Any innovative tips on rod/gear storage?

Shloim

Ok so I took 1 last unsuccessful kick at the can Saturday before making plans to winterize the boat. It was a gorgeous day but the fishing was super slow. Anyway while I was out trying another friend posted the gear cleanup he did. Well my stuff is such a mess and everywhere Im looking for suggestions on unique ways people store their stuff for the winter, wall space is a bit of a commodity and my rods out number the available wall space by far... Lets see your set ups and hear some tips

I have a hip roof on my garage that houses my boat. Above the boat are two large shelf spaces that span the complete width of the garage in the front and to the rear of the garage. Between these huge attic spaces it is open where I can stand up when the boat is in the garage and literally pick and choose what fishing gear I need for the next fishing trip if it's not already in the boat.

In the front attic shelf space is my heavier gear like downriggers, cannon balls extra tackle boxes, etc.....

In the rear attic shelf space is my lighter stuff which is mostly rods and reel and related gear.

I have used this system for over 30+ years and it works great. I get in the boat the day before I'm going fishing and in my mind I go over the equipment need to fish that day and see if it's already in the boat or needs to be selected from my above storage space which is all within reach while I'm standing in the boat.

I would guess these 2 storage spaces are 12' wide by at least 8' deep EACH. Holds a lot of stuff....some that should be discarded but you all know how that works.... :)

Sorry no pictures at this time.

I deliberately looked for an unfinished basement, so that's my 800 sq ft storage room, as well as half of the kitchen table that I don't require for eating lol

when I lived in a condo I hung 8' pvc pipes bolted to 2x4's and hung them from the ceiling, that kept my rods safe...one side was fixed, the other side hung on hooks so I could easily swing them down and take rods in/out....everything else was stored in big Tupperware boxes

All my rods are hung up on wood brackets I've made that I've screwed to the joists in the furnace room. Out of the way, off the floor, not going to step on them, etc.. Got a nice little desk down there for tying roe, organizing tackle.. Mini man cave :)

Tried uploading a pic I took when I made mine a few years ago, but doesn't seem to work. Anyways I grabbed four fence boards and drilled 3 inch wide holes in each of them. About ten holes in each board. Used two boards for my regular rods and reels I use in spring, summer, and fall. Used the last two for my ice fishing rods. Attach them to floor joist. Shouldn't cost basically nothing that's why its pretty sweet.

This year I had a boat with a rod locker for the first time in years. With the exception of downrigger rods, my rods lived in the locker all year. I just drilled out the rod holders that where inside the locker and removed them so I could store more. For winter, in this house and my last 2 houses , I've mounted a couple of 2x2's across the top of the garage door, high enough so that rods can't be damaged, and I just put them above the garage door out of the way.

I went to Home Hardware and got a couple of mop and broom rack holders. Had my bud who owns an auto upholstery business glue foam pads onto the holders. I have 4 of them in a closet. 2 where I had a slot hole cut in the bottom plywood on one side for the 10 ft plus rods and two along the back wall for the shorter rods that will fit under the shelf. Each holder has 5 clips in a ten inch length. Total cost was 18 bucks plus tax....

I also have on all the long rods the reels in cloth bags that came with my Pflueger Presidents and float reels. So there are no handles poking out catching the lines on the other reels. After almost 10 yrs haven't had a scratch on a rod or snagged reel for having so many rods packed so closely together.

I would take a picture but can't get enough light in the closet to get a good one.... even with a flash. I have tried. All did the same setup for my dad when he moved into an apartment and 3 other fishermen in my building have copied the setup.

Edited by Canuck2fan

I can't help with the rod storage as mine are standing in three different corners...(1 in my bedroom and 2 in my garage)...

The only tip is to back-off the drags on all your reels to avoid having them seize-up...