New trolling motor in the Spring! but some curves ahead...

Raycaster

I have a 16' Pontoon for fishing with a old 30hp Yamaha that gets it around fine but always planned for a trolling motor. I've been saving up and Santa also came thru big time this year with almost every family member helping out too!

The small detail is that I have 2/3 the cost of a Minn Kota 80/ipilot but all in SAIL gift cards! Sail most of the time price matches so I'm not overly concerned about the price but their online/store selection is very small. I think they can order almost everything but again I'm not 100% sure.

Didn't want to turn this thread into a Minn Kota vs. Xi5 thread but I don't even know if they supply Motorguide equipment.

My main question is just SAIL information, just thought I'd post here before venturing to the store for a chat.

A 80 thrust is overkill for a very light 16' pontoon but I see myself using it more than the gas guzzling engine most days.

BTW, if any one has custom fit one of these motors on the front of a pontoon I'd love to see the different options. I'll probably set it up to detach and lock up as it will be worth more than the boat!

On a pontoon boat I don't know that it's overkill. I've only ever fished off one, but it was a bit of a sail in the wind. I have an xi5, but the minn kotas are pretty awesome, I doubt you'll have any regrets! Definitely get a quick release bracket. My boat sits in my driveway , but I still pull the motor off. Enjoy.

Edited by porkpie

Like Brad said, 80 is not overkill on even a smaller pontoon, you will be thankful for the extra power whenever there is any wind. SAIL does not display that many models of trolling motors in the store, but I'm almost positive they can get any of the Minn Kotas in for you. Are you thinking the Powerdrive or Terrova? Make sure you talk to an expert about proper shaft length for your pontoon. Wait until they have their 15% off sales (on right now, and every few months) and you will get a great deal.

Remember too that 70 and up will be a 24V system - so 2 batteries needed. Maybe a different charger (2 bank)...

Edited by Fisherpete

Thank you for the replies, awesome forum.

I originally targeted a Terrova 80 with 60" shaft & Ipilot but have been looking at the xi5 too.

Still just giddy with the idea of not needing to toss an anchor overboard all the time and throw the back out!

I love the way everyone looks away when the anchor has to come up...

Thanks for the other points - got to factor in batteries + breaker + cabling + bracket costs.

Yes, my boat does sail in the wind with the bimini up for sure.

I have the xi5 80 24 volt on a 19ft Ranger it moves it around well. You will be happy with it but as others said you will not want to go any smaller. The XI5 talks to your HDS series lowrance units if you want to hook it up as a network. The xi5 will not follow a contour map however you can program it to run courses if you want. Most of the time I use the heading lock and just point it to a place in the distance and it will correct for wind and water to get there. I also use the anchor lock which holds you in a 5ft point as you catch and release a fish. My understanding is the ipilot does the same thing with contour following as a plus. I found the xi5 to be quieter, tighter on the spot lock and the foot petal less likely to over run on control input.

Art

Big curve today, talking to burlington sales rep said basically I'm sol as from his experience they stock almost nothing and what they have is what you get. He said the website is inaccurate and good luck even getting close to options i want as they wont order something to exact customer needs.

I will phone headquarters as being told that the 3 minn kotas on display are my only choice is brutal.

Originally suggested sail to family as they are the closest and a minn kota Supplier. Of course no returns on gift certificates....

Sail normally stocks the Terrova 80/60/US-2 with I-pilot which sounds like what you are looking for isn't it? I shopped hard for one last year and their regular price was very competitive on these and they had them in stock in Burlington. I waited until the 15% off store wide sale in February and pulled the trigger then.

Edited by G.mech

I've got the Terrova with us2 and ipilot. If that is all you can get from sail, it is worth having us2 if you ever want to upgrade to a bugger unit up front.

What everyone else is saying is true.

Now as for sail... I have a buddy who used to work there. Essentially, their buyers put in one but order a year for all of their stores then figure out what goes where. This means that the stores themselves don't even know (or have a say in) what they carry. Even staff members cannot order what they want to buy so I'm not surprised to hear that they will not order you the exact TM you want. Fortunately what you want is usually sitting in the store (with US2).

Now, Aplumma mentioned the Xi5 can be hooked to an. HDS unit. The terrova can be hooked to a humminbird unit as well but you need the ipilot link version.

If 80 is not overkill for 16' pontoon, I wonder which trolling motor would
you recommend guys for 10' inflatable?
they recommend max 10HP motor, no more than 15.

You will find that you have a lot of drag in the water and with the ability to hold 5 people you will want one that can move the boat without a gas motor pretty well. If it is used along side of a gas motor then you can get away with a much smaller unit. i have a 12volt 40 lb thrust on a 10ft pelican with 2 people and 3-4 mph is easily done. Since I only use it on small lakes and ponds it does not have a gas motor. If I wanted to I could put an 24 volt 80 on it which propels my 18ft Ranger at 4-5mph would get me 5-7mph in the pelican.

Welcome to the board BTW.

Art

You will find that you have a lot of drag in the water and with the ability to hold 5 people you will want one that can move the boat without a gas motor pretty well. If it is used along side of a gas motor then you can get away with a much smaller unit. i have a 12volt 40 lb thrust on a 10ft pelican with 2 people and 3-4 mph is easily done. Since I only use it on small lakes and ponds it does not have a gas motor. If I wanted to I could put an 24 volt 80 on it which propels my 18ft Ranger at 4-5mph would get me 5-7mph in the pelican.

Welcome to the board BTW.

Thank you Art :)

I didn't want to buy any gas powered motor because places I visit mostly do not allow to use it. I wonder if 40 will be good enough and how big distance I can make.
Thinking about backup battery as well in case I run out of the juice.
24 volt requires 2 batteries, I cannot imaging hauling backup combo for it :) Unless I am missing something?

No after 50lbs you will need 24 volts. The new motors have charge indicators so you will most likely not be surprised with a dead battery without warning. I am using a agm battery which is a little lighter and a better battery in my opinion. Most of my fishing is done on 10-20 percent of the lowest speed and full throttle to get back to the dock. This yields me 5 hours of fishing with better than 1/4 of the charge remaining. Run full out and you can suck down a battery in an hour though.

Art