Niagara River & Niagara Bar - what do I need???

KraTToR

My first time going after trout (from a boat) this time of year and an earlier recommendation from a OFC member is to go after trout on the lower Niagara river...

I've done some research but I would like to hear it from the xperts!

• Launch location (coming from Kitchener)
  • Where to fish
  • What to use and how to use it.

I would really like to put some trout in the boat for the smoker...m,mmmm smoked trout at christmas. Maybe that will get me back into the Mrs's good books?? Time will tell..lol

This will be my last boat trip until the spring so I'd like to finish on a positive note..

:santa: :santa: :santa:

TIA!

Thanks In Advance!

Far from an expert here, but it's pretty straight forward. Launch out of Queenston. I've done well on the bar just drifting using a 1oz sinker tied on a 3-way rig. We used 3-4" shiners and had a blast catching Lakers on fairly light tackle. Keeping your line vertical by using a trolling motor helps but it's not critical, at least on the bar. The river is another story as currents and eddies will spin your boat around.

The best drifts in the river are U.S. Side. U can get a one day license online for $15. Launch at queenston and fish right there in the back eddy, drifting upstream, on CDn side or cut upstream at 45* angle and fish the artpark Drift on US side. Follow the crowd. 1 oz lead on a three way setup with 6' of leader to your bait. Use your TM to chase your line and stay vertical. Don't get too tight to shore till u get comfy. I try to keep an eye on depth and glide my lead just over bottom. I find this helps feel bites which are usually subtle dead weight. The constant tap of bottom makes it hard to decipher bottom from fish.

It ain't rocket science. I usually do well there. However, whenever i see Paul Castellano there he humbles me by at least doubling my numbers.

I agree on getting a NYS fishing license, at least the one day license and see how you like the river. With both licenses you have better options on where you might fish depending on wind. Queenston launch is your best option. I haven't fished the lower river in some time but I would think at this time of the year Quick Fish lures might be your best option. Use a med heavy spinning rod with 10-12# mono line and a 3 way with the one once sinker on only 6# test line. Be prepared for many snags at first. Watch others and don't be afraid to join them, however always give other anglers lots of space between your boat and theirs. No need to crowd them even though your drifting the same drifts.

The bar is a LONG ride down river.......If I were you I would skip that drift for another day and for now just learn the drifts near the launch on both sides of the river.

DRESS WARM as if you were going ice fishing.

Good Luck and have FUN ! ! !

For a first trip, I would stay on the Canadian side so you don't have to bother to get a NY licence, PITA.

I would head straight to the bar. If you want to keep it simple, 3/4 oz jig head with 4" white twister tail. Big lakers (check the seasons) galore and the odd brown and bow. Pipe line drift is good too.

Check the conditions before you make the trip. I remember one winter, there was only 2 fishable days all winter.

Like Pierre mentioned, even if the consumption guide says it's ok, I wouldn't eat anything from there. JMO.

For a first trip, I would stay on the Canadian side so you don't have to bother to get a NY licence, PITA.

I would head straight to the bar. If you want to keep it simple, 3/4 oz jig head with 4" white twister tail. Big lakers (check the seasons) galore and the odd brown and bow. Pipe line drift is good too.

Check the conditions before you make the trip. I remember one winter, there was only 2 fishable days all winter.

Like Pierre mentioned, even if the consumption guide says it's ok, I wouldn't eat anything from there. JMO.

A few questions if you don't mind Chris:

• Why is the NY license a PITA?
  • Conditions? What should I be looking for? Are you talking wind and temp or something else like rainfall?
  • What/where is the pipeline drift?

TIA!

As far as getting there goes,,after the skyway in St Catherine's on the qew turn off on Glendale North

2nd Glendale exit,,turn right go to tstop turn right again go through St David you will hit queenton in about 5 min.turn left at stop sign go two blocks turn right at the end of the road is the pothole filled gravel Rd down to the launch,,,,bring salt and sand as the ramp can be icy after the trailers are pulled out

Right in front of launch is the queenton backdraft,,,,which loves to eat tackle

Try the pump house drift 10 min downstream ,,there is a little house that looks like an outhouse on the can side,,,much slowere and a good place to start if you are new to the river ,,eggsacs,minnows,kwikfish will all work fished on a 3way rig

The key is the trolling motor,,,takes some practice to the line vertical with the current and wind

Best advice is Don't drag the bottom

Once you get onto it you will be amazed at how good a fishery it is

I'm headin down Sunday myself

Good luck

• Conditions? What should I be looking for? Are you talking wind and temp or something else like rainfall?

TIA!

I'm not sure why Chris thinks getting a NYS license is a PITA......at least not anymore since one can be had via the internet in minutes.

Conditions on the lower river are just as important if not more then anywhere else......high north winds...STAY HOME....also if there have been a lot of heavy winds on Lake Erie for a while just before your trip will muddy up the river and kill the bite.

Other things you mentioned like rain or snow means just about nothing other then comfort problems for the anglers aboard.

As far as getting there goes,,after the skyway in St Catherine's on the qew turn off on Glendale North

2nd Glendale exit,,turn right go to tstop turn right again go through St David you will hit queenton in about 5 min.turn left at stop sign go two blocks turn right at the end of the road is the pothole filled gravel Rd down to the launch,,,,bring salt and sand as the ramp can be icy after the trailers are pulled out

Try the pump house drift 10 min downstream ,,there is a little house that looks like an outhouse on the can side,,,much slowere and a good place to start if you are new to the river ,,eggsacs,minnows,kwikfish will all work fished on a 3way rig

The key is the trolling motor,,,takes some practice to the line vertical with the current and wind

Good luck

image.jpg

Good luck

image.jpg

TIA!

I'm likely dating myself, but we would have to get up super early, drive across the border, buy the NY licence, then come back and fish. If it's available online now, not much of a pita.

Water clarity. If you want to fish the bar, wind strength and direction.

Pipeline = pumphouse drift, see Bob above

I would head straight to the bar because it's less technical and can be crazy good. I remember some days, 3 guys in the boat, with lots of triple headers of lakers all over 8 lbs, up to 15 lbs. And we just used heavy jigs, white twister tails. No shiners or slinkies or 3 way rigs.

State license is easy. Can be had online in no time. The first time you set it up, you will have a bit of trouble with setup as a non resident. Make sure you save your D.E.C.A.L.S number and it will make subsequent purchases a snap. I always get a state license when fishing border waters. There is nothing worse than watching guys across the line poking fish when your in a slow drift. Have fun!

Most of these guys are talking about fishing the drifts up in the river.. Fish the bar at the mouth, it's simple and painless. I wouldn't