Planning a road trip

HTHM

In the early part of June, we are planning to drive from Hamilton to Vancouver. One leg will be through Canada, the other through the US. That is set in stone, I know it is more efficient to go through the US both ways, but we want to see Canada as well. The question I have is Canada there US back or US there and Canada back?

Last August/September my dad and I drove from Toronto to Vancouver (Canada on the way) and through the US on the return trip. If you'd like to see most of Canada, the mountains are a beautiful sight to see after driving hours through wheat and Canola fields.LOL

My father hitch-hiked and rode a motorcycle Ontario to B.C. Would always tell me that Ottawa to Winnipeg and along the Superior route is nice, but then skip Winnipeg to nearing Calgary if you can. But, you gotta drive in towards the Rockies from the Praries to appreciate them most.

Edited by Moosebunk

My father hitch-hiked and rode a motorcycle Ontario to B.C. Would always tell me that Ottawa to Winnipeg and along the Superior route is nice, but then skip Winnipeg to nearing Calgary if you can. But, you gotta drive in towards the Rockies from the Praries to appreciate them most.

Agreed with this. As someone who drove to Edmonton and back to move there, along the Superior coast in Ontario is magestic. Worth seeing for sure. Thunder Bay to Winnipeg is long but it has it's spots.

From Winnipeg if you can take the Yellowhead highway to Esmonton, go for it. If you take highway 1 to Calgary, you will see the curvature of the earth for 18 hours and nothing else.

If you take highway 1 to Calgary, you will see the curvature of the earth for 18 hours and nothing else.

My brother drove across the Prairies years ago and said it was so flat you could see the sunrise & sunset at the same time :lol:

A few years ago we did that drive in 24 days. At Winnipeg we took the Yellowhead highway up to Prince Rupert passing through Jasper. At Prince Rupert we took the ferry to Vancouver island then drove back through Banff and across Highway 1. This way we got to see more of Canada off the beaten track of Highway 1.

I drove to Calgary thru Canada and came back thru the States. I did enjoy the trip thru Canada as people will tell you there is nothing to see but you will find things of interest and thru the States was really boring as I was expecting more. Montana is a big state with big sky and nothing much else. Gas is cheaper but I'm glad I drove thru Canada

Leah and I did a month in the motorhome 2004, out through Canada... dropping down in Alberta to a National Park on the Can / US border that I forget the name of and then weaved through every road on out to Vancouver. Took the ferry (with the towed vehicle) to Vancouver Island.. spent the day out there and ferried back. Then went into Washington State, up over the Powder Mountain Pass and worked our way East... including Yellowstone National Park etc. Worked our way across the neat coloured landscapes of Montana, then North Dakota, MN and at Deluth headed back into Canada via Thunderbay to spend 4 days in my favourite Ontario PPark, Fushimi, then Temagami and home. Not sure how well it would have worked without the motorhome to park for the night anywhere / time we wanted.

Sleeping giant in tbay is pretty cool.

Ive always used the yellowhead and if ya hit the praries during a lightning storm its absolutely gorgeous!

If you go on transcanada from tbay to winnipeg let me know. Maybe we can meet in souix narrows for lunch( only 20 mins outta your way)

It's a date!

If you do come back through the States... make sure you take in the Crazy Horse mountain rock carving. Much more spectacular IMHO than them Presidents on the hill that were never finished by a huge crew, Crazy Horse was one man's dream...

Crazy Horse isn't anywhere near being finished and they charge you to see it where Mount Rushmore was free and finished.

cross country canada trip is on my bucket list but probably not going to happen til 2017 :unsure: . Have done (eastern Canada) Toronto to Cape breton Nova Scotia and its well worth the trip!

There may be a slight saving in terms of driving hours and gas cost going through US but in the end for those who are going through US to save time and gas money, I would take into consideration things like potentially not having cell service, something going wrong with the car and canadian road side assistance of no help there, border crossing etc. In terms of comfort, and peace of mind, and Timmies :good: , I would stick to Canada but that is just me.

Edited by huzzsaba

Back to the question of which direction to take first. I would go through the US first. If there's any hiccups crossing the border you will know right away. If you then acquire anything while out west, there's no hassle of then keeping all your receipts as proof of having bought or received items in Canada, crossing into the US and then coming back into Canada. Catch my drift. Your choice, I had some 'splainin to do once, but I had all my receipts as proof. I did the trip from Manitoba back and forth a number of times. I found the leg from SSt Marie to Fargo was okay, west of there, a flatlanders dream. Tie up the steering wheel, lay a brick on the gas pedal and you can pretty much nap all the way. Coffee sucks, doesn't matter which gas/truck stop you hit.

I did the drive from Toronto to Vernon this past summer. Best trip I've ever done!! I had never been west of Winnipeg and I flew there. Manitoba was boring and the 1.5 hour stretch from Saskatchewan border to Brooks Alberta was absolutely the most flat and boring, everything else was spectacular. Saskatchewan was amazing!! You absolutely have to go to Cypress Hills Provincial Park in southern Sask, the highest point in the province, about 1100m if I recall. The view is unbelievable....well worth the side trip off the Trans-Canada.

I have other suggestions if you want.....pm or on this thread.

Can't help you with your question as I flew back. Enjoy. A trip that everyone should do.....no question. Be safe and have fun.

I've never been further west than Thunder Bay, except my flights to Fort McMurray. The drive from Niagara up to Sudbury is a nice drive (except Toronto). Heading west from Sudbury to the Soo is mundane, but north of SS Marie is awesome! Hills, curves, scenic lookouts viewing Lake superior is fantastic! I just returned from White River this past Monday. Scenery is fabulous! Have fun during your adventure.

In 2004 I drove out there through the states on the way there it was pretty cool going through Wisconsin and through the badlands in North Dakota and into Montana but then we went north into Lethbridge Alberta and drove the crows nest pass into BC Man is BC a beautiful province I would just strongly suggest not driving at night there because there is an elk everywhere on most of the roads and then we came back through Canada I would suggest going A different way each time both are pretty cool and I seen a lot