2016 Ontario Fishing Tournaments and Derbys

KraTToR

I got schooled a few years back when I called a Fishing tournament a derby. Huge difference, especially to the organizers and players. Derbys are for red and white bobbers and kiddies, tourneys are for Pro's and guys that slap stickers on their boats and the sew patches to their "fishing shirts" that think they are pro's. Just ask them.

I got schooled a few years back when I called a Fishing tournament a derby. Huge difference, especially to the organizers and players. Derbys are for red and white bobbers and kiddies, tourneys are for Pro's and guys that slap stickers on their boats and the sew patches to their "fishing shirts" that think they are pro's. Just ask them.

I do understand the difference yet my question remains the same. For example, I usually fish the Kiwanis Walleye "DERBY" in may..lol

Yea its cheap, you can use live bait.. but decent prizes and a great warmup for the season.

The most serious Walleye tourney here on the east end of Erie is the 444 Tournament, check it out. 4 fish, 4 fisherman 4 tournaments in total, here plus in the US. Many Pro's enter from here and US. Last year a crew of locals won the whole shebang here out of Pt. Colbourne, nice to see the pro's get schooled. Can enter 1 or all of them. The first of the series is out of Port Colbourne. A serious very well run series. The newest out here is The Maitland Mayhem, this will be the 3rd year, not as big as 444 but a decent weekend of less serious fun. It is run out of Fishmaster's Marina who is a member and contributor here. My 19 foot boat is too small to deal with rougher weather here and if we can't go out in these 2 we lose the entry $$ which isn't derby money change. The local derby we do attend is the Fisherville Firefighters Perch and Walleye Derby. If you are interested PM me in June or July, it is usually held on the Aug 1st long weekend. Fun for all with the perch prize the boat size isn't as critical and the kids can play too. Let me know.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

The most serious Walleye tourney here on the east end of Erie is the 444 Tournament, check it out. 4 fish, 4 fisherman 4 tournaments in total, here plus in the US. Many Pro's enter from here and US. Last year a crew of locals won the whole shebang here out of Pt. Colbourne, nice to see the pro's get schooled. Can enter 1 or all of them. The first of the series is out of Port Colbourne. A serious very well run series. The newest out here is The Maitland Mayhem, this will be the 3rd year, not as big as 444 but a decent weekend of less serious fun. It is run out of Fishmaster's Marina who is a member and contributor here. My 19 foot boat is too small to deal with rougher weather here and if we can't go out in these 2 we lose the entry $$ which isn't derby money change. The local derby we do attend is the Fisherville Firefighters Perch and Walleye Derby. If you are interested PM me in June or July, it is usually held on the Aug 1st long weekend. Fun for all with the perch prize the boat size isn't as critical and the kids can play too. Let me know.

Thanks, this is great info. Its on my list :)