Need ice hut advice

mr blizzard

Wife is getting tired of fishing outside at - 40s temps like yesterday

What brand of pop up gives u an inside head clearance of at least 6 foot 2 or 3 inches , I cant stand sitting ice fishing, I like to stand up, shes ok with sitting down,

We went inside a tent that was set up on the ice, a friend of my sons but I was hunched over

Just a 2 man is good for us

Just looking for a brand name so we can google it

Cabelas has one on sale but not sure of height, its 6 foot square

thx

John

I stopped into Cabelas today. The frabil quilted one is sweet, but pricey. Lots of head room.

One thing I found with ALL of the makes, the zippers are all hard to pull to close up the door. They had them sitting outside, so it was a good day to test this out.

Quickfish 3 is nice for sure.

Are you saying its only your wife that's tired of fishing in -40 outside? When its that cold, its time to crank up the hand warmers and go riding, save fishing for another day!

Lmao good one Joeytier, shes pretty willing to gever when it comes to ice fishing, yesterday she stayed out for an hour and a half, sat in the truck for 10 minutes and was out again for another hour, she gets cold but is determined lol, yes u tend to do more scooping of the hole than jigging at those temps

You can get these socks up here with Merino wool, a pair of these with a pair of cotton socks and your feet are warm all day :canadian:

I stopped into Cabelas today. The frabil quilted one is sweet, but pricey. Lots of head room.

One thing I found with ALL of the makes, the zippers are all hard to pull to close up the door. They had them sitting outside, so it was a good day to test this out.

Thx for the info Brian, yes how they work inside the store and how they operate in cold weather are two sometimes different stories, good luck fishing bud

It's your personal preference of which brand you purchase, but I have always used candle wax on the zippers and it keeps them pretty well lubricated and ice free.

Very true. I was just pointing out that all, not just one or two brands, have this issue. I guess with the design of the hub,it,s the only way the door can be made.

Very true. I was just pointing out that all, not just one or two brands, have this issue. I guess with the design of the hub,it,s the only way the door can be made.

So true Tom and Brian

I have tried ctc and cabelos but they dont sell the eskimo quickfish 3

where else can i try

The first time I used my Eskimo i panicked when I first used the zipper

By the end of the first day it seamed to "break in" and has been fine ever since...

I picked up a Clam Bigfoot XL4000 Thermal today at BassPro for $344.00 (Reg $459). It has 64 square feet of fishable space. sets up and comes down in a snap. Only time will tell how its lasts in the long run but it appears better constructed than the Frabil that i had for the last 5 years

Cheers

Craig

Can't you build an igloo? Don't have to store it and it's free, build a couple and you can move around :)

Our snow is like sugar. Does not pack worth a hoot!!!

I have to soak the trail up to my cabin with water to make it solid and grippy.

If I don't I get stuck with any type of load behind my sled.

Quickfish 3 is nice for sure.

Are you saying its only your wife that's tired of fishing in -40 outside? When its that cold, its time to crank up the hand warmers and go riding, save fishing for another day!

It may be a pretty short season in Yellowknife if you aren't willing to fish in minus 40 or below. :D

I picked up a Clam Bigfoot XL4000 Thermal today at BassPro for $344.00 (Reg $459). It has 64 square feet of fishable space. sets up and comes down in a snap. Only time will tell how its lasts in the long run but it appears better constructed than the Frabil that i had for the last 5 years

I got the BigFoot XL2000 last year and it's great! When I stand I tend to look down the hole either way so it's never been an issue here @ 6'1" tall...

It may be a pretty short season in Yellowknife if you aren't willing to fish in minus 40 or below. :D

haha good one JB even though its been stupid warm up here we have had ice on the pond behind us since October 15th, th ekids get ticked off honestly if they dont have a white halloween, seriously

Sandbag and GBW thanks for the input

Funny storey to a happy ending

I contacted Dave, the cabin guy, you may know him lol :tease: he told me of 2 or 3 prospects at ctc

first one was sold out

the second was $239, one in stock, go to the store to find it was discontinued last year

2 staff go to look for it come back 10 minutes later, nothing, said manager looked for it for a year almost should have been taken out of stock

Went back to get my wife and told her the news

Then went back to sports counter to find a different staff member at desk, said I know the storey but could u just let her see the pic as it looked so nice, thought maybe another store down south might still have one,

the latter clerk said let me check, we went to stand by warehouse doors, 20 minutes later he comes out with the rapala asylum 4,,,,got goose bumps

10x10x6'8 tall heeha covered in a bit of dust

He said lets talk to the manager as the cardboard was torn, I thought big whoop

We go up to the store manager and he knocks 140 bucks of after I praised the efforts of the clerk

A former just under 400 buck hut for 100 bucks

thx for the members help today for the persistence of the clerk and manager

And its big enough that if the fish arent biting I can chase my wife around the fishing hole till I catch her :tease:

Edited by mr blizzard