An early and most unexpected Christmas present

HTHM

Everyone, this is Holly. She is a border collie / lab cross with a very gentle disposition, absolutely loves to cuddle.

My intent is to train her with a clicker as I have had very good success with that method in the past.

Eight weeks old currently.

IMG_0752_zpsrijinzo8.jpg

Cute pup! Please explain clicker training? Here I thought I knew everything! LOL!

every trainer has a slightly different method, but most are fairly parallel to each other, this is a straight copy and paste from Karen pryor's website, I really liked her book and would definitely recommend her techniques (I like her brand of clickers too)

Why is clicker training effective?

When an animal intentionally performs a behavior in order to bring about a desired consequence, as clicker trained animals do, they are learning in a way that researchers call "operant conditioning."

Animals (and people) may also associate an action, event, place, person, or object with a consequence, whether pleasant or unpleasant. The more a certain event or environment is paired with a particular consequence, the stronger the association. This type of learning is called "classical conditioning" and represents reflexive or automatic behavior, rather than intentional behavior.

While clicker training initially employs classical conditioning, it quickly becomes operant conditioning as soon as the animal intentionally repeats an action in order to earn a reward. Training through operant conditioning results in purposeful behavior, while training through classical conditioning results in habitual behavior.

The difference between an animal that behaves with purpose, rather than by habit, is vast. Clicker trained or operantly conditioned animals try to learn new behaviors. They remember behaviors even years later because they were aware of them as they learned them, rather than acquiring them without awareness. They develop confidence because they have control over the consequences of their actions. They are enthusiastic because they expect those consequences to be pleasurable.

http://www.clickertraining.com/what_is_clicker_training

used a lot of different methods with my dogs, and very happy with the outcome, clicker training, hand signals, whistles and voice commands...dogs truly want to please their master and the motto of man's best friend is definitely well earned

I've always had labs, but have wondered about lab/collie crosses, two amazing breeds, would love to see an update down the road, congrats on Holly once again, such a cutie

Well training started today and she is a natural. Sit, come, sit at my right when arriving, all for the cost of one hotdog. Right now she is adjusting to her crate and singing me the song of her people. I am heartsick listening to it, but it has to be done. A towel over the top of the crate appears to have helped. Maybe I will sleep tonight....