New Deadly Action is Coming from Rapala

PUMP KNOWS

Rapala make fantastic lures.

The Taildancer series, J series (especially J11 and J13), as well as the X Rap series, are all best in class!!!

Once you upgrade the hardware you have fish catching machines.

(I also just started into the Rapala R Type planer board rods as well....quality build from what I can see so far).

The dt series cranks are top notch

Love clackin raps too(and its hard to find lipless cranks that run true in current)

I use 2 xraps, both white. 3" and 4"

I also use the clown patter subwalk which is deadly for pike

Oh the xrap topwater with the blades on it, thats a hoot for tapwater bass

So while I was at the Spring Fishing Show yesterday I got to talk to Mike Iaconelli very quickly (2 minutes or so). I asked him if he would give a hint as to the new bait. He instead spilled the beans on the bait to my surprise. Now out of respect to him for being nice and just immediately saying what it was and what it does, as well as Rapala keeping silent about it, I'm not going to spill the beans on the bait yet (I'll spill them in a week or so). What I will confirm right now is that it is a new member of the Shadow Rap family.

Edited by Garfisher

So while I was at the Spring Fishing Show yesterday I got to talk to Mike Iaconelli very quickly (2 minutes or so). I asked him if he would give a hint as to the new bait. He instead spilled the beans on the bait to my surprise. Now out of respect to him for being nice and just immediately saying what it was and what it does, as well as Rapala keeping silent about it, I'm not going to spill the beans on the bait yet (I'll spill them in a week or so). What I will confirm right now is that it is a new member of the Shadow Rap family.

So dt style scatter rap

I had the pleasure of meeting an older fella at a lake west of Sudbury 2 years ago. The old gent had fished this lake for 50 years! He was 82 at the time. I went to have a look at his boat. He had 3 older fibreglass rods, paired with 3 Mitchell 300 reels. He also had the original floating rapala in black/gold & silver/black rigged up to each rod. You know what! He came in with 3 or 4 nice walleye every evening. I also used the original rapalas for many years as a teen ager. Today they are in my tackle bag when on the soft water. I'll remind you of my original post. "Lures are designed to catch fishermen"!!

#1 and 2 go2s for me if I lose 1 replace it right away have the in varying sizes

Well, two weeks until the Bassmaster Classic, last year if you knew where to look the Shadow Rap was leaked about 3 weeks before it's official release at the 2015 Classic. So here's the new lure as to what I was told:

The new lure is called the Shadow Rap Shad, it's slightly smaller than the Shadow Rap, but with a taller profile since it mimics a shad rather than a large minnow. The big difference with what it does is that it slowly rises with a nose up attitude, compared to what the Shadow Rap does which is slowly sink with a nose down attitude. If the Shadow Rap fades into the shadows, the Shadow Rap Shad rises into the spotlight.

That is what I've been told, this next bit is just educated guesses. I'm guessing the lure would be a size 10 (4" long) based on it being slightly smaller than a Shadow Rap. Depending on what plastic is used the bait could be up to 3/8oz which would be light enough for it to float. And I'm guessing the Shadow Rap Shad would have the same action as a Shadow Rap in terms of how it reacts when being jerked, it is in the Shadow family afterall haha.

And wait till 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and more sure fire tackle to come that will make 16 stuff obsolete. Keep buying you dopes. Once my hooks from my 1973 F10 Black and Silver Rapps rust off and the lips are broken and won't take anymore Guerilla Glue I'll buy new used ones at the swap meet in Hamilton. Or I will put the gleep on a few of my fishing buddies because they never use them an they have a JY Yamamatsu 4D 719 Jerk Hammer Dive Slash Power Scented Nuclear Bait that they paid 17 bucks for and they saw Izumi hammer them on TV Saturday morning.

Believe it or not I don't have a Whacky Rig, yet. If the fish hit I'll stay with the 3 green garbage bags of plastic I have never used. Give me a Silver and Black F5 in Spring and a F10 Rappala in Summer and Fall and I'll show you a fish.

F10. What's that supposed to be, old man? lol

I'll agree though, the original in a long line of anything is usually the best or near the best for a reason. Too many bells and whistles usually do nothing but raise the price. But they need to come out with something new every year to please the shareholders (note: I have no idea if Rapala is a publicly traded company)

I had the pleasure of meeting an older fella at a lake west of Sudbury 2 years ago. The old gent had fished this lake for 50 years! He was 82 at the time. I went to have a look at his boat. He had 3 older fibreglass rods, paired with 3 Mitchell 300 reels. He also had the original floating rapala in black/gold & silver/black rigged up to each rod. You know what! He came in with 3 or 4 nice walleye every evening. I also used the original rapalas for many years as a teen ager. Today they are in my tackle bag when on the soft water. I'll remind you of my original post. "Lures are designed to catch fishermen"!!

My grandfather on my dads side used the Beno until the day he died. Refused to use anything else. And he did well.

It must run in the family because majority of the time, all I use is a crayfish colour crank bait or a chartruse jig. The other lures I buy because they look pretty so they sit in my tackle box. Don't think I tossed a single cast with the Live Target Black Crappie.

Oh oh! And a frog coloured hula popper. But thats all I use pretty much.

F10. What's that supposed to be, old man? lol

I'll agree though, the original in a long line of anything is usually the best or near the best for a reason. Too many bells and whistles usually do nothing but raise the price. But they need to come out with something new every year to please the shareholders (note: I have no idea if Rapala is a publicly traded company)

Yeah I mentioned something similar aways back. Not gonna be a successful corperation just producing 4 or 5 old lures

I wont be adding this one to my arsenal I know that much

Just an FYI for those interested these are already on sale at Gagnon's, I'm sure BPS will have them on sale tomorrow as it's the official release date. Plus there's a bunch of new colours being released for the entire shadow family, a lot of the colours are brighter compared to the initial set.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/rapala-shadow-rap-shad-sdr11?a=1923973(New colours)

Edited by Garfisher

Thanks for the heads up on the new colours.

Also just a heads up, I saw this vid a couple days ago regarding the shadow raps.

Wow. If that's legit that is unacceptable from a company with the rep of rapala. I have a few that haven't been used yet. I wonder if I should just take them back.

In order for a company to remain profitable, it seems short cuts are taken. These short cuts have resulted in lips breaking off, baits cracking, and lesser quality hardware...starting back when the original tail dancers came out and the paint flaked off.....

Too bad....good Finnish company.....

Edited by Steve