Help with new rod!

Garcia96

Hello I'm new to ontariofishingcommunity.com and I love it! But was wondering if someone on here could give some advice. I'm about to make my first order online at Americanlegacy.com and wanting to purchase the Diawa ballistic ex 2500 and the Shimano zodias 6'8" or 7' medium light action rod. Do you guys think it's a good match and good balance?

Also my current rod is an Abu Garcia 6'6" medium action rod and it says max lure weight is 3/8 oz.. The new rod I want to buy is medium light action only and its 7 feet but says max lure weight is 3/8 oz? Does that mean it will have same fighting strength? I'm asking because they don't carry just the medium action rod. Reply back would be much appreciated :)

As far as the rods they are both good choices and I wouldn't over think it much. I have a 5'6 Abu ultra lite as well as a 6'6" and I love them both. I don't buy anything I can't see and touch. Can you not look at one locally then buy it online if it's a deal. Both the local tackle shops I deal with will match most online prices and order the item in. Fishing World and Bill's Bait in Hamilton.

I would like to welcome you aboard. Good fishing.

I assume that the $169 price is in USD which works out to $263 in Canadian dollars plus shipping of course. If I were you I'd shop in my area which in your case is a decent area for tackle shops. Go talk to them and see what they say. Then you can always come back to our classifieds and see what some of the members here in your area might have for sale. Just a thought.

edit: Wayne's too fast. :D

edit: Wayne's too fast. :D

so easy to make an inappropriate comment there...

Go to a few smaller places that have the brands you're after and put the rod and reel together to see if you like the feel of it. You might find a rod or reel off your list to match up better. If I ever buy online I know what I'm getting from seeing it and holding it prior. The CAD vs USD will kill your "deal" as stated...

Ya, I buy online, once I know it works for me. Deals now are not there IMO with the CDN $.

Gas is in my favor though. 88 a lt this morning. :canadian:

Fisherpete gives stuff away in the clfieds. LOL

Welcome to the site BTW.

Edited by Brian B

Deals or not, a 2500 series reel seems pretty heavy to match up with a 7' med lt rod but i'm basing that on walleye type rods.

Best to go to a store and put the reel on the rod and see what you think

Thanks for the replies guys! I live in Cambridge and I don't know small local shops around here. A lot closed down from what I heard. I can try calling around. The reason why I was going for medium light was because the lure weight max was 3/8 oz and my medium action Abu I have now is the exact same lure weight requirement but it's medium action. I'd have to feel it myself. But if have to go for the medium then I will pair it with the 2500.

The reason why I was going for medium light was because the lure weight max was 3/8 oz and my medium action Abu I have now is the exact same lure weight requirement but it's medium action.

You have said this a few times now, so what are you going to use the new combo for? That may help out better telling us what you want to use the new combo for in giving feedback to other options out there.

buick14 is telling you some good info there too. He's one to trust there as he's got a TOP NOTCH arsenal of fishing gear... You DO want to check what's being sold on this site first as Brian mentioned. I have gotten a few things off Pete at great rates! Others too... Just some 'food for thought' there.

I usually just go wading with in-lines , x raps. Soft plastics. Mostly fish smallmouth in the grand. Trying to find pike spots. I emailed few local stores. My father was just telling me about angling outfitters in Woodstock. Prob going to check it out. Idk why but my heart is on the 2 new Diawa reels. Apparently super smooth , light , waterproof drag system. Fishing world I will be checking too. And most good rods and reels that caught my eye at sail are sold out but could possibly check it out still for at least a rod.

Yup be careful when purchasing on line from the USA. I just learned the hard way. New inflatable PFD regular $200 on sale 1/2 price - $99.00. with shipping 26 bux + exchange on the dollar they billed my visa $176.00! That's not all. I just received a bill from UPS. The bill states I owe them another $41.00 for import duties & brokerage fees & of course HST! So the total for a 99 dollar PFD is now $217.00! Do your best to shop at your local tackle shop.