Windows 10

fisherman7

I caught 10 being installed on mine in time to pull the plug. I got really suspicious when they were giving me the hard sell to install.My suspicion is that once they have enough of us trapped inside 10 they'll start charging! Just because you're not paranoid doesn'y mean they are not out to getya!! :)

My windows got updated without my authorization. I woke up one morning and it was loaded and installing into my laptop. I'm not happy at all

I would save all my data and programs etc and reinstall your old system. Then use never10 to make sure it won't happen.

Then again MS could again make registry changes through updates without us knowing. They sure seem insistent on everyone using Win10. Folks with vista and earlier are ok though.

Cheers

My laptop came with Vista in 2010. It also came with a free upgrade to 7, which I took advantage of. Over the years, it kept getting slower. I attempted to install 10, but found the built in "spyware" from Microsoft to be too much intrusion. I switched back to 7. After getting caught up on all the updates, it seemed even slower than before I ditched 7 for 10.

I completely switched gears and installed Linux Ubuntu. Now my laptop is fast again. The user experience is very similar to 10 minutes to get up to speed. Unfortunaly, traditional windows programs will not run without some workarounds, but for most users, there are open source alternatives for stuff like music/video players, email, web browsers( still using Firefox there), photo viewers/editors, etc.

It is a free download, just burn it to a disk or USB and go. Like always, back up,your data before you start...

I would save all my data and programs etc and reinstall your old system. Then use never10 to make sure it won't happen.

Then again MS could again make registry changes through updates without us knowing. They sure seem insistent on everyone using Win10. Folks with vista and earlier are ok though.

Cheers

You can roll back to your previous OS if it was installed less than one month ago.

Going back to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1

Applies to Windows 10

• If it’s been less than a month since you upgraded to Windows 10, you can go back to your previous version of Windows by going to Settings > Update & security > Recovery and selecting either Go back to Windows 7 or Go back to Windows 8.1. This won't affect your personal files, but it will remove any apps you installed after the upgrade to Windows 10. Learn more.

• If it’s been more than a month, this option won’t be available in Settings and you’ll need to use a different recovery option.

I don't plan on upgrading to 10 until I absolutely must. Nothing from a giant corporation like Microsoft is truly free. It's already pre-installed itself on one of my computers and I have to go through a lot of trouble to remove it. There is no option to NOT install, only to pick a date when to install it. It's ridiculous.

At some point there will be no support for any OS other then win10. So most people will have to switch and at that point I will bet they will make you pay

And at that point there will only be win10 and that will save them a bag full of money only having to support one OS

Thx for that. I'll have to phone my Help desk (aka my youngest son) and find out how to do that.

Start menu>>>Control Panel>>>Windows Update>>>>>Change Settings

From the dropdown box select which way you want to do it (anything but "download an install updates automatically" will put you back in control).

If you're on a limited internet service you're best to select 'check for updates but let me choose when to download and install them'. This also prevent them from installing 10 without permission.

Edited by G.mech

I don't plan on upgrading to 10 until I absolutely must. Nothing from a giant corporation like Microsoft is truly free. It's already pre-installed itself on one of my computers and I have to go through a lot of trouble to remove it. There is no option to NOT install, only to pick a date when to install it. It's ridiculous.

What it boils down to mostly is making registry changes but you should be somewhat aware of regedit to make the one or two changes. It's an easy google.That will disable the autoupgade. Not for regular users.

Never10 does that so there is no chance of danger to registry. Plus it has other features if required. Both my pc and wifeys laptop with win7 had no extra files found.

Cheers