Float suit advice

Dutch01

I've finally decided to drop some coin on a floater suit. I'm stuck between two suits, and could use some feedback from owners of the following suits:

1) Mustang MS-195 (the "Atlantic Class" suit, NOT the Integrity suit)

2) Salus Comfort Lite 1400

I've always thought the mustang was the standard bearer, but read really good things about the the Salus.

I believe both are Transport Canada approved, which is important because I will use it in my boat in spring and fall.

Anyways any feedback (here or by PM) would be much appreciated.

Dutch

Are you an open fisher or i a portable fisher?

I dont own one of these,but asking as if you are using a portable, a 2 pice would be my choice. Able to take the coat off and fish in comfort. I would still use a two piece in the open, but a one will hold your heat better.

I would go with the salus brand. it is moveable material.

I watched three guys on the weekend put on one piece suits right out of thier cars. They were fighting to put them on. They freeze up quick.

Edited by Brian B

I normally fish in a pop-up hut, and only occasionally outside of it. If likely explore more though if I had a suit for piece of mind. I also would like to use it in my boat (16' side console) in spring and fall.

I feel like the one piece is safer, but I will have to sacrifice some comfort. I'm hearing the Salus may be more comfortable than the mustang. It's also a little cheaper.....

Not the brands you are looking at but I have an Arctic Armor suit that is great. Lightweight, very warm and comfortable to wear. Doesn't get all stiff in the cold. Insultex is waterproof, windproof and very buoyant. The amount in one suit will float 700 lb. Not coastguard approved but that's not an issue for me. Check out the videos on line to see it in action.

Cheers

I normally fish in a pop-up hut, and only occasionally outside of it. If likely explore more though if I had a suit for piece of mind. I also would like to use it in my boat (16' side console) in spring and fall.

I feel like the one piece is safer, but I will have to sacrifice some comfort. I'm hearing the Salus may be more comfortable than the mustang. It's also a little cheaper.....

From what you are saying then, I would go 2 piece forsure. Even out in the boat you can remove the coat when it warms up. Also less cumbersome working with the gear.

After 30 years I had to buy a new one...the flotation material all separated in the arms and legs and NO WARRANTY ! what a gyp. I bought the 195 and i like it...its the one to buy. If its cold enough for a suit than its 1 piece for me. I stuck with the Mustang because they make good stuff and its what i had. I wonder what would happen if you had a non approved suit and were not wearing it (or just the bottoms) and you got stopped by the "MAN" while on the water, dont imagine you need one on the ice

Edited by Yellow Fever

Doesn't matter really if it's transport approved as long as you have the proper amount of approved pfds somewhere in the boat, I wear an auto inflate pfd with my artic armour suit in the boat, I'd suggest the same if you go two piece and don't wear the jacket, last thing I want is pants on that float and not my upper body

Doesn't matter really if it's transport approved as long as you have the proper amount of approved pfds somewhere in the boat, I wear an auto inflate pfd with my artic armour suit in the boat, I'd suggest the same if you go two piece and don't wear the jacket, last thing I want is pants on that float and not my upper body

Good point. I just like that fack the coat can be taken off. Good advise Bondar.

Try it on and move around to get a feel for fit. Try sitting, pretend-castng, twisting,etc.

I have a 1-piece Helly Hansen (which is a step below what you're looking at, i think) and it's pretty comfortable once worn in.. You can also still hang the top off iwth the suspenders on (like a 2 piece), if you're too hot.

Try it on and move around to get a feel for fit. Try sitting, pretend-castng, twisting,etc.

I have a 1-piece Helly Hansen (which is a step below what you're looking at, i think) and it's pretty comfortable once worn in.. You can also still hang the top off iwth the suspenders on (like a 2 piece), if you're too hot.

I have the same suit. I think it's great. Comfortable, warm and you have an internal zipper for when you have to relieve yourself. Used to be cheaper compared to Mustang (Salus wasn't really as common when I bought mine).

I would just try them on and see what's more comfortable. They are all going to save you equally well. I believe both Mustang and Salus products are made in Canada too.

Of all things, check how far the zipper goes down, when your in need of a raging whizz and the zipper only goes so far, you might have to do some wicked contortions to get out your Johnson.

This made me lol! I'll definitely watch for that.

I haven't really heard anything negative on either suit. Everyone carries the mustang classic and/or integrity, but I can't seem to find the Mustang Atlantic class in stock in my size, only a special order. It's great advice to not only try it on but move around, cast, sit, etc. I wouldn't likely have thought of that and I can't do that with a special order. The Salus is cheaper and in stock so I will try that one on for size and see what happens.

Thanks OFC

I have the Mustang Atlantic Class survival suit - I always wear it when I'm out on the ice. I haven't had to test its floating capabilities yet in the 6yrs that I've owned it. It's fairly lightweight for what it is compared to most suits out there. Keep in mind that the outer material is not waterproof and overall, it's not all that breathable unless you're unzipped (you will feel the moisture inside after a long trek on the ice).

According to Salus website it is TC approved so it can be used in place of a pfd.

As I understand it, if a suit is not TC approved you must be able to put your TC approved PFD over the suit on demand by a CO.

This is correct & for a guy like me who wears a 2XL float suit most PFD's will not fit over it.

After 30 years I had to buy a new one...the flotation material all separated in the arms and legs and NO WARRANTY ! what a gyp.

Are you complaining about lack of warranty on a 30 year old suit???

This is correct & for a guy like me who wears a 2XL float suit most PFD's will not fit over it.

What if you are already wearing a PFD underneath your suit?

I have been running a salus endurance class float suite for about 6 years now, and am very happy with it.

One thing I would caution you on about salus. They don't seem to be designed for heavy set folks. and it's hard (impossible) to fit a pair of Baffin titans on and actually fully zip the ankle zippers.

My two cents.

I am a strong salus supporter. But you kind of need to be fit to wear one.

Edited by N.A.W

I have been running a salus endurance class float suite for about 6 years now, and am very happy with it.

One thing I would caution you on about salus. They don't seem to be designed for heavy set folks. and it's hard (impossible) to fit a pair of Baffin titans on and actually fully zip the ankle zippers.

My two cents.

I am a strong salus supporter. But you kind of need to be fit to wear one.

Yikes! I've got a few extra pounds of Molson muscle, that doesn't sound good.

If you decide to go two piece, be sure to buy the pants a size or two bigger than a regular fit. I did that and the bib on the pants almost reach my neck, allowing for lots of movement and heat retention up my back and front. When temps allow, you can take off the jacket and still be covered or you can un-zip the bib to allow cooling. It also allows you more range of movement.

The down side, should you go in the drink, is that a two piece has a shorter window of survival, about 7 minutes less, then a one piece.

HH

I have the Mustang Atlantic Class survival suit - I always wear it when I'm out on the ice. I haven't had to test its floating capabilities yet in the 6yrs that I've owned it. It's fairly lightweight for what it is compared to most suits out there. Keep in mind that the outer material is not waterproof and overall, it's not all that breathable unless you're unzipped (you will feel the moisture inside after a long trek on the ice).

all the way!!!