river ice fishing safety, close call

manitoubass2

Few more tips i forgot.

Keep your phone somewhere else. Once its dunked your not calling for help. Even if your phone works good luck dialing a number as your hands are 95% useless.

Once out, spider crawl to a safe location.

And if you have a float suit(you should if you ice fish rivers or other sketchy area)

Put it on and go to your local swimming pool to learn how it feels and how to menuever

Edited by manitoubass2

I just lost a fairly long reply. Readers digest version. I don't have a line up of people that want to be my friend so I can't afford to lose anymore Rick. Ice fishing alone? What are you stupid? Leave that wonderful young woman with a dozen little Ricks to raise on her own and I'm coming up there, dig you up and kill you all over again.

JD

I don't have auto save here anymore since new laptop Windows 10, any tips guys? Using Explorer, Windows 10, second version.

I wish you a speedy recovery & thanx for the safety tips. We'll all learn from your report. I'm purchasing new safety ice picks TODAY! I presently have a brand new pair I bought 4 years ago. They are junk! They're the type that the pointed end sticks into the other pick. Extremely difficult to pull them apart. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to separate them in an emergency situation. I'm searching for the ones that are retractable - like "spring loaded".

Another tip guys. Carry a pealess (Fox) whistle with you! My whistle is tied to my floater suit AT ALL TIMES!! When in my boat I have at least 2 whistles. 1 is secured to my PFD, the other 1 is tied to my tackle bag which is located right at my feet. A bit of a hijack, but, I'm sure others will appreciate some safety tips.

We used to tie 5" spikes on a string, run the string in your coat and the spikes went into your pocket. I have never seen ice picks. If you have a large enough inflatable PFD I guess you can wear it over your coat if you don't have a survival suit. For the avid ice guy I would say a survival suit is a must have, especially if fishing solo. I'm surprised the Gov. hasn't mandated certain safety equipment must be worn or available to go out on the ice. As well a minimum thickness of ice for walking or using a machine. We must have certain safety items for boating why not ice fishing? I know myself for the few times every few years I go out on the ice I would not invest in a survival suit. I saw a show on a fishing show where they were testing various survival suits, some were basically a coffin and the best was were the survivor lasted 20 minutes or so before the effects of hypothermia started to set in and that was because of water on the face thrashing about.

All very good tips. And you are not stupid Rick, I was angry with you for not using you noggin.

And OI, I was chatting with a bud earlier about float suits.

Spend money and get the best you can get. One quality suit should last a darn long time.

Mines not a typical suit. Its from fire a rescue and the suits are worth at least 3 grand or more.

Also, like I mentioned earlier, at least I think I did? Lol

Go to your local pool and practise. Because if youve never gone through before and you come up belly first I garauntee youll panic, and thats bad.

The key is to use an arm and a leg to rotate to your belly(trust me it feels weird at first, like being in a sumo wrestler costume lol). Once in your belly, you should be out in 30 seconds.

Spider crawl to safety. If ya have a hood, use it and turn your head against the wind.

Get dry asap and get warm liquids asap.

Its gonna hurt, especially your hands as they circulate blood. Im serious here. Its about 5-10 minutes of excruciating pain. If ya ever froze your toes and they hurt when you unthaw, yeah its like that x100 lol.

Edited by manitoubass2

All good points Rick thanx. I do have a question? "Unthaw"?? If you freeze a chunk of meat, it is frozen hard - RIGHT.

If you thaw that piece of meat it is soft - Right?

So if you "unthaw" that hunk of meat? What are you actually doing? Think about it. Let me know what you come up with. LOL!

Sorry, I got too much time on my hands! Waiting to go ice fishing.

http://www.wikihow.com/Survive-a-Fall-Through-Ice

The above is a good set of rules if you have not had the experience of going through. I did once while walking the Bay of Quinte. Lucky for me it was in 6 feet of water. If it was any deeper I guarantee more panic would have set in and I would be a gonner. My pals thought it to be humorous for some reason.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Rick said "Spend money and get the best you can get. One quality suit should last a darn long time."

In theory it should last a lifetime as long as I stop gaining this belly I found after the holidays. Like I said after watching that test of survival suits they are not all created equally.

Rick said "Spend money and get the best you can get. One quality suit should last a darn long time."

In theory it should last a lifetime as long as I stop gaining this belly I found after the holidays. Like I said after watching that test of survival suits they are not all created equally.

Yip, the only real reason it wont last a lifetime is 1)its abused and get ripped or something 2)you outgrow it.

And HD, my wife is used to my lifestyle lol. Just another story to tell

Only time she was really worried is when I went camping for a weekend and we lost buddies boat and got stranded on an island for 8 days(crazy story)

Edited by manitoubass2

so what happens next?!

Are you going to try to recover your sled? Are you legally obligated to notify the authorities otherwise??

If you have comprehensive insurance, you'd have to file a police report in order to claim for your sled.. so if you're not going to make a claim, do you just leave it there?

Some inquiring minds would like to know!

so what happens next?!

Are you going to try to recover your sled? Are you legally obligated to notify the authorities otherwise??

If you have comprehensive insurance, you'd have to file a police report in order to claim for your sled.. so if you're not going to make a claim, do you just leave it there?

Some inquiring minds would like to know!

No way to recover it now.

Edited by manitoubass2