recommendations for kitchen reno cabinets/countertops

leaf4

Hey, moving along with my house Reno's I'm a couple weeks to maybe 2 months away from gutting my kitchen, I've checked out some places for cabinets and I don't mind spending the cash on decent stuff but I do have to keep in mind I do rent rooms here... That being said I have looked at IKEA and I'm happy with the prices they have on their new cabinet lineup for what I want, does anyone have any feedback on any of their newer stuff?

Secondly I'm looking to do quartz countertops, any places I should look into or avoid?

Also I'm in Hamilton on the mountain

Thanks!

IMG_20160204_203251.jpg

IMG_20160204_203309.jpg

IMG_20160204_203229.jpg

IMG_20160130_162221.jpg

IMG_20160130_175523.jpg

IMG_20160130_162234.jpg

Edited by Lucas F

For counter tops my personal choice is the solid surface type stuff like Corian.

Cleans super easy, its not hard when you set a wine glass on it, if its scratched you can buff it out.

no sealant required. my wife swears by it.

Corian is a brand but there are others the same basic thing

Ha Ha, your renovation looks like my basement job. I am upgrading a laundry room, with new bathroom, shower etc. I'll be watching your post carefully as I get closer to install a few cabinets. The guys on this board will offer up some great ideas. They have helped me out with various questions I had as I progress. Good luck.

Interesting thought on the corian, never knew it existed and when I looked it up theres like 15 different types of countertop I've never heard of lol, what's the ballpark for price per square foot on that stuff? No site I've come across has any pricing

The Corian is comparable to granite and quartz...not cheap.

It comes in 1/2" thick sheets and you laminate the edges for thickness and you can run a router down the edge for whatever profile you want. I think its best to have a counter top shop do it though.

The thing with it is quartz stains and absorbs where the corian is totally impervious and will not stain

As I have had Corian in my kitchen now close to 20 years, I can tell you that it really is a great material.

It has been stated, non porus, non staining and also if you drop a glass on it it will not shatter, break yes but it will not shatter the glass so safety wise you will not be picking up glass for a month after.

Steel wool or emmry cloth will remove scrathes and even small chips / gouges.

If you go the Corian route, do yourself a big favour, and get 1 or 2 pieces cut and made into a cutting board.

FLEX

Lucas you are doing an amazing job, should be proud of yourself

We have been working on this place for 5 years, inside and out

We are down to the the kitchen now, we tried a couple of small places up here but prices are stupid, so we looked down in Edmonton at IKEA, great prices, a good product and they help u set up a program for designing your kitchen which in turn u can fine tune at home on your own computer, which is nice as they are 17 hours from here lol

Corian sounds interesting, something new to me also

And yes keep us posted on your progress please :clapping:

If you're getting IKEA type cabinets then forget about putting quartz or granite...they are too heavy for the cabinets. Personally, I prefer Quartz and granite over Corian type materials. Quartz and granite are indeed harder materials but unlike what has been stated here, Quartz does not absorb. And neither does granite provided it is sealed, and this needs to be done every 5 years and takes 10 minutes.......nothing to it.

If you're getting IKEA type cabinets then forget about putting quartz or granite...they are too heavy for the cabinets. Personally, I prefer Quartz and granite over Corian type materials. Quartz and granite are indeed harder materials but unlike what has been stated here, Quartz does not absorb. And neither does granite provided it is sealed, and this needs to be done every 5 years and takes 10 minutes.......nothing to it.

You can put quartz or granite on flat pack Chinese lowers. IKEA stuff will hold up just fine.

You can put quartz or granite on flat pack Chinese lowers. IKEA stuff will hold up just fine.

Agreed. I put Cambria quartz on IKEA lowers and they're as solid as a rock. The quartz installer from Cambria said they do tons of them. If they're not sturdy, they're not installed properly. We love the quartz but one drawback is that you have to have all the cabinets installed before they come and digitally measure everything (at least with Cambria that's how it works). It then takes a couple of weeks after that but each piece is custom cut by CNC and they fit like a glove even if there are small irregularities such as out of square or wavy walls.

Edited by G.mech

Agreed. I put Cambria quartz on IKEA lowers and they're as solid as a rock. The quartz installer from Cambria said they do tons of them. If they're not sturdy, they're not installed properly. We love the quartz but one drawback is that you have to have all the cabinets installed before they come and digitally measure everything (at least with Cambria that's how it works). It then takes a couple of weeks after that but each piece is custom cut by CNC and they fit like a glove even if there are small irregularities such as out of square or wavy walls.

I can't wait to call Cambria for them to come in and template my counters/island. Just the floor standing in the way of installing the lowers, lol!

I can't wait to call Cambria for them to come in and template my counters/island. Just the floor standing in the way of installing the lowers, lol!

It's really high tech how they do it....make sure you're home to see it. All done by computer and a special 3D digital camera thingy. I consider myself pretty techy and it totally blew me away. Here's a vid that explains it:

https://youtu.be/XPl7mkz-Ank?list=PL8OyoXW9WRZ7NGMnfHLEzgi7Ywk4Njw-c

Edited by G.mech

Hey Lucas, neat looking at the home. Being from Hamilton myself originally I grew up in the same centre hall plan story and 1/2 that are spread al across the city and mountain. For a solid surface I choose Corian. Granite and marble are both NOT being chosen by many designers now. Imagine spending thousands for a life time surface and it's not in vogue in 10 years?

Are you going to knock out that wall between the kitchen and ground floor bedroom? Dad did in 67 before open concept was in.

Great tile job. Keep it up oh and check out Canac Kitchens in Hamilton. They have been around and are local for many years. I built a home off Lake Ave. and used them way back in 86'. Then again in 92'. Stoney Creek Kitchens as well. There are several local kitchen builders here in Haldimand, Cayuga (DeBoar's is the best) and a few in Hagersville. I know you will save money driving 45 mins from the city.

Hey Lucas, neat looking at the home. Being from Hamilton myself originally I grew up in the same centre hall plan story and 1/2 that are spread al across the city and mountain. For a solid surface I choose Corian. Granite and marble are both NOT being chosen by many designers now. Imagine spending thousands for a life time surface and it's not in vogue in 10 years?

Are you going to knock out that wall between the kitchen and ground floor bedroom? Dad did in 67 before open concept was in.

Great tile job. Keep it up oh and check out Canac Kitchens in Hamilton. They have been around and are local for many years. I built a home off Lake Ave. and used them way back in 86'. Then again in 92'. Stoney Creek Kitchens as well. There are several local kitchen builders here in Haldimand, Cayuga (DeBoar's is the best) and a few in Hagersville. I know you will save money driving 45 mins from the city.

Thanks! And planning on keeping the wall there, its rented out, and helps keep my kitchen budget in check haha, I'll have to make it efficient the way it is, I'll have to check into the places you listed, thanks for the info! And yes leaning towards the corian for sure

The thing with it is quartz stains and absorbs where the corian is totally impervious and will not stain

I think you mean granite can absorb and stain...quartz & corian are both impervious, stain free, & need no sealer. They are both man made but the Corian is a little lighter, much cheaper, and not nearly as durable as the quartz. For a rental place, I'd go with the Corian, for my home I chose the quartz.

Some links discussing pros and cons:

. http://www.epicurious.com/archive/blogs/editor/2009/09/kitchen-counters-quartz-or-corian.html

http://homerenovations.about.com/od/kitchencounters/a/corianquartzgranitecomparisonchart.htm

Edited by G.mech