Uncut Angling 39 hrs

Fishwilly

I know what you boys mean.

When Manny was battling that huge pike, he had the fish to the gears...heavy rod doubled over....then I saw him go for the drag....thought NO don't do that...I mean, he likely wasn't tightening the drag, rather letting off it a bit....no sooner he did that the fish popped off!!! I've done that a number of times...big fish on...let off the drag....fish off. Shows that the fish simply wins every once and a while.

You can tell Manny simply has natural skills...he makes it look easy, almost like he isn't trying...but he nailed the big walleye in the river on the minnow spread, nailed the big pike (which he lost) in the last episode, caught the big crappie, and also nailed the huge sturgeon ... what a heart breaker that sturgeon was...you knew with five or six floating buoy markers that handling a huge sturgeon would be trouble....

Aaron Wiebe is a fish whisperer. The way he explains his fishing decisions is second to none. Manny's Pike, Crappie, and Sturgeon were all as a result of Aaron's excellent guidance. But Manny had the skills to hook the fish in all three cases. (just unlucky to lose two of the three).

I could watch this series forever. :)

(and yes, I'm totally game for a fun attempt of our own this spring/summer)

IMO :) think he lost that pike cause his drag was loose you can hear it when he sets, you watch the first few cranks he's spinning the handle and rods going slack. Later on when they are crappie fishing Aaron ask him to check for a tight drag....

Edited by Bondar

Bondar, I re-watched it...and I think you are 100% correct. Drag was too loose to start, then was tightening it up...which means the second he took his hand off the handle of the reel the extra slack was created - fish off.

Well, the show has got my blood pumping enough....I'm heading out on Lake Ontario tomorrow for a winter troll. :) :)

Very entertaining series and I think that may also be part of the allure (together with the things already mentioned) it's a series/story that gets your attention and keeps your interest. I'm really enjoying it, and like someone else already mentioned, shows you that even these guys loose fish from time to time.

Just watched all five episodes. Wicked show, very entertaining and funny. All of them have incredible skill. Going to Swiss Chalet now...

I'd totally be down for this, bit of a multi-species guy myself, and not afraid to get down and dirty with the coarse species!

Looking for new ideas for the 2016 OFC Fishing Tournament - hmmmm... once a month weekend tourney? Same concept?

Edited by Fisherpete

Watched the latest episode yesterday. Still entertaining, even Taro hasn't got me taking meds yet. I thought the Shimano team would be talking a run to Erie. It is spring yet they boated and measured a Smallmouth. I know it isn't the end of June by where the fish were holding according to Paul, who is obviously the team Capt. I can't be positive but I know you didn't need winter wear last June's opener. They didn't do well here, how can you go to Erie for Pics and forget line counters, Dipsys and or leadcore home? Oh I forgot what my wife keeps telling (yelling at) me " It's a TV show!!".

I like the Maniotba guy when he breaks out into his best Al Linder Chicago accent with a sprinkle of Minnisotian.

I like it.

Watched the latest episode yesterday. Still entertaining, even Taro hasn't got me taking meds yet. I thought the Shimano team would be talking a run to Erie. It is spring yet they boated and measured a Smallmouth. I know it isn't the end of June by where the fish were holding according to Paul, who is obviously the team Capt. I can't be positive but I know you didn't need winter wear last June's opener. They didn't do well here, how can you go to Erie for Pics and forget line counters, Dipsys and or leadcore home? Oh I forgot what my wife keeps telling (yelling at) me " It's a TV show!!".

I like the Maniotba guy when he breaks out into his best Al Linder Chicago accent with a sprinkle of Minnisotian.

I like it.

I noticed that too but by the end couldn't tell if he was doing it on purpose or if that's just how he talks. No spoilers because I haven't watched the last episode yet but those are the guys I am cheering for. That Weibe guy must have an education in freshwater biology. The way he talks is like an encyclopedia of knowledge. I'd love to be in the boat with that guy for a day and just pick his brain, even if he is a little dorky.

weibe reminds me so much of me and my fishing buds lol. Yes we are dorky as hell as well. I totally get their humour, it may not be for everyone.. but i know for a fact that id get along with those guys insanely well.

