Another ATV Down

cheaptackle

It can happen in a heart beat! I was out here on the lake the other day, there have been sleds and ATVs running back and forth for two weeks now and there was a good solid 6-8+" of ice even over the chanel in front of our place. I took a little ride to where there were some guys were fishing huts and all. When I stopped to talk with them and asked how thick the ice was I was told a good 5" where I was but only about 2" less than 50' away. I followed my tracks right back to shore and parked the bike.

From what I'm hearing on another board is the victim was a resident of Georgina Island and got disoriented in the snow squalls and drove his atv into the open water channel of the ferry crossing .

condolences to the family, we lost a family member on sturgeon the exact same way in '89

Edited by Freshtrax

At this point my ATV is looking like a garage queen for this winter and that's where it's going to stay. If you can't follow simple recommendations and reports, you will make your family and friends suffer for no reason but some fish.

It was not a fisherman, and he didn't simply go through the ice, he apparently got disoriented and drove into the ferrys pathway.

CORRECT! It's like guys are just waiting for an opportunity to call someone an idiot for taking a machine on the ice. Before your next knee jerk reaction post READ THE NEWS REPORT! Not just the headlines. Seeing these "when are guys gonna learn" comments all over the place for this horrible accident. The victim got lost/disoriented and steered his machine too close to the ferry channel. End of story.

I have had three close friends drown the same way. One has been missing since 1998 and they have never found his body. I myself broke through before, my own dam fault. I got careless, almost drowned. I should have known better. There are accidents, but to go out on the ice right now racing around on a sled with the temps being the way they have been is foolish. like I said in the post, sad but stupid all the same. His family has to endure a loss of life right now cause someone could not bother to take the proper precautions. Every year, same crap over and over again.

I have had three close friends drown the same way. One has been missing since 1998 and they have never found his body. I myself broke through before, my own dam fault. I got careless, almost drowned. I should have known better. There are accidents, but to go out on the ice right now racing around on a sled with the temps being the way they have been is foolish. like I said in the post, sad but stupid all the same. His family has to endure a loss of life right now cause someone could not bother to take the proper precautions. Every year, same crap over and over again.

Well then according to your theory you have some pretty dumb friends and you aren't too smart yourself!

This guy wasn't out there "racing around just for the heck of it", he got disoriented in a snow squal, (been there, you think you are going one way and it just isn't so).

I could have gone through the ice here the other day yet I went where sleds and bikes have been going for two weeks now, just plain luck that I missed the one area where the ice wasn't fully formed but anyone following my tracks and going just 50' off to the side could have been in trouble.

None of these people go out there thinking they are going to get into trouble but sometimes bad things happen to good people through no fault of their own. My heart goes out to the ones that are left behind.

Well then according to your theory you have some pretty dumb friends and you aren't too smart yourself!

This guy wasn't out there "racing around just for the heck of it", he got disoriented in a snow squal, (been there, you think you are going one way and it just isn't so).

I could have gone through the ice here the other day yet I went where sleds and bikes have been going for two weeks now, just plain luck that I missed the one area where the ice wasn't fully formed but anyone following my tracks and going just 50' off to the side could have been in trouble.

None of these people go out there thinking they are going to get into trouble but sometimes bad things happen to good people through no fault of their own. My heart goes out to the ones that are left behind.

According to the internet warriors making snap judgments based on a headline, that makes you an idiot that deserves to get 'weeded out' I guess.

I never said I was heartless. I grew up with commercial fishermen, we check the weather. I broke through cause some asshat moved his hut and left the hole open, still my fault as I was to eager to get out there and never kept an eye on the ice,so correct, I wasn't to smart, weather channel and news are everywhere. Most guys go through by themselves.

people have their opinion, this is an open forum and I have mine. I still stick to it.

and just for the record, one of my friends wasn't very smart, left two young daughters and a young wife all in the pursuit of chasing fish, same as guys with buck fever who miss. Stop and think first. God rest his soul but he was an idiot for making that decision.

