purchased Icebreaker 260 weight long johns & top. Awesome under my floater suit. Many advantages to wearing merino wool including - if it gets wet , it is still warm. I could not imagine the price of a hand knit merino wool sweater. I paid a healthy price for my icebreaker underwear & I only have 6 more monthly payments!! LOL!

Price isn't bad at all if you know someone who knits. I bet you could get a couple made for the price of your base layer.

S.

I also wear the black ballet suit under my clothes, lol. Fleece pants, long sleeve shirt and and a fleece top over that. Most important are two pairs of socks. I wear one polyester pair and a really good quality Merino wool sock over that. Rarely have issues, and even if my feet get cold, I just walk around a bit and I am fine. I am rarely in a hut.

Edited by adempsey