backlake question

bassmaster4

Hey guys,

Me and a buddy are thinking of trying some backlake brookie fishing, just have a couple questions with whats involved, I've never done this before. Were going to head up to the Minden On area, have no lakes in mind yet, just wondering how some of you guys find them? Should I be on google maps scoping out lakes and then just drive to the area and trek? or is there special access points or trails and what not that I should be aware of? Kind of a bad question but I figured might as well ask so I can put some kind of a game plan together for myself so that im not going in completely blind. :dunno:

Thanks in advance

I'd start with the stocking list. Don't discount Splake either, very fun to catch.

http://files.ontario.ca/environment-and-energy/fishing/fmz-15-stocking-report-english-20140214.pdf

I don't know if they put out the PDF docs any more, as the most recent ones I have found are from 2014 (for 2013). They may have switched over to Fish ON-Line instead.

Call the hut operators in the Minden area cause you may score a deal due to the bad season so far. Then you get a parking spot and most of the times a ride out to the hut(s). Miners Bay has a guy I (with a few others) rented off a few years ago (lakers and whitefish).

The one thing is lake access and parking if you are going to 'wing-it' by using maps.

Oh boy, the world of brookie fishing is a secretive, mysterious world, definitely not going to get any handouts, but stocking lists are about the only way to get a feel for an area you're not familiar with. Its not the kind of thing you're going to instantly figure out and have success at, but the rewards of finding a productive backlake in the bush is a heck of a lot more rewarding than whacking a few fish out in the hut villages and the crowds. Good luck! If you're on foot, keep in mind that most of the stocked lakes close to the hwy in that area are likely fairly pressured. Having a sled will make you a far more productive backlake angler.

thanks for the links, yea im stuck on foot pulling a sled for now lol, so I guess the lakes I really want to get to are going to be tough but ill make due with what I have for now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys, if anything comes of this ill post a report.

Edited by bassmaster4

It must be daunting looking out across a frozen lake you have never fished before and choosing a starting point. Especially the first step not knowing how deep it is under the who knows how thin the ice is. When I did do that we would clear the snow off the ice and give it a shot of windshield washer antifreeze and hold the transducer on it to get a depth before drilling holes willy nilly.

Good luck and be careful.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

BassMaster4, Read posts by Chris (there are at least 3 of them).

Old Ironmaker, Windshield washer fluid is not good for the drink. Use bottled water instead.

I don't think there was such a thing as The MOE then. The problem is the water would freeze in a bottle, but I hear you. Plumbers antifreeze then, not as toxic

To think of it what happens to the gazillion gallons of the stuff that we spray on our windshields?

Edited by Old Ironmaker