Ganny Atlantics

esoxansteel

their stocking practices are pour and their track record has proven this. (Brown trout stocking, Chinook stocking and Atlantic stocking) Which is why they are trying to change their ways.

Bottom line, when fish can spawn on their own, fisheries will flourish.

How about lowering the take limit on these fish. 1 trout,1 salmon? From the mouth up. Yes/no?

How about lowering the take limit on these fish. 1 trout,1 salmon? From the mouth up. Yes/no?

Absolutely. Our limit of fish for the lake and Tribs are horrendous. Lake and charter boats destroy populations of trout. Time for a real change in regards to limits.

Mnr is mismanaging the whole fishery. They are not held accountable for pour results.

Absolutely. Our limit of fish for the lake and Tribs are horrendous. Lake and charter boats destroy populations of trout. Time for a real change in regards to limits.

Mnr is mismanaging the whole fishery. They are not held accountable for pour results.

I dont think I would go that far. They only do what they can. They dont get all the dollars we pay for lic. It,s almost like they are pawns,puppets now. Sad as it might seem, but true.

their stocking practices are pour and their track record has proven this. (Brown trout stocking, Chinook stocking and Atlantic stocking) Which is why they are trying to change their ways.

Bottom line, when fish can spawn on their own, fisheries will flourish.

Regardless of how poor the stocking practices are, the current practices have resulted in continued returns of Chinook on the Credit. If they continue with the current practices then I would expect to see continued returns of Chinook on the Credit. They may very well be missing an opportunity to have far better returns; but I don't see any reason for the existing returns to disappear.

They may actually see an improvement in the returns if the wild Ganny strain of Chinooks (which will be stocked on the Bronte & Credit) provide better returns than the put & take from the Credit.

They are increasing quota as well to the West end so there might be a few more. But when you see 2-3,000 nooks total returning fish to the Credit, it is a waste. Enough fish to get mnr quota for eggs but those kind of numbers have nothing to offer anglers in the lake and in the river. Isn't that what we all want??? More angling opportunities!

I dont think I would go that far. They only do what they can. They dont get all the dollars we pay for lic. It,s almost like they are pawns,puppets now. Sad as it might seem, but true.

Brian, you're a victim of your own environment. Aurora district is a mess. Go north to see what other mnr districts do to preserve and maintain their fisheries. They would laugh at what goes on down here. The main focus has been lost.

And it costs nothing to let fish swim and reproduce. They are doing it the very hard and difficult way. It's a joke.

Edited by VXP

Atlantic are a heritage species. They run the rivers spawn and return to the lake till next year. Think it's up to 3 spawns.

Chinnooks return ounce and die.

Atlantics are as dumb as a post. They will hit any thing flashy and bright. That's why flash on your fly's is illegal. And that's why fly fishing only.

Again I ask name the river and explain the project and supply the proof that tree plant reduce river temps or reduced silt.

WTH are you talking about? if i want to make a fly out nothing but a hook, tinsel and crystal flash, there is nothing stopping me

WTH are you talking about? if i want to make a fly out nothing but a hook, tinsel and crystal flash, there is nothing stopping me

If Im not mistaken, they outlawed tinsil on flies out east. Not eastern ontario, but east coast. :dunno:

Edited by Brian B

Brian, you're a victim of your own environment. Aurora district is a mess. Go north to see what other mnr districts do to preserve and maintain their fisheries. They would laugh at what goes on down here. The main focus has been lost.

And it costs nothing to let fish swim and reproduce. They are doing it the very hard and difficult way. It's a joke.

you're trying to compare 2 completely different river systems, that both have different dynamics in fish reproduction, on the Ganny, the fish can freely pass through a majority of the main river, with only having to pass through a fish ladder. the credit has major barriers that prevent fish from reaching prime spawning grounds on their own.

Youre perfectly entitled to disagree. But when there are no Chinnies left at the Credit....which will be soon....they will move to the Ganny.

I had my blinders on when the Atlantic program intensified on the Credit. We all thought it would benefit all species. Guess what, it didn't. And that is a fact.

They are increasing quota as well to the West end so there might be a few more. But when you see 2-3,000 nooks total returning fish to the Credit, it is a waste. Enough fish to get mnr quota for eggs but those kind of numbers have nothing to offer anglers in the lake and in the river. Isn't that what we all want??? More angling opportunities!

I never claimed that there isn't room for improvement. I was just wondering why you are expecting the Chinook runs on the Credit to disappear altogether. Or, at least that is what you wrote in your 10:48 AM post.

As long as the MNR stocks the Credit, I would expect to see returns on the Credit. No doubt, there could be better returns if the fish were given access to more of the river.

I'm referring to east coast Atlantic salmon. You would be breaking the law with flash on your fly.

please show me the regulations where it stats that.

btw this is a display as the more popular flies on the Miramichi River, on the east coast, take note at the number of flies that use tinsel on the body and the crystal flash used in others.

http://www.flyfishingatlanticsalmon.com/flies.html

like I said they are stupid from cradle to grave. Most likely don't make it out of the creeks. They spend all there time chewing on shopping carts and hub caps.

If they get to the lake where the biggest charter boat fishery is trolling flashy whirly things they all get caught as shakers.

It's been 30 years put this dog to bed.

Lake Ontario is more Ocean than lake mange it.

interesting read from many of you. CRAA has injected over 5 million dollars both cash and inkind within the Credit watershed. We have achieved our 1/2millionth tree planted and just completed a multi year funding grant at habitat repair and reforestation. We got the Ladder built at Norval by raising almost 1/2 the money MNR needed, of interest the majority of it came from a US funding source, I'm sure they would be shocked to see its not being used for anything.

