Boat steering froze

bobkayla

That would be an excellent choice to keep your cable from seizing up. A few years ago I had a rusted cable on an older boat. I removed the cable, then removed the fitting at the end of the cable which provided an opening to pour transmission fluid into the cable casing. I let it sit on a flat surface for 2 -3 days. Then I carefully bent the cable in various directions to allow the oil to work it's way into the various rusted areas. You would not believe the rust & particles that appeared when I poured the oil out. This procedure did work, saved me the price of a new cable! Good Luck!

That would be an excellent choice to keep your cable from seizing up. A few years ago I had a rusted cable on an older boat. I removed the cable, then removed the fitting at the end of the cable which provided an opening to pour transmission fluid into the cable casing. I let it sit on a flat surface for 2 -3 days. Then I carefully bent the cable in various directions to allow the oil to work it's way into the various rusted areas. You would not believe the rust & particles that appeared when I poured the oil out. This procedure did work, saved me the price of a new cable! Good Luck!

I am going to have to try that on snow blower and lawn more cables that seize up, would sure be a lot less expensive than having to replace them.

Happens quite frequently in the winter with older cables. Like the idea with the nut grease niple.

Great idea Wormdunker!

Buddy in Quinte one year froze his cable and cranked his wheel to hard and broke the cable.

So we did the Red Green thing, Duck taped his paddle to the motor and did the tiller thing all weekend,

one guy on the gas lever and the other sitting on the motor well steering the boat.

Edited by Fish Farmer

It did break free this morning,no problem,,a few turns of the wheel,,,the boat is only 4 yrs old ,,,so i don't think it is rust,,hope not ,,,just wondering if there is water getting in or water that has already been in there a while,,,the boat sits in the driveway till the weather gets really bad because I use it in niagara in the fall early winter,,,,don't want it to freeze up on the way down there this year