Do steelheaders still tie spawn bags?

akaShag

Once upon a time, long ago, I was a devoted steelheader. This time of the year I would be up to my jewels in some half-frozen river or river-mouth, trying to find some fresh silver.

Then I took up bow-hunting.

Then I had three sons, and a very busy career.

Then I got older and have a creaky back, knocky knees, etc, and wading the fall waters are probably in my rear view mirror.

So I was making some space in the basement for "stuff" and found a box of my old steelhead stuff, including a bunch of yarn, roe bag mesh, one of those roe bag tiers, etc etc. Does anybody still use this stuff?

Somewhere I know I have about a thousand Eagle Claw #42 hooks, sizes 6 through 12 or maybe smaller, some Mustad 9555s (If memory serves me), floats, split shot, etc etc. Same question, do steelheaders still tie on hooks, or has the sport metastasized into something I would not recognize if I slipped on my old vest and waders ?

Just curious. Stuff like this keeps older men awake at night. :whistling:

Doug

Im an old school steelheader too, Doug. I have schooled many of the new fandangled "steelheaders" doing things the tried and true ways. Ive even done it with a spinning reel haha.....

S.

The so-called "float reels" were just a new thing when I last drifted a roe bag or Michigan wiggler. Now I hear that practically everybody uses the centr-pins.

I still have a bunch of old school steelehead gear too.

Tying machine, mesh, floaties fer pier fishin' on bottom, an old Cardinal 4 and a pile of thos Style 42 Eagle Claw hooks. :D

A Cardinal 4! I never did get my hands on one of the originals. I did buy a Daiwa "Whisker" reel when they were first imported. The box had only Japanese characters on it, no English or French, and it cost a very princely sum at the time. But what an awesomely smooth drag!!!

I still use a Spawnee, I've actually got two of them :)

Yup, I have the same as well. I tried that orange plastic one, I keep it in the truck for emergency use, along with scarf and floater beads. Never know when the egg sinker/floating bag, might be the ticket.

I bought one of those Cardinal 3,s ( the black ones) when they first came out. They were the must have spinning reel back in the early 80.s. I bought mine from K-Mart in Brampton. I since then,have three of them and spare spools. Never use the dang things anymore.LOL

I did buy a Daiwa "Whisker" reel when they were first imported.

I have one of those Doug. I use it for chucking baits ( spinners,flatfish and kwic fish)

Eagle claw 42s are a great hook, especially for failing eyes as the hook eye is larger then most and threading line through the eye is easier,

Also still use a retro green and silver 1810s just for fun when I want a change from the CP

And tied a Raven RV9 with the old Pucci guides that were very light weight and fairly common in the late 70s and early 80s till the small shop in Italy went out of business, they were double foot guides

Yup, I have the same as well. I tried that orange plastic one, I keep it in the truck for emergency use, along with scarf and floater beads. Never know when the egg sinker/floating bag, might be the ticket.

I bought one of those Cardinal 3,s ( the black ones) when they first came out. They were the must have spinning reel back in the early 80.s. I bought mine from K-Mart in Brampton. I since then,have three of them and spare spools. Never use the dang things anymore.LOL

I have one of those Doug. I use it for chucking baits ( spinners,flatfish and kwic fish)

I'm still using my C4 from the 80's. I just love the drag on those old puppies!! Especially when a 30 lb Chinook feels like taking you for a run or two!!....

Brian, if you're ever thinking of selling that C3 of yours..... Definitely PM me.

A hand held spawn bagger like the old spawnee will be on the market soon.

I sold my Cardinals thru Gail and Albert at the Rainbow Café. Nice $960 to ship that crap. Bail would only close with handle making them loud, drags about every 3 months and heavy.

The Diawa Whisker I bought 30 years later still going.

Eagle Claw style 42 still catch fish but theirs 5 better hooks now.

I also went thru the center pin phase and retired them, to cold, lousy hand position and only do 1 thing well.

