Invisible fence

HTHM

Does anyone have any experience, (good or bad), with an underground fence for dogs? With spring coming up I want to restrict my dogs access to the road area and am considering one of these systems.

Edited by HTHM

Albert,

I have used one and they work great! However after a couple of years the wire corroded and the unit stopped working..... Trying to locate the short in 1000' of 16g buried wire was impossible.

I upgraded to the wireless model that uses radio waves. Much better in my opinion. I have one might be willing to part with.

G

I myself never used one. But at the corner of the road leading to my camp there is a house with 4 dogs. They chase the cars as they go by but never cross the line.

I don't know if they know what it is but they are chewing on his house :)

regards

I may be wrong here but l would never use another electrical device to restrain/train a dog.

It just may have been this particular dog but I followed all the instinctual manuals on its use and I turned the dog into a paranoid wreck. It took a long time for the animal to trust new things; I broke its spirit of checking out new things. It may have been all my fault but I'll now only use rewards as a training device.

Dan. B

My wife has a beagle. I'm not inexperienced in the training of dogs having owned 2 pointers and a lab in all if which I trained and hunted over. The beagle was incorrigible and nearly broke me. I bought a dogtra collar for her, and it's like having a whole other dog now. She is obedient and in control. Still outgoing and friendly, and no signs of fear or paranoia. The occasional time I have to use the collar, it's strictly on vibrate. I haven't had to use the shock function since the first week. She also seldom leaves our property now and csn be left outside without concern. I'm a big believer in electronics now. Just another point of view.

My parents have it on the farm. Works great . Take some training with flags and walking the perimeter a few times daily with collar set on low . Haven't had a dead dog on the road since it was installed. Me and my siblings hve collars or our dogs so when we go to visit there's 10 dogs it's. Nice to be able to leave them outside they have free run of 3 acres but no chasing horses or cars.

Edited by Freshtrax

Neighbour bought an underground fence a couple of years ago and made the mistake a year later of having his lawn aeriated by a landscaper.

Without being shocked now; the dog still remembers the bounderies just the same and seldom wonders unto my property.

A pal has one and it works. He did replace it a few times until he ran it through 1" thin wall ABS. No problems since. As for the morality of it that is the owners individual decision. If that pesky rabbit or squirrel bothers him enough he will jump high enough to get past the shock but always comes back home. Food must be a strong motive to return. It sure beats scrapping the pup off the road in my opinion.

We used the invisable fence for years with both our GSP and beagle and it was wonderful! Didn't even have to have it turned on after a while, they both learned where the boundries were and remembered. If we went to visit friends all I had to do was set out a parameter with the flags and the dogs knew not to cross it. We had our system in place for 12 years without a single problem.

Now I have heard of some people buying the CTC or TSC ones and having problems though.

Edited by Big Cliff

I'd suggest putting the collar on and trying it before you put it on your pet.

Ive run if on myself at 100. It's not pleasant but certainly not unbearable. My brother in law and I where chest thumping at the cottage, lol. Nothing like strapping on a collar and handing another guy the remote.

Only downside I know - if a dog runs fast after something and crosses the wire on the way out, there are minimal consequences.

They usually don't have the same incentive to come back. So a slower crossing of the wire back results in them being locked out of the property.

Not common though

I had the petsafe unit, it worked great! Once the dog knew the boundary he rarely went close too it as the units give a beep letting the dog know they are getting close....

I have tried the correction they give.... It's not at all painful. But it is an eye opener....

Anyone ever watch that jackass movie? Lol

The dog will learn quick what the limits are... The beep alone will enforce the boundry

I would recommend that you get one with a rechargeable battery. We had two labs that hardly ever wore their collars and stayed put, and now have two terrier crosses that live on the edge of the boundary (the squirrels and rabbits seem to know where the line is). We have the Petsafe unit, and the batteries were getting pretty expensive, so we went and got the rechargeable collars. The other nice thing is they flash green, yellow or red so you know the condition of the battery. A charge lasts 2-3weeks.

I would recommend that you get one with a rechargeable battery. We had two labs that hardly ever wore their collars and stayed put, and now have two terrier crosses that live on the edge of the boundary (the squirrels and rabbits seem to know where the line is). We have the Petsafe unit, and the batteries were getting pretty expensive, so we went and got the rechargeable collars. The other nice thing is they flash green, yellow or red so you know the condition of the battery. A charge lasts 2-3weeks.

We have a Petsafe training collar that uses the CR2032 3 volt batteries, I get them at the Dollar Store for 2 bucks for 3, Sunbeam branded , made in China, but they last pretty good.