which skidoo should i buy

Terry

I am thinking about a new 2016 Ski-Doo Tundra LT 550f

its light, long track and fan cooled so i dont have to worry about overheating as much as i need to with my liquid cool

so that is why I want the 550f and not the 600 ace 4 stroke

so what do you think

pros , cons or maybe just a bad choice, or maybe they dont make them like they use to and its not the machine they were 15 years ago?///

550F

Cons: poor gas mileage, 2 strokes usually need to be rebuilt much sooner than 4 strokes, use 2 stroke oil, if oil injection pump dies engine seizes.

Pros: 2 strokes are lighter, fan cooled better on hard pack and ice especially in warmer temps, start better in -30+ temps, 2 stoke engines are easier to work on.

600 ACE

Cons: Heavier due to 4 stroke engine, need to change oil and filter like a car, harder starting in -30+ temps (need block heater, batt blanket and plug in), over heat in warm temps and hard pack, glare ice conditions, 4 stroke engines are more difficult to work on.

Pros: Excellent gas mileage, no oil injection pump to worry about, are quieter and don't smell like a 2 stroke, very good low end torque and smooth power through whole throttle range, much longer time between engine rebuilds.

For warm weather running with a liquid cooled sled install a set of these (http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/eshop/detail.php?sectionId=AC&groupId=19&subGroupId=34&categoryId=105&itemId=2253&unitId=2174&unitName=2008%2BRS%2BVenture%2BGT&unitGroup=SM&unitYear=2008&items_per_page=12&page=8) and the problem is reduced to almost nothing.

thanks

i want the fan cooled for all the pro reasons you gave

I want to be able to run the side of the road to the lake and the liquid cools over heat on me

you cant even buy a pull start for the 600 ace

oh so many decisions to make lol

major benefit of 2 stroke over 4 is the ability to single handedly move the thing when you get stuck (which you will)

You wouldnt believe some of the situations you will find yourself in lol

if you always will be riding with a partner then whatever, but if you are trekking through the bush along, go 2 stroke.

550F

Cons: poor gas mileage, 2 strokes usually need to be rebuilt much sooner than 4 strokes, use 2 stroke oil, if oil injection pump dies engine seizes.

Pros: 2 strokes are lighter, fan cooled better on hard pack and ice especially in warmer temps, start better in -30+ temps, 2 stoke engines are easier to work on.

600 ACE

Cons: Heavier due to 4 stroke engine, need to change oil and filter like a car, harder starting in -30+ temps (need block heater, batt blanket and plug in), over heat in warm temps and hard pack, glare ice conditions, 4 stroke engines are more difficult to work on.

Pros: Excellent gas mileage, no oil injection pump to worry about, are quieter and don't smell like a 2 stroke, very good low end torque and smooth power through whole throttle range, much longer time between engine rebuilds.

For warm weather running with a liquid cooled sled install a set of these (http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/eshop/detail.php?sectionId=AC&groupId=19&subGroupId=34&categoryId=105&itemId=2253&unitId=2174&unitName=2008%2BRS%2BVenture%2BGT&unitGroup=SM&unitYear=2008&items_per_page=12&page=8) and the problem is reduced to almost nothing.

This is pretty much bang on, however those 550 fans don't pop nearly as much as the more powerful liquid cooled motors, you should expect at least 10 k out of a top end on those 550's.

I just bought a '16 Polaris Indy voyager 144 550. It is very comparable to the tundra Lt, but the major pitfall of the tundra for me is the pogo stick suspension. It gives you a much narrower ski stance making the machine very tippy and not as nice to ride as a machine with conventional a-arm suspension. It is only really beneficial to people running tight bush trails and traplines. Take a look at the Skidoo Expedition Sport 550, its basically a tundra with an a-arm front suspension, same off trail performance, or the Indy voyager 144 or the 155 (155 has floater skis and articulating rear suspension). Yesterday I pulled 3 guys and all our gear thru a fairly messy bush trail and across a lake with 2 ft of slush like it wasn't even there.

The voyager is the most bare bones work sled on the market, and the price is unbeatable. It wont pull quite as much as a skandic or bearcat but its way more nimble and capable in deep snow, my 144 only weighs about 430 lbs without the battery in it (very easy to crank over cold).

Take a look at the Skidoo Expedition Sport 550, its basically a tundra with an a-arm front suspension.

The Expo is the one. Remove the second seat when not needed. The 600 ACE is very nice. I think you will want scratchers whether fan or liquid cooled when there is little snow. I have them for my fan sled because the sliders will melt without snow. I have the spring style, 90% of the time you won't need them. Stud the track. You'll want them to generate some ice dust, stop, and get going when needed. For a great review check out http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/534238-tundra-lt-600-ace-vs-expedition-sport-600-ace-side-by-side/

Please report back if you get one!

Edited by Sharkbait22

I think the Bombardier stuff is better now than it has ever been.

It's a shame nobody makes a simple, light, 340/ 440 long track, ice fishing, bush sled anymore. Huge suspension, big horsepower and electric start aren't necessary in a utility sled.

I would go fan for sure and compare the Polaris versus the Ski Doo. I like Yamaha but I don't like their current models as an ice fishing sled.

I think the Bombardier stuff is better now than it has ever been.

It's a shame nobody makes a simple, light, 340/ 440 long track, ice fishing, bush sled anymore. Huge suspension, big horsepower and electric start aren't necessary in a utility sled.

I would go fan for sure and compare the Polaris versus the Ski Doo. I like Yamaha but I don't like their current models as an ice fishing sled.

The EPA has got the North American small engine market by the balls. I can guarantee you the 550 fan won't be around for many more years. It is old, reliable technology, but smokes like a chimney and plows through the fuel. I love mine, but a modern EFI 600 cc two stroke with twice the power will get around twice the fuel economy. Same reason you can't buy 2stroke outboards under 15 hp anymore (even the small evinrudes are 4stroke)

I know all about the EPA stuff. I think it has more to do with they make more money on a Cadillac than a Cavalier.

For ice fishing and the bush, I don't care about power or fuel economy. I want light weight flotation and of course reliability.

I wonder how many Bravos Yamaha sold in the last few years of their production. I'll bet it was hardly any.

I wonder how many Bravos Yamaha sold in the last few years of their production. I'll bet it was hardly any.

It probably was hardly any but the EPA also killed that model. Funny, on Kijiji you can find them in Quebec, used, a few years old, listed for more money than they were sold for new at the dealer. It is a niche market but the market exists.