Ganny Atlantics

esoxansteel

Hearing reports from people in the know, that the Ganaraska River will be the last frontier for the success or failure of the Atlantic Salmon program, apparently the river will receive annual stockings of decent size Atlantics for a better survival rate, and this will be a five year program, it will at that point be determined if Atlantics can be successfully reintroduced, the Ganny will receive a new 80,000 dollar fish counter, which will replace the 35 year old counter currently in place, and the focus for success will now be directed towards the Ganaraska, Based on the huge solely natural reproduction of Chinook Salmon in the river, and its legendary steelhead population, the spawning water is sure there, and from last years blowout and runoff, much silt has been removed exposing ideal gravel, the best ive seen i 20 plus years walking the upper river

Ok I,ll say it.

To give it a real go with all the fish, shut the river down for 5 years. That would give an honest or more true evaluation. So many hate or don't believe in the Atlantic program, but I think this would be the most productive way to give like I said, true honest evaluation of the program.

Ok back to reality, I know this wont happen, but it,s what I think should be done. If your going to spend the money, then do it right is all.

This is a smoke and mirrors kind of thing, in order to get funding for a river, it needs to be part of the Atlantic salmon program, so in essence, by the MNR including the Ganny in the program, they are opening the door to funding for, new fish counter, better monitoring and enforcement, cameras and whatnot. theres a pretty good discussion going on facebook in the Ganaraska River Wild Steelhead Association group

In all the other rivers what direct river rehab where completed.

The original bio guy sat in a trailer down at the Wilmot until retirement. Except the time he got caught making woopi with one of the techs. Nothing was done.

So give us a list name the river the location and what was done.

Atlantics are not the reason that Chinooks & bows are not allowed above the dam.

The new direction of the MNR is focused on Atlantic Salmon and Brook Trout only. Everything gets a back seat as far as I'm concerned no matter what is done on behalf of other salmonids. If my home river was the Ganny, I would be concerned.

Also keeping in mind the MNR is now shifting Chinook egg collection there as well, they will destroy that river like they did the Credit.

Edited by VXP

This is a smoke and mirrors kind of thing, in order to get funding for a river, it needs to be part of the Atlantic salmon program, so in essence, by the MNR including the Ganny in the program, they are opening the door to funding for, new fish counter, better monitoring and enforcement, cameras and whatnot. theres a pretty good discussion going on facebook in the Ganaraska River Wild Steelhead Association group

Absolutely. I used to hate the Atlantic program. I've come to realize it's just a smoke and mirrors show to improve steelhead production and habitat. They've benefitted from the "return the mighty Atlantic" nonsense. So as a steelheader at heart, I'm all for it now! Took many years before I caught on lol. Bring on the Atlantic program on the ganny!!! They are going to waste money on something, so the ganny might as well get a new counter and some trees planted.

Edited by porkpie

Absolutely. I used to hate the Atlantic program. I've come to realize it's just a smoke and mirrors show to improve steelhead production and habitat. They've benefitted from the "return the mighty Atlantic" nonsense. So as a steelheader at heart, I'm all for it now! Took many years before I caught on lol. Bring on the Atlantic program on the ganny!!! They are going to waste money on something, so the ganny might as well get a new counter and some trees planted.

My thoughts exactly. The ganny might even have habitat to support atlantics. I dont know why they even bothered with the credit......worste case, the wild fish of the ganny benifit.

S.

The new direction of the MNR is focused on Atlantic Salmon and Brook Trout only. Everything gets a back seat as far as I'm concerned no matter what is done on behalf of other salmonids. If my home river was the Ganny, I would be concerned.

Also keeping in mind the MNR is now shifting Chinook egg collection there as well, they will destroy that river like they did the Credit.

Only a small percentage of the eggs are being collected on the Ganny. The bulk of the collection is done on the Credit. The Ganny eggs add some genetic diversity, earlier spawning fish, and wild fish to the population. I doubt that they will ever stock the river with Chinooks.

The MNR has recently increased Chinook stocking from a target of 540,000 per year to 600,000 per year. They are also modifying the brown trout stocking program in order to improve the fishery and are considering adding an additional river for coho stocking (The MEA manages the coho program; but we require MNR approval). So I don't agree that other species are taking a back seat to the Atlantics.

I am not a Salmon fisherman but love to learn. Is there a significant difference between Altantic and Kings? I can now tell between a Steelhead and a Coho, I can recognize a Brown Trout now but haven't caught one. Is there some scientific reason they are choosing to introduce Atlantic on the Ganny when it didn't work on the Credit River

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I am not a Salmon fisherman but love to learn. Is there a significant difference between Altantic and Kings? I can now tell between a Steelhead and a Coho, I can recognize a Brown Trout now but haven't caught one. Is there some scientific reason they are choosing to introduce Atlantic on the Ganny when it didn't work on the Credit River

No, they are just a bunch of bozos trying to stick a square peg in a round hole.

If I was part of any organization to go with the Ganny I would be up in arms. They will sell you on rehab and benefits for all species but in the long run its natives they want and everything else will be pushed aside.

There are individuals within mnr and the political background asking why we even have rainbows Browns chinooks etc. and are pushing for all native species reintroduction.

Atlantic are a heritage species. They run the rivers spawn and return to the lake till next year. Think it's up to 3 spawns.

Chinnooks return ounce and die.

Atlantics are as dumb as a post. They will hit any thing flashy and bright. That's why flash on your fly's is illegal. And that's why fly fishing only.

Again I ask name the river and explain the project and supply the proof that tree plant reduce river temps or reduced silt.

Atlantic are a heritage species. They run the rivers spawn and return to the lake till next year. Think it's up to 3 spawns.

Chinnooks return ounce and die.

Atlantics are as dumb as a post. They will hit any thing flashy and bright. That's why flash on your fly's is illegal. And that's why fly fishing only.

Again I ask name the river and explain the project and supply the proof that tree plant reduce river temps or reduced silt.

Are you asking for proof that planting trees on the banks of rivers reduce temps and silt levels???

Youre perfectly entitled to disagree. But when there are no Chinnies left at the Credit....which will be soon....they will move to the Ganny.

I had my blinders on when the Atlantic program intensified on the Credit. We all thought it would benefit all species. Guess what, it didn't. And that is a fact.

How do you figure that?! There's no chinnies in the credit cause there's zero return from the runs.. The chinny fishery around Port Credit is pretty much %100 put and take. And it's gonna stay that way, because of the barriers up-river to suitable spawning areas.. ie. Streetsville and Norval - The most epic waist of money from the ministry of no results, IMO)

On the opposite side of the spectrum, the chinny fishery around Port Hope is mostly natural.. because those returning fish have access to proper spawning grounds.

I think the MNR in shifting towards the Ganny because... ding ding ding, they're realising that regardless of how much stream rehab is done on the Credit, the return is gonna nill if you don't remove those barriers to fish migration!! If the atlantics are not allowed to do their thing on their own, then you can forget a self sustaining run of salars..

Youre perfectly entitled to disagree. But when there are no Chinnies left at the Credit....which will be soon....they will move to the Ganny.

I had my blinders on when the Atlantic program intensified on the Credit. We all thought it would benefit all species. Guess what, it didn't. And that is a fact.

Why would the Chinook disappear from the Credit? The MNR is continuing to stock the river.

Why would the Chinook disappear from the Credit? The MNR is continuing to stock the river.

their stocking practices are pour and their track record has proven this. (Brown trout stocking, Chinook stocking and Atlantic stocking) Which is why they are trying to change their ways.

Bottom line, when fish can spawn on their own, fisheries will flourish.