Individual Channel Picking

Fisherman

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression somewhere this spring that the cable providers would be required to offer individual channel picking. I checked with rogers and all they seem to have done is give you a basic package like before and then bundles. I don't watch sports, religion or shopping channels. I don't feel the need for CMT or any franco channels. Seems they have just changed the bundles around a bit and allow picking 15/20/30 channels or package prices. We package your favourite channels. Who the *@#* is Rogers to tell me what my favourite channels are. Any explanations would be welcome.

I wish they would do that here in the states, every time it gets proposed in congress it gets shelved or voted down.

I had a basic cable package, 64 channels and it cost me about 65 bucks a month, no premium channels. I went to a bare bones cable package, 23 channels for 22 bucks a month,and the viewing choices of interest to me are the same! LOL

I look at some of the choices on a premium cable package and wonder what it costs to subsidize those channels?

Will it cost more? It might bring a dose of reality to some of the channels? When they find out how few people want to pay to support them? They way it stands now here they have you over a barrel.

Listening to a AM talk sports talk show last month and the guy says that more than 30% of ALL of our cable and sat bills go to the sports networks that in turn must pay the big leagues to allow them to cover their sports NFL being #1 by a long shot and NCAA Football second then Major League Baseball and down the line. It doesn't matter if it's Granny that has not 1 sports channel, she pays too. If the cable companies got together and decided not to pay these ridiculous prices to the networks that in turn pay huge to the leagues the days of multi million dollar players contracts would end that day. What did ABC pay for Monday Night Football a few years back? Something like a billion $$$$. That's 16 games a year, no playoffs.The dollars are just insane that they pay the bigs.

A quick search and I find the NFL in 2011 made a 10 year deal with CBS, Fox and NBC to broadcast the Super Bowl. The cost? It averages out to 3.5 Billion dollars per game. For 1 game once a freaking year. Can you hear me screaming?

We may be ranting at the wrong people for crazy cable and satellite prices.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Our Android box and unlimited internet package has saved us hundreds of dollars in the time since we cut the cord over 2 years ago. We can pick and choose our drivel on demand or watch live drivel on the satellite links. It's also replaced our aging laptop for light web surfing.

Ironmaker or kenzy

Could you provide more info. What equipment, bandwidth?, might I need. What is an android box? What is the cost to set this equipment up? I presently have cogeco with 2 of their boxes, 1 is HD, also includes internet. Cost me $129.31 per month.

Ironmaker or kenzy

Could you provide more info. What equipment, bandwidth?, might I need. What is an android box? What is the cost to set this equipment up? I presently have cogeco with 2 of their boxes, 1 is HD, also includes internet. Cost me $129.31 per month.

You can try it by downloading and installing Kodi on your computer. I often watch on my laptop if the missus is watching on the big screen or I can put it on the TV using miracast .

Ironmaker or kenzy

We have Bell Fibe internet with unlimited bandwidth so streaming and copious surfing are not an issue. The box we have is an M8s running KitKat operating system found on cell phones like Samsung Galaxy. I picked it up from a kijiji seller here in barrie for $140, thanks to a recommendation by a coworker. It came pre-loaded with the apps we needed to get started right away. He had me in his home for a 45 min tutorial on the basics and we were set!! We've only had it about 3-4 months but I wish I'd have done it sooner! This thing is amazing, movies on demand, series shows updated within hours of playing on tv, live sports from all over the world, live satellite TV from Canada, USA, UK, etc,

If anyone is interested in one around barrie, I can forward sellers info...

Jesse

The CRTC has not released the 15/20/30 "extra cannel" prices for the rest of Canada yet. The base will be $25 then you can pick on top to add 15/20/30. For a concept to a price structure check the companies in QC for an idea as it's been that way there for years. You should be able to get the basics and 20 channels on top of that for the $55 range based on what I'm hearing and seeing offered in QC. The "basics" will consist of the major networks that show 6/11pm news (global, cbc and so forth). The second it can be offered by all providers you WILL see ads.

Edited by GBW

I've also cut the cord for about 2 yrs now. Go with Android box and unlimited internet....it's all you'll need. Entire seasons of pretty much any show you can think of and tons movies, all for the low price of free per month!! (just buy the box once)

I've also cut the cord for about 2 yrs now. Go with Android box and unlimited internet....it's all you'll need. Entire seasons of pretty much any show you can think of and tons movies, all for the low price of free per month!! (just buy the box once)

Yup

It can be frustating at times, but Im happy with one bill of unlimited internet. You just need to explore the box and see whats out there. I find most UK links work best showing North American channels.

MOVIES GALOR.