New car thoughts? nf

Kawartha Kev

I am considering buying a new vehicle and would like to know your thoughts on the following vehicles if you happen to drive one or know anything about them. The vehicles I am considering in no particular order are all around the 25 to 30K price point and are all SUV's so here they are Toyota Rav, Honda HRV, Hyundai Tuscon, Subaru Crosstrek any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks Kawartha Kev

I have a 2011 Tucson, good car, dealing with the dealership has been a PITA whenever I had to (prior to warranty being up) after having a tie rod replaced under warranty, I had to pay $110 for an alignment, so coverages of warranty are something to be looking at also.

My dad has a Rav 4 and it has been a good vehicle and does have a little bit of room for gear.

I saw the Honda HRV when I was visiting @ Christmas and it is actually smaller than the new Civic.

I personally would never buy one just because of that. The CRV is the equivalent of the Rav 4 in size and capability.

My Pilot was in the shop this week getting some body work done after a co-worker backed into it and I had a Ford Escape as a rental. It was OK and about the size of the CRV and Rav 4. A little tight for me though.

In case u need to tow a little or kids come along. Rav4 or Honda CRV. Well rated. Less expensive to repair than Subaru. Lots of used ones around.

2wd or AWD

HRV a little small and too new. Fit platform I believe.

If size not that important look at the new Civic.

Car of the Year. Looks sharp.

My wife just traded her 2010 Civic for a new 2016 Honda HRV, so far we are very impressed with the new vehicle.

Same 1.8 liter motor as Civic with AWD and CVT transmission,

Gas mileag is same as the Civic (if not slightly better) excellent in snow with Honda's AWD.

Tons of cargo room with folding rear seats in all kinds of configurations.

I went through this process a couple of years ago. I loved my 2009 RAV4, but really hated the newer model. My experience with Toyota products has been very positive, but I will never buy one again. Why? Because the dealerships are ridiculous. The same could be said for Honda. I just couldn't believe the bull I had to deal with at those places. Nissan and Kia looked like they hired a bunch of students as sales people. Ford just couldn't be bothered to help me. I felt like I was interrupting their day. My local Subaru dealership was great. I liked how they ran it. Hyundai and Mazda were alright.

Of course, ultimately it came down to the quality of the vehicle and price. I ended up going to a dealership in Kitchener (I live in London) because they matched a quote I got from a salesperson in Toronto. I almost purchased the Subaru, but I liked the look of the Mazda better. The Subaru Forester was really boring and plain inside, but an awesome vehicle to drive.

I highly recommend test driving a Hyundai Santa Fe and a Mazda CX-5 (mid or top model) as well. Hyundai's are noticeably more popular than Toyota and Honda's in my neighborhood, with good reason. Best bang for the buck by far. The new Tucson looks pretty slick too (my in-laws just bought one last November). I didn't purchase a Sante Fe because of the fuel mileage - it's a large class SUV with a mid class price.

Ultimately, the best advice I can give you is shop around for a dealership. Don't be afraid to drive to a different city to find a good one either. It saved me $5000 doing so.

Edited by adempsey

I bought a crosstrek in April as a fuel efficient, somewhat off road capable fishing vehicle. 40000kms so far and I have nothing but great things to say about it! This car will go through anything! I've had it through creeks and rivers, down 4 wheeler trails, through farmers fields and pulled my boat out up embankments I don't think my old TJ would have climbed. I get better than advertised mileage if I'm light on the throttle, up to 43mpg (5.4l/100km) on a couple road trips this past fall between London and lake Huron trib and 30mpg is easily achieved both in the city and a little better on the highway. It will tow 3000lbs too (European rating) but the mileage will obviously suffer. When I was doing test drives I was pretty sure I'd prefer the stick but ended up going with the CVT. Paddle shifters are fun too...

Edited by J Roelofsen

I just typed out a 6 point list of secrets to buying a new vehicle, 45 years of buying and destroying bikes, cars and trucks, any and all means of human transportation including a school bus we borrowed at 14. All the things I have learned and never divulged these secrets to man kind. Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is knowing how not to repeat them.

I pushed the wrong button and it is gone into outer space, gonezo, maybe the spirit of all car salesmen do not want my secrets known. Sorry, I'll try again once this Football game is over.