Also...netminder, it sort of his his manitoba accent...however he throws it on thick on purpose and I personally find it hilarious.

Taro's poem at the end of the last day had me in tears lol.

The dock perching was also epic, that totally reminded me of something that me and the buddies would do ahahha. One of my favourite parts of the whole series.

Please whatever you do, do not cast doubt on the "reality" aspect of this show...the premise of "uncut angling" is that they dont cut stuff to just make themselves look good...the classic catch the biggest fish of the entire show at the end of the show when its clearly dawn on the first day of fishing.

In regards to the (bass regulation part) Team Shimano clearly talk about catching their bass on the american side because they arent in season in canada yet...

In regards to your comment about the temperature, the guys wardrobe completely changes from the beginning of the show vs the end...why? well according to environment canada, on Saturday the high was 29 degrees in toronto, and then a low pressure system moved through (which it did on the show) and the high temperature on Sunday was 11 with a low of 7...so yes you would be wearing a full suit cause that would feel damn cold after it being almost 30 degrees the day before.

This is absolutely by far the best fishing show I have ever watched, most impressive in the last episode is how they read the water to find fish. The fishing geeks bloody drove around in a tinner, found some good water, anchored up and then proceeded to basically catch absolutely everything using a worm and a hook. Shows just how good these guys are.

Edited by AKRISONER

weibe reminds me so much of me and my fishing buds lol. Yes we are dorky as hell as well. I totally get their humour, it may not be for everyone.. but i know for a fact that id get along with those guys insanely well.

Also...netminder, it sort of his his manitoba accent...however he throws it on thick on purpose and I personally find it hilarious.

Taro's poem at the end of the last day had me in tears lol.

The dock perching was also epic, that totally reminded me of something that me and the buddies would do ahahha. One of my favourite parts of the whole series.

Please whatever you do, do not cast doubt on the "reality" aspect of this show...the premise of "uncut angling" is that they dont cut stuff to just make themselves look good...the classic catch the biggest fish of the entire show at the end of the show when its clearly dawn on the first day of fishing.

In regards to the (bass regulation part) Team Shimano clearly talk about catching their bass on the american side because they arent in season in canada yet...

In regards to your comment about the temperature, the guys wardrobe completely changes from the beginning of the show vs the end...why? well according to environment canada, on Saturday the high was 29 degrees in toronto, and then a low pressure system moved through (which it did on the show) and the high temperature on Sunday was 11 with a low of 7...so yes you would be wearing a full suit cause that would feel damn cold after it being almost 30 degrees the day before.

This is absolutely by far the best fishing show I have ever watched, most impressive in the last episode is how they read the water to find fish. The fishing geeks bloody drove around in a tinner, found some good water, anchored up and then proceeded to basically catch absolutely everything using a worm and a hook. Shows just how good these guys are.

Thats how you river fish! It teaches you alot!

If you would get along with these guys then we'd have a blast together!!!

This show has been awesome! Cant wait to see what 7 brings!!!

6 is the last ep...i could see this turning into something bigger though

It says at the end episode 7 coming because of the tie.

It even has him on the phone sating hes getting in touch with shimano about more rods and will do another 39 hour tie break if they need to lol

Edited by manitoubass2

• 1 month later...

Great show! I thought team shimano would win easily but looking for perch for 7 hours has gotta be tough lol :D . I think swiss chalet also got to them lol.

I feel team sask will win as well. All in all, one of the best shows I have ever watched!

Any idea when it will be out on youtube? is it same day or is a there a wait?

Edited by huzzsaba

Not sure I'm fully for the idea for the playoff. The whole show up to this point was about multi-species and now they limit it to ONLY walleye? Kinda lame, IMO. They could have picked a different target species for each period or something. Mix it up a bit.

Not saying I won't watch. It's still entertaining :D