NF - Beer Lovers... Need help

jedimaster

Ok so there is this beer I used to drink in BC, its called Hoyne Off the Grid. I know they don't sell it here. Its so unfortunate as it truly is the best beer I have ever had. Its classed as a red pilsner. Caramel in color and has is hoppier than most pilsners a bit thick tasting and has a slightly sweet not fruity flavor.

Here is a link to the place that makes it.

http://hoynebrewing.ca/#beers

Click on Off the grid to get its details. Does anyone have any ideas of any Ontario beers that would be similar... I bought a few at the beer store today will try them out tonight.

Oh and if you ever go to BC make sure you try this beer and bring me back a case or two. haha

I think beer should be illegal with liquor and all tobacco products. Don't you know the devastation caused by all these products?

Everyone's entitled to an opinion - and to express that opinion. Just as disagreeing is also entitled. Not sure where you might want to go with this considering the context of the op's question and what you are offering in reply. It sure doesn't seem to have any bearing on what the subject is about.

Michael

Everyone's entitled to an opinion - and to express that opinion. Just as disagreeing is also entitled. Not sure where you might want to go with this considering the context of the op's question and what you are offering in reply. It sure doesn't seem to have any bearing on what the subject is about.

Michael

*LIKE*

I'm in my 80s - drank a lot of different beers in different places in my life time - but I'll tell you something - the beer that I consider the best is made right here in Pa. - its from the oldest brewery in the U.S. - at one time they advertised it as the oldest brewery in North American but had to stop because some Canadian brewery had that honor - its Yuengling lager - the brewery is in a small town called Pottsville - at one time the brewery started sending it to other parts of the country but this created a shortage locally - this almost caused a riot - so if you ever happen to travel down this way make sure you try this brew - especially if you can get it on tap - here's to you -

To the guy who considers drinking beer as a bad thing - let me say this - having a few beers causes no harm - its like everything else - when you over do it then it can cause harm - you can say that with eating. sleeping, and everything else we do - I especially enjoy a nice cold beer in the summer after I worked hard all day -

A red Pilsner? Don't think I've seen any here.

Goose island brewery has a "honkers ale" which may be in the ballpark.

I was actually gonna rec the same thing. It's classified more as a bitter I believe and doesn't quite have the sharp bite of a true pilsner but its a very easy drinking, fruity malt ale. Probably the closest thing I can think of. The Creemore Pilsner might also be worth trying.

I'm in my 80s - drank a lot of different beers in different places in my life time - but I'll tell you something - the beer that I consider the best is made right here in Pa. - its from the oldest brewery in the U.S. - at one time they advertised it as the oldest brewery in North American but had to stop because some Canadian brewery had that honor - its Yuengling lager - the brewery is in a small town called Pottsville - at one time the brewery started sending it to other parts of the country but this created a shortage locally - this almost caused a riot - so if you ever happen to travel down this way make sure you try this brew - especially if you can get it on tap - here's to you -

To the guy who considers drinking beer as a bad thing - let me say this - having a few beers causes no harm - its like everything else - when you over do it then it can cause harm - you can say that with eating. sleeping, and everything else we do - I especially enjoy a nice cold beer in the summer after I worked hard all day -

Yuengling is fantastic, I bring back generally 2 or more 24's every time I visit the US, wish we could get it here in Canada

I can take it. A bit of a hijack but its all good. The three crafts I bought were all ok, but not close in taste to the BC one. I think I am going to go back to BC in the next month I will need to bring some back with me. A beer tasting party seems like a great idea.

Down Town Brown - Was ok, a bit too bitter for my liking but nice texture

Mill Street Organic - Was actually nice but nothing like what I was looking for.

Mill street 100th meridian - The best of the three but too thin in texture and more smokey than the flavour I was looking for

Jedimaster: if ur in the downtown Toronto area, Amsterdam Brewhouse might have something that you're looking for, especially some of their seasonal beers. They have 4 different beer flights for $8 (4 x 5oz tasters) available. Such a great idea and considering it's right in the DT core, $8 is def not heavy on the wallet.

There are quite a few craft breweries located near the Toronto area that it's hard to keep track. I'm sure it took lots of trial and error to find that beer in BC, but think of the adventure trying the many different beers to sample some very terrific brews. It's certainly all part of the adventure.

GL!

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

I will add a couple to the list to try.

My draft of choice in Ontario and readily available, is Rickards Red. (Fills the need)

My number 1 choice in BC is Black Tusk. Had it in the airport the first time, best as a draft, but comes in a 500ml bottle too. Not cheap, but well worth it, IMO. (Available at Provincial Liquor stores)

Yeungling Dark is excellent, as is Killians Red, in the US.

But my Favourite US beer, draft or bottle is Michelob Amberbock. $13 for a dozen at Tops in NY or Publix

in Florida. (A couple of my favourite seafood restaurants down here in Florida have it on tap)

Every trip to the US (at least twice a week), a dozen come home with me. Never a hassle at the border.