Well duh! Of course I still tie roe! As much as I enjoy fishing artificials roe will still often times out fish anything. I take my roe tying pretty seriously actually. When done correctly they are the equivalent of a Belgium Truffle to the fish - irresistible!

Yes I still use a Spawnee tyer, and I am FAST. I've won more than one bet with guys tying roe by hand head to head. :)

Brian, the Spawnee tyer is not the orange plastic thing, those things are useless. This is a Spawnee tyer (minus the roll of mesh attached at the side, no one uses that)

th.jpg

I still have a bunch of old school steelehead gear too.

Tying machine, mesh, :D

Too bad you didn't bring it with you to Ontario putz. You know how much I HATE tying roe for you????? :lol:

At Erindale Park these days, a lot of guys opt for something witha treble hook.

:w00t::rofl2:

Saw that years ago in Streetsville.

Man, some of you guys are showing your age. :D

Wonder Spiel don't chime in here, he keeps trying to show those new style Clothe Line Reels :w00t: .

When you think of it, they make way better spinning reels today. I laugh now when I though I had the best reel, Mitchell 300 :D Spool broke putting the line on too tight.

As Archie says, "Those where the Days" :good::)

Well duh! Of course I still tie roe! As much as I enjoy fishing artificials roe will still often times out fish anything. I take my roe tying pretty seriously actually. When done correctly they are the equivalent of a Belgium Truffle to the fish - irresistible!

Yes I still use a Spawnee tyer, and I am FAST. I've won more than one bet with guys tying roe by hand head to head. :)

Brian, the Spawnee tyer is not the orange plastic thing, those things are useless. This is a Spawnee tyer (minus the roll of mesh attached at the side, no one uses that)

th.jpg

Too bad you didn't bring it with you to Ontario putz. You know how much I HATE tying roe for you????? :lol:

I have the same machine Mike, sure would like to see how you tie eggs, I think I still have that egg slime, thread and material stuck to my fingers. :D

I was tying roe bags in the back of my camper one time down at the mouth of a well-known Ontario river, and having a few wobbly pops with my buddy. We had enjoyed a good day on the river and were going to catch up on our beauty rest before we hit the water again before daybreak. So we had some PBJ sandwiches for a quick meal, then I noticed some leftover jam on the table and licked it up. It was actually salmon roe slime off some skein. BLEAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Had to rinse out my mouth with firewater afterwards to get rid of that taste..............

Doug

I was tying roe bags in the back of my camper one time down at the mouth of a well-known Ontario river, and having a few wobbly pops with my buddy. We had enjoyed a good day on the river and were going to catch up on our beauty rest before we hit the water again before daybreak. So we had some PBJ sandwiches for a quick meal, then I noticed some leftover jam on the table and licked it up. It was actually salmon roe slime off some skein. BLEAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Had to rinse out my mouth with firewater afterwards to get rid of that taste..............

Doug

You owe me a new keyboard, coffee all over it. :D

Now that is funny :rofl2:

You owe me a new keyboard, coffee all over it. :D

Now that is funny :rofl2:

Yes, looking back now I can smile. And my buddy just about had a heart attack he was laughing so hard. But I reckon you could use salmon skein slime in place of syrup of ipecac as an emetic.................I pretty near hurled right then and there.

Used to fish sea run steelhead in BC in the early 70's. Had a Vogg rod and a Dam Quick 330 spinning reel. Never tied row bags. Used to salt salmon row to a consistency where you cut pieces off and packed it in a ball around the hook. It used to "milk" beautifully and was deadly on Steelies, Dolly Vardon and cutthroat trout. Nothing fancy. A pocket full of hooks and split shot and off we went. Still have that reel. Also had a Mitchell reel. Hated it and whenever I went to use it the line had crushed the spool. Still got that reel too less spool.

Oh yeah, and I still have a handful of those hooks left

Edited by Lunker Larry

yes I know Mike. I have the one you posted. The orange one like I said, is in the truck for emergency .LOL