CRAA for the most part has lowered temps in the vast majority of the river below the cataract to a point that there is mile after mile of suitable habitat, currently devoid of fish. I on behalf of the club petitioned MNR years ago to allowed a virtually unlimited transfer of Adult Rainbow into two up stream tributaries. Mnr via Trent genetics determined brown migratory and resident fish are one in the same and the MNR biologist started moving them above Norval, life was good and we all had lots of fish to catch on the Credit, that was also ended without any justification what so ever, which leads us to believe there was inside pressure from stakeholders within the group

We operated the streesville fishway for decades without incident as agents of the crown and as many of you are aware we recently saw record breaking rainbow trout production on the Credit as a result of the transfers. Norval was built and all of a sudden the other stakeholders somehow felt we shouldn't run a transfer program any longer, put pressure on MNR and we now no longer run the program are simply minions of the MNR, we all at the club wonder why as all the legal requirements are still valid and in place within the club, we demonstrated decades of success without incident, so we now watch fish brake their noses at Norval while we wait days on end for the MNR biologist to make time.

We provided a 5 year study to allow all fish species to utilize the new habitat and new fishways it was a solid scientific study peer reviewed by our own biologists , quietly reviewed by MNR staff outside of Aurora and was deemed a valid experiment. It was shot down by OFAH CVC TU the MNR quietly even said it was valid but the stakeholder apprehension wasn't worth the effort( yes an MNR manager said that exact wording to me)

In the interim the management plan which was up for an overhaul was on the table with species segregation or barrier passage a contentious issue. CVC all of sa sudden out of no where did a study via electric shocking where a minimal brook trout population was found and created a document that EVERY and literally every biologist shown it laughed, some within MNR said it was a career ending document others said the author killed any job movement possibilities with it, yup he is on here and I'm sure will read this, I welcome his rebuttal.

It was skewed and filled with so many errors, its only aim was to not allow migratory trout within this one river, when in fact their own data supported no change to brook trout density ( WE ARE TALKING LESS THEN A DOZEN BROOK TROUT IN TOTAL) and in fact the data showed that they all peacefully co existed.

CVC Trout Unlimited and Issiac Walton used this smoking gun to finally have the MNR Aurora district raise their hands of the entire matter and move to the native argument, theoretical fisheries and in the end these very MNR EMPLOYEES FOCUSED ON JOB PRESERVATION rather then continue the course. We have asked repeatedly why one of the truly native fish species from the ice age cant use the ladders for fish passage the small mouth bass and the answer is no answer and a refusal to even discuss that native fish species passage

As a result MNR aurora moved to this native thing, we wrote a very long rebuttal again reviewed by our biologists and our friends in MNR not in the aurora district, about the dangers of theoretical fisheries, asked why bass a native fish aren't allowed free passage MNR dismissed it and here we are.

We have a new district manager, when we went above his head to his boss's boss he quickly met with us to hear the concerns, he left saying he will provide answers and will work with us to achieve some common goals. That was last spring and to date we have no response other then I ll get back to you.

For those that follow our facebook stream you can see the apprehension of our many supporters we have asked MNR repeatedly to listen to the resource users to no avail, and her we are.

The Salar program on paper is great a new fish to catch is always welcome those running it and the mythology of how its being run are flawed.

Sadly I think they have seen the ladder opening issue for salars free passage as a no go opening the ladder on the Credit for salar passage would allow other fish into the not so special brown trout waters so rather then open the Credit up the OFAH and MNR and others will move it to the ganny, and in turn damage it and that resource hopefully not beyond saving. Its sad that someone or some group has so much influence within Aurora that this happens.

Open the damn fish ladders at Norval and Streetsville and let the fish swim.........sadly I doubt I see this in my lifetime

Hope this provided some insight as to why this move on the ganny

Great amount of success. Lawson and I help the Credit guys and Metro East to get started likely 25 years ago. Sure makes me happy that people keep stepping up.

What I would like to know is how many MNR dollars will be spent on the Ganny directly. It could take MNR bio 20 years to make a decision on any project. The easies way to keep there job is quote Crossmans book for every question and never never make a decision.

I would like to know about bank stabilization, narrowing river bed to flush silt, spawning channels that MNR agreed to and put money into.

I never claimed that there isn't room for improvement. I was just wondering why you are expecting the Chinook runs on the Credit to disappear altogether. Or, at least that is what you wrote in your 10:48 AM post.

As long as the MNR stocks the Credit, I would expect to see returns on the Credit. No doubt, there could be better returns if the fish were given access to more of the river.

A few thousand returning Chinook salmon, in my opinion, is pretty much a disappearing run of fish. But it's just enough to capture an egg quota.

The Ganny gets 8 to 10,00,000 nooks, and 10,000 idiots fishing them, and we dont stock squat! :tease: and if we had our way you can have the nooks and the idiots

like I said they are stupid from cradle to grave. Most likely don't make it out of the creeks. They spend all there time chewing on shopping carts and hub caps.

If they get to the lake where the biggest charter boat fishery is trolling flashy whirly things they all get caught as shakers.

It's been 30 years put this dog to bed.

Lake Ontario is more Ocean than lake mange it.

Then they should be stocking Oshawa Creek if they are chewin shopping carts and hubcaps :whistling:

the atlantics will be put in and will fend for them selves there is no special treatment for them. the ladder will be open for ALL fish to get through no fish will be stopped

How do you know for sure? If Atlantics gain traction on the Ganny, you can bet that mnr and ofah will be all over the ladder, monitoring it and slowing fish down. Do not trust the mnr.