Thanks for all the reply's everyone seems to be happy with their purchases which somewhat confirms my thoughts that pretty much all of the vehicles are good. As some have mentioned the Santa Fe is another option but it is a little bit larger it seems to me and I have a neighbor who also mentioned it was bad on gas but a good vehicle until they found out about a known problem with the frame which was quite common although never a full recall but was prone to rot early in the life of the vehicles however that was a bit older vehicle anyway they got rid of it immediately and got a Subaru Outback and like it. I am not really looking at AWD so I don't know about the Subaru's or getting it with other ones at it adds about 1k or more to most of them. I do hope to get the vehicle for $30 K all in but would like it closer to $25K if possible I don't know if there are deals to be had out there at the moment I am just going by prices from online build your vehicle prices that I have tried. I was hoping maybe to get a better price for a full cash purchase maybe dealers would give a discount for that I don't know I am a fairly new driver only had my full license for about a year so I know insurance is going to be bad also. Anyway keep the info coming I will take it all into consideration.

Thanks Kawartha Kev

Dealers want you to finance, they are in a partnership with the banks. They don't take Canadian Tire money, they will get paid.

I will never buy new again. Only bought 1 new vehicle for myself in 40 plus years 4 years ago. Over an hour plus for an oil change, with an appointment. 6 large screens in the service waiting area giving updates with 5 service people dressed like they work on Bay St. not a car dealership. I had the body shop manager come out to look at the under carriage and he had to get under the truck to do it, no way, he made me wait for the truck to go onto a hoist "to get a better look" he didn't want to get his dress pants dusty or scratch his shinny shoes. All in the price of the "new" vehicle. I will stay away from the new car showrooms and walk across to the used and save big $.

Why new? Let the other guy take the 15% or more depreciation once the front wheel hits the road. Slightly used, you choices are limited, granted, however you will save up to 25% after only 6 months. Buy the extended warranty for peace of mind. Separate your wants and needs. Get down to 2 choices and don't believe all the reviews you read. I love my Silverado but according to some that had a bad experience they blame the vehicle and not the establishment. If new is what you "want" the best time to get a real deal is the fall or when the new year models are on the lot. Onve they have you is when the pressure to upgrade is on. And they are good at squeezing another 8K in options from undercoating to a real spare tire. If a vehicle lists at 25K get ready for the final price shock when you pay the taxes, plus AC tax, something about environmental fee, realer prep and delivery, a charge to register, it all adds up and most of which is not paid on a slightly used vehicle. I stuck to my guns when it came to after market upgrades but did choose an extended warrany. Helps me sleep at night knowing a 4 wheel drive transmission is many, many thousands of dollars alone.

I rented a Mitsubishi crossover type SUV for a road trip to Philly last summer and I can't remember what model, and I was very, very impressed. Not enough to tow my 19 foot boat though, so my needs aren't met. I think I was getting around 7.5 litres per 100K avg. Much nicer than my brothers Honda of the same type and much much less $$.

Good luck.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

gunna be tough to get into a SUV for under 30K all in even a base FWD...and make sure you compare the base models feature for feature because not all base vehicles are created equal...cash rebates are not all that strong right now!

If your financing especially if your doing a longer term you would be wise to look at vehicles with zero percent financing, Honda,Toyota,Nissan all have cost of borrowing and could cost you an additional 1,000 to 4,000 just in finance charges....the Santa Fe and the Tucson both have zero percent up to 84 months...and they have a better warranty as well....

And if your paying cash then pre-owned would be worth looking at, financing not so much 25 grand at 5% for 84 months = a lot of interest

Disclosure...I work for Hyundai....

Paid just over 31k for my limited crosstrek. Leather, power options, sunroof etc...base model was just over 27k cash purchase and the sport was 29k I believe....much cheaper than anything comparable that we were interested in.....the Mitsubishi RVR is pretty close in price too, GF didn't like the look of it tho.

Josh

Edited by J Roelofsen

Couple of things to consider:

The dealership, if there isn't one in town then you are going to be traveling everytime you need service or support. I loved my Subaru but the closest dealership was in Peterborough.

We have a Toyota and the dealership here in Lindsay have been absolutly awesom to deal with, customer service has been way above expectations and the car is an absolute dream.

I have a Nissan Rogue, HATE it and I am not happy with the dealership either, I have had several issues with the car and will never buy another Nissan or use this dealership again.

If I was in the market for a new car right now I'd be going with the Toyota.