Do steelheaders still tie spawn bags?

akaShag

Again you Trout guys sound like you are speaking Klingon to an old time Walleye guy. I caught my first Rainbow 3 years ago trawling for Walleye here on Erie. I thought I caught another a few weeks later only to be told it was a Coho. Look at the lips boy, the lips.

The Coho was better eating I bet, and a better fight than the Walleye.

Edited by Fish Farmer

Walleye fight? I get more of a fight from the Dipsy. But they are my favorite eaters. I did eat the Rainbow, stuffed on the BBQ but not the salmon. I should keep one if I'm lucky? Dragging worms out here is all about the eating.

The Coho is better eating than the Rainbow , at least to me.

Ha ha ha Shak, this is a great topic! I went over to my steelhead fishing rod selection from back in the day and found my old 12'6" St. Croix UL that was rated for 2lb to 6lb line. Man, what a whip!

But I bested some real beauty Bows with it, including a few fresh river salmon. The 'C' arc it formed fighting a fish is a classic 80s image you don't see on the rivers anymore.

Edited by Mike Pike

Ha ha ha Shak, this is a great topic! I went over to my steelhead fishing rod selection from back in the day and found my old St. Croix 12'6" St. Croix UL that was rate for 2lb to 6lb line. Man, what a whip!

But I bested some real beauty Bows with it, including a few fresh river salmon. The 'C' arc it formed fighting a fish is a classic 80s image you don't see on the rivers anymore.

That thing was a telephone pole compared to my 14' Lews!!!

I could set the hook as hard as I could using 1# leader and not snap off!!! :lol:

OK since we are going down memory lane, how about Dick Swan, the guy that invented the noodle rod? I fished with Dick, and John Slade, on the Saugeen one day back in the '80s. John was something of a legend in his own right, but here he was, just hanging off every word that Dick spoke. Afterwards, John said to me, "That guy is the father of salmon fishing." By which he meant Great Lakes salmon of course. In those years, Dick would attend the Toronto Sportsmen's Show for at least a few days (maybe the whole time?) and talk to anybody that wanted to listen about noodle rods for salmon and trout. What a gentleman he was!

And yeah, his rods would sure make that Big C.................... :canadian:

Doug

Mike,

Could you beat the old lady on HWY-7 & Keele?

I once had a friendly competition with her ...

She was able to consistently tie 7 dozens in a hour in front of I ... over my 4 dozens ..

Someone was laughing at the counter ... what a shame.

Ahh, that was a fun experience

That would be Tom's wife, nice lady, and yes a worthy adversary. :) I can tell you that when I'm working with loose mature roe like she ties I'm lightning fast. But can I beat her? Don't know.

She also wraps a rod pretty quickly too. As Tom said to me once "You go for coffee and come back - rod done!!!" :lol:

My 80's Lami blew up 5-6 times.

Bought a 10.5 Sage off Tom, what a great stick. I never liked the Lews or Swan rods. My buddy's had them. My 1st 13 was a premier Loomis and then the IM6.

After that 11-5 IMX I fished for years then broke 8 inches off top. It was the last rod I wrapped. Had Rolly redo and re position the guides, still a great stick.

Now I have a 13 and 11:5 St Crox Wild River. Very serviceable sticks.

So the Lami and the Sage are the only ones not in service today after 40 years. And I could fix the Sage.