Simcoe Lakers

BFSC Kevin

Well this past weekend, it seemed like it was the first opportunity to find some semi decent ice to walk on at Simcoe. So a bunch of us decided to try our hands at landing our first laker of the year. We arrived at around 8am to find ourselves to be not the only fools there. Once we got to a spot in about 90 FOW, before I had a chance to even drill a hole (since I kept walking further), Dru and Mike hooked up back to back to back. This further delayed my fishing time since I ran back to them to film..... This was just the first few minutes of the day. The rest of the day wasn't as stellar but by no means am I complaining about the action, I got a pretty good work out running around filming. Below is a highlight video of the day. Enjoy :)

12647046_746656672101388_830722381117910

Great video Guys!

Personally though.. I think your taking a very big risk not chipping your way out with a spud pole on 3" of ice.. IMO.

Not to say I wouldnt fish 3".. I do it all the time. But I chip every step I take. Every step.

Edited by N.A.W

Great video Guys!

Personally though.. I think your taking a very big risk not chipping your way out with a spud pole on 3" of ice.. IMO.

Not to say I wouldnt fish 3".. I do it all the time. But I chip every step I take. Every step.

I said the same thing. No spuds. Running around. Not a care in the world. Doesn't send a good message to those that are not experienced. Great day fishing that won't soon be forgotten, but a little common sense goes a long way. I was on that same ice the same day and we found at least 5 spots that couldn't be more than 1 1/2". 2" at best. Most was 3-4 but it only takes one step in the wrong place to wreck a day. Just sayin.

Glad you guys liked the video. Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Way better than the crap on WFN. Crazy day, great video, and they all went back down the hole, very cool!

Most went back except for one that took it a bit too deep and into the gills :(

Great video Guys!

Thanks NAW and thanks for the concern. I won't argue that it wasn't risky.

Forecast for the next few days is going to make that sketchy ice even worse!

Agreed. I don't think I will would want to venture out there again this week.

Congrats guys and Great video, That's better than any fishing show on TV and no infomercials. :good:

Looks like you were out from suicide hill :rolleyes:

No Whities to be had?

Bingo.

One whitie was iced B)

We saw them come and go but only one committed.

I said the same thing. No spuds. Running around. Not a care in the world. Doesn't send a good message to those that are not experienced. Great day fishing that won't soon be forgotten, but a little common sense goes a long way. I was on that same ice the same day and we found at least 5 spots that couldn't be more than 1 1/2". 2" at best. Most was 3-4 but it only takes one step in the wrong place to wreck a day. Just sayin.

I appreciate your statement.

Caution should always be taken when heading out on the ice, even when it is thicker. You just never know.

I have to say, your videos are friggen awesome.....they are all great. Keep them coming, I watch them all.

I would also concur what others have said about using a spud. I am the first to go out on sketchy ice too, but there is NO WAY I would do it without a spud. That is just plain stupid (sorry, and no offence). I hope you don't learn the hard way. When someone goes in, stuff goes crazy fast, and its always when you least expect it. Be prepared for it. Another thing, walking around with your floater suits half off is suicide if you ever did fall thru the ice. You will have a seriously hard time getting back out with your suits like that. I'm not preaching, just passing on things I have learned the hard way myself, and I mean no offence at all, because I have done it, and pushed my luck many times. Ice like that has to be checked EVERY step of the way. Please get a good spud. You might be surprised what your walking on out there by using it.

S.