I had another friend who lost his life here that was a board member a few years ago in Hamilton in a Kayak, great guy, who the hell goes out in fridgid waters in a Kayak. Your asking for trouble. Miss him dearly and was just going through stuff that he gave me to fish with, but he was an idiot for chosing to do what he did.

and just for the record, one of my friends wasn't very smart, left two young daughters and a young wife all in the pursuit of chasing fish, same as guys with buck fever who miss. Stop and think first. God rest his soul but he was an idiot for making that decision.

I had another friend who lost his life here that was a board member a few years ago in Hamilton in a Kayak, great guy, who the hell goes out in fridgid waters in a Kayak. Your asking for trouble. Miss him dearly and was just going through stuff that he gave me to fish with, but he was an idiot for chosing to do what he did.

I trust you are not calling out Mr Serge Lapointe?!

Because while Serge may have been a lot of things, an idiot was not one of them!

I've heard that this guy was a local who lived on the island. He got disoriented in a snow squall and ended up in the open (or just skimmed over) Ferry channel.

To call him an idiot is pretty ignorant. People have been driving vehicles across to the island and machines have been running all over that ice for 3 weeks now. I have been out there myself on my machine. The ice is plenty safe IN THAT AREA.

I feel sorry for his family and friends.

S.

For what ever reasons DESTINY may have decided this poor soul's time had come and FATE crossed his path, it has happened and it is indeed very unfortunate.

When I posted about this sad event this morning it was with a plea to ALL to be safe out there, with the intent of "out there" being wherever one may be.

It is often so easy to have 20/20 hindsight and dissect the actions as well as question the abilities of others after the fact.

Let us NOT descend into what might be called by some as "bashing".

Let us instead offer our prayers and condolences to those who have lost a loved one WITHOUT recrimination for what may have preceded the event.

We should sharpen our wits to ensure our own safety and not our tongues to rebuke those who paid the ultimate price.

Mods - please delete or lock before we get lost here - the intention I had was merely to reinforce the thought of keeping safe foremost in our minds, we seem to be drifting far away from that goal.

Michael

My deepest condolences to the family. To call anyone, alive or deceased an idiot or stupid doesn't have a grasp of the English language. There are phrases like " a poor decision, unwise choice, ill informed, made an unfortunate decision etc." But a stupid idiot, no.

This man was no kid at 60, he lived there so I am going to guess he was experienced. I have found lately as I get older my friends are also older. Some make poor decisions now that they wouldn't 10 or 15 years ago and it surprises me. In my opinion it is the "I've been doing this for 40 years and never got hurt" so I will be safe reason. That is as dangerous as a impetuous teen or 20 something doing crazy things because they are invincible. An example of senior "stupidity" is drinking and driving at 75 years old because it was nothing years ago now it's a big deal to everyone. I hear that from some older guys, 60 and up. I guess stupid can be used, I change my mind. Drinking and driving is stupid.

For what ever reasons DESTINY may have decided this poor soul's time had come and FATE crossed his path, it has happened and it is indeed very unfortunate.

When I posted about this sad event this morning it was with a plea to ALL to be safe out there, with the intent of "out there" being wherever one may be.

It is often so easy to have 20/20 hindsight and dissect the actions as well as question the abilities of others after the fact.

Let us NOT descend into what might be called by some as "bashing".

Let us instead offer our prayers and condolences to those who have lost a loved one WITHOUT recrimination for what may have preceded the event.

We should sharpen our wits to ensure our own safety and not our tongues to rebuke those who paid the ultimate price.

Mods - please delete or lock before we get lost here - the intention I had was merely to reinforce the thought of keeping safe foremost in our minds, we seem to be drifting far away from that goal.

Michael

We have all joked from time to time of what some people will do out there but when someones life is lost, the only things imho that should shown are kind words and condolences for the family involved, they are going through a terrible time when something like that happens, the wife and kids may know someone who is on this board or any other for that matter, the last thing they need to hear or possibly read about is that their husband or father was whatever

Some things may be thought but not spoken at certain times, in life, thats just how i work