Anyone want to fish Great Slave Lake with me?

solopaddler

Are private companies aloud to have "for profit" lotteries or raffles?

I'm not sure what they're alowd. Gonna call my lawyer for clarification.

it's for profit no doubt..

No crap, read back a few replies.

I don't really understand you guys.

CB, you really don't need to understand. I was just curious to know if anyone knew if this was legal or not as I've heard that lotteries or raffles can be, as OIM stated, a slippery slope.

And if I was Mike, I'd want to be sure it was legal. But that's just me.

You are in fact 150% correct sir. :) Initially I didn't realize this and had just came from a meeting about the contest where we were bouncing all kinds of different ideas around. Like I said before there will be a free trip along with a bunch of other really cool stuff. Among other things I'm working hard with Tourism NWT to get flights to Yellowknife covered as well. I'm just not sure yet how the contest will be run, only that there will be one.

Cheers

VXP, that's the problem that may be in this, there isn't a draw. The winner is chosen on merit based on an essay after paying a fee. If it was a draw it's simple, apply for a lottery and choose a charity to donate a percentage of the monies raised and go on a road trip, if you have sold enough tickets, if not you lose. If one person is more eloquent and able to express their feelings better than another it becomes subjective and then the fairness is the slippery slope. Who is more deserving? Mike will figure it out, it's early. There is an entire page of Lawyers in the yellow pages here for a county of 45,000 citizens

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Just call the lottery and gaming commission or licencing office in your municipality, they are very good at saying no, especially if you are not a charity. It's just the way it is. Those laws are very grey, so be careful. Could you imagine the shady stuff that would go on without these rules.

Mike will figure it out and I have my fishing gear packed already.

No, no, no I'm winning. My niece that is a journalist in NYC is writing my plea. Coupled with her writing skills and me only having a year to live and being homeless I'm in like Flynn.

Edit: Mike please rethink this thing. Above is my regular sarcasm.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

First off, its fishing...who ever asked you on a fishing trip and revealed all the sordid details before you said you were in..hey, wanna go for big specs...sure..I'm in...ok, but we gotta drive 8 hours..ok, still in...well, its gonna cost a bit...sure, anything for specs...wait, how much..yada yada yada

second, its not a lottery, its a contest..skill testing question...keep it in the territories and keep OLGC out of it jeez thats trouble.

I'm not going any further with this except to say I will still donate a few bucks

First off, its fishing...who ever asked you on a fishing trip and revealed all the sordid details before you said you were in..hey, wanna go for big specs...sure..I'm in...ok, but we gotta drive 8 hours..ok, still in...well, its gonna cost a bit...sure, anything for specs...wait, how much..yada yada yada

second, its not a lottery, its a contest..skill testing question...keep it in the territories and keep OLGC out of it jeez thats trouble.

I'm not going any further with this except to say I will still donate a few bucks

The details are still being worked out Dara. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread I probably jumped the gun a bit as far as how this promotion was going to be run. Only thing I'm sure of is it'll be a great contest!

The details are still being worked out Dara. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread I probably jumped the gun a bit as far as how this promotion was going to be run. Only thing I'm sure of is it'll be a great contest!

Mike please check your e-mail. Happy New Year! :canadian:

Doug

Drifter, what is the best way to get up to your neck of the woods? Just wonderin what it would cost to get there or to GSL? I'm sure the winner of this would have to make their way up to GSL themselves.

Probably Westjet. I'm working on getting airfare to Yellowknife included as part of the package through Tourism.