World Juniors - Canada's play so far

lhousesoccer

that is because of our junior hockey.

many leagues (mostly driven by "moms" and "weak" dads) want to remove body checking completely.

the "concussion" time of sports is alive and well.....Canada's physical play will reduce year after year until the idea of physical hockey in juniors is all but eliminated.

Chedoke for sure.

The quad pads as well I believe.

But Chedoke twin pads, the one surface is Olympic size.

Oh yes, I forgot about Chedoke. The quads are all NHL sized (85' wide). I was looking for a big sheet for a summer program and couldn't find one, Chedoke didn't have summer ice which is why I was SOL....

Sorry for the minor hi-jack of the thread...... now back to team Canada!

Edited by G.mech

just because the European teams are playing finesse skill hockey does not mean that we have to.

Yes the game is evolving, but we cant forget that Canadian's make up 85% of the NHL.

Not meaning to split hairs but the NHL is now less than 50% Canadians about 20% Americans and 30% Europeans (& others). It has changed dramatically in the last 30 years which may account for the game becoming more 'Europeanized'.

Here's a chart with the past and present breakdown:

http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_PlayerNationalities.php

fwiw, I'd sooner see Olympic style hockey (more end to end with some hits) that features more skillful passing and skating vs the usual physicality at all costs 'cuz canadians giv'r' mentality. and I'll be the first to admit that what clarke did to Kharlamov's ankle was absolutely disgusting. that's not my hockey and not how I want our games to be remembered. ymmv

Edited by woodenboater

When the players are encouraged with the "New NHL" mentality where the hitting is almost gone. End to end shiny is what is left. The toughness of the game is becoming obsolete. So many penalties are "staged" and according to the rules the offence is called. My personal favourite is the "love tap" on the opponents stick and it gets dropped. ...... slashing penalty...HOLD THE FREAKIN STICK...... Slap the opponents stick and it breaks......OPPS PENALTY. A freaking $500 stick and it breaks like paper......gimme a break. Get a real piece of lumber. That didn't happen when the used wood sticks.

The head shots had to go as that is very dangerous but holy cow there are way too many ticky tack penalties that decide the outcome of the games. When we see a real good body check now, it's a rare thing and the crowd goes nuts. 20 years ago it was the way everybody played.

Hard hitting is a part of the game, and the NHL has changed that (call it European hockey if you like).

Our Juniors turned to body checking in the first period againsh the Finns. The momentum changed in our favour, trouble was we couldn't keep that up.

Time to get back to basics. Look who wins the Stanley cup...teams that get physical with a smattering of skill players. LA has won a few cups on pure toughness for example. The last thing I want to see is a team of Phil Kessels. And how's he doing ?

My 2 cents ......muddler

100% AGREE WITH THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was passing the local rink here on the weekend. I seen this parent, dragging the hockey bag on WHEELS.,The hockey boy,carring his stick.

My boys played goal. They carried thier own pads over one shoulder,two sticks in hand and the body bag over the other shoulder.

I just shook my head.

My boys played goal. They carried thier own pads over one shoulder,two sticks in hand and the body bag over the other shoulder.

I just shook my head.

I did the same, sometimes my dad would hold the sticks though and grab the door for me as I smushed my way in the doors lol Edited by Lucas F

When the players are encouraged with the "New NHL" mentality where the hitting is almost gone. End to end shiny is what is left. The toughness of the game is becoming obsolete. So many penalties are "staged" and according to the rules the offence is called. My personal favourite is the "love tap" on the opponents stick and it gets dropped. ...... slashing penalty...HOLD THE FREAKIN STICK...... Slap the opponents stick and it breaks......OPPS PENALTY. A freaking $500 stick and it breaks like paper......gimme a break. Get a real piece of lumber. That didn't happen when the used wood sticks.

The head shots had to go as that is very dangerous but holy cow there are way too many ticky tack penalties that decide the outcome of the games. When we see a real good body check now, it's a rare thing and the crowd goes nuts. 20 years ago it was the way everybody played.

Hard hitting is a part of the game, and the NHL has changed that (call it European hockey if you like).

Our Juniors turned to body checking in the first period againsh the Finns. The momentum changed in our favour, trouble was we couldn't keep that up.

Time to get back to basics. Look who wins the Stanley cup...teams that get physical with a smattering of skill players. LA has won a few cups on pure toughness for example. The last thing I want to see is a team of Phil Kessels. And how's he doing ?

My 2 cents ......muddler

Montreal, Dallas, The islanders, washington (until this year) all good teams that fare well in the regular season but get ground out in the playoffs. You cant win the cup playing soft hockey.