Need help choosing a Boat Cover

Peter63

Hi All, I recently picked up a Legend 16 XGS and want to get a boat cover for it but don't want to pay for the Ĺegend Boat cover from the dealer. Even with the Dealer giving me a deal, we are talking $500. (REGULAR $800?). Does anyone have experience with either Attwood or Taylor Made? Do they fit Deep V Side Consoles okay? Even these run about $350. Is there a better alternative out there that I am mising?

I'd get the dealer cover ,and protect your investment..I had one custom made for 800.00 ,I wouldn't pay 80.00 for a fishing rod let alone a Cover for my boat

You wouldn't pay $80 for a fishing rod? I have rods that cost me $30 on sale, and I have one rod that Spiel wrapped that cost me round about a grand, and many in between those ranges. The $30 rods probably see more time on the water. Custom covers are nice my latest aquisition came with one, but I've had no problems with the cheapos in the past either. To each their own.

I would go with the Legend cover, as stated protects your investment, keeping the elements out when docked is essential and cheap covers will be replaced (blown off during travel etc.)

Congrats on the boat.

Dave

Edited by DaveRoach

I've used a few different ones from Canadian Tire, and if you can pick one up when they are on sale they do work ok, but are a bit more of a hassle with the straps etc. They also are prone to wearing/tearing on any rough edges on your boat where the cover will contact when trailering. $500 for a dealer made snap down cover which will fit your boat perfect is a pretty good deal. It's on my wish list for this year.

Pete

Dealer cover all the way. I had a CT cover for my old boat. Didnt last all that long. When we bought our Smoker we had one done up for it. Going on 6 years now and have only replaced a couple buttons. Will never own another boat without one.

That said, its not a winter cover.

When you are buying a boat, you are in the best position to negotiate for accessories.

Things like a cover or spare trailer tire. When I bought my Lund there was blood on the floor

When we were done both parties were happy.

Still managed to forget the spare tire.

Got upgraded to Yammy, travel cover, full stand up cover.

Trade in

Once you've signed off you've lost your leverage.

IMO, There are only two options. Factory Cover or custom cover. I bought one of the Canadian Tire covers for my dad and it lasted about a year. It was great for the price but if you want it to last, buy a good one and $500 for a factory cover is good.

My personal cover is a factory one that is 11 years old. I have to re seal it this year but it is still going strong. so if your factory cover for $500 lasts half as long as mine has, you will be further ahead in the long run.

Adam

Yeah I don't get all these stories of cheap covers falling apart after a year. I bought a cover for $100 from bass pro that had a 4 year warranty if you'll believe it. It outlasted it's warranty, and I towed with it, left it outside etc. The custom covers are great, the used boat I bought came with one. But I still throw a cheap cover that I bought for $25 on clearance at princess auto over top, I've had that cover on 2 boats over 3 years now and it's still in good condition. My boats are stored outside 24/7. I must be incredibly lucky. I do agree that $500 is pretty reasonable for a dealer cover though.

Edited by porkpie

I've used the Attwood's for the last 5 years. I'm on my 3rd cover. I use it for docking only. After 2 years it breaks down from the sun exposure and starts to rip.

Replacement is under warranty but only for the original purchase.

Its a bit of a hassle to put on with the straps. I was looking at getting a custom cover after my current cover eventually rips, for ease of use (snaps) and more durability.

At $500 I would not hesitate.

For anyone's info there are 2 types of covers, mooring and travel covers. The 100 buck covers from CTC more mooring cover than travel cover. a proper travel cover snaps down, If it ties under the hull it is more mooring than travel. Some of this type will let you travel but not with confidence. I would hate to see what happens if all or part of the cover flies off. I cover my boat when at the slip and use 3 Javex bottles full of water on each side hooked with S hooks into grommets to hold it down. No fussing or pulling cords tight at the stern . If and when there is enough in the budget to get a travel cover made I will only use it to travel then usethe mooring at the boat slip. Snapping a travel cover when the boat is in the water isn't an easy task. The only problem with using a mooring cover at the dock is that a good wind will blow the aluminum poles (2) that take out the slack in the cover. I made a base with a 4" toilet closet flange to stabilize it with a section of 4" ABS, then a reducing nipple to 1" then slide the "tent" poles into the 1".

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Thanks for all the good feedback everyone. I think I will go ahead with the Dealer supplied cover. What the heck. In for a penny, in for a pound. I would hate to cheap out on the cover only to realize I want it later and have to pay full price.

Go with the dealer cover. You'll appreciate the snaps and that's a good price. I got a cover made from boatcovers.com... I got the highest grade fabric and it came to around $450cdn shipped. It's solid and holding up well after a few years use but now looking back... wish I spent a few bucks more to get a snap on cover. The straps (i also use bungee cords) can be a bit annoying and its not as snug/taught as snap on. Also snap on is much better if you need it as a mooring cover.

• 2 months later...

Bumping this thread...

Can anyone chime in on this cover? http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/14-to-16-ft-x-90-in-boat-cover/A-p8183659e

The boat will be stored outside and never towed with the cover on.

Edit: or this for a bit more coin http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/stormpro-trade-heavy-duty-boat-cover/A-p8275976e

Edited by hsousa

Custom cover made out of Top Gun or Sunbrella materiel is the way to go IMO,

I had it custom made 12 years ago, it is still in good shape and fits like a glove, at that time $700 for a boat cover seemed outrageous but in the long run it actually worked out cheaper than buying several cheaper covers not to mention the aggravation.

Custom made cover is the only way to go !!! I have probly 50,000km of towing on my custom made cover for my Lund and it's awesome it's got snaps all around and was made by hand and is worth every penny !!!!! Not a drop of water gets in and keeps the inside of my boat debris and water free ..... If you do a fair amount of towing it's the only way to go and yes they are not cheap and mine was close to a grand .... But 10yrs now and starting to show some age but has performed perfect and has not owed me anything For the cost of my boat and the protection it gives it was a no brainer to spend the money and have a custom one made .... You learn these things after owning many many boats do it right and its done ... I have had many store bought covers & tried them all and they just don't work like custom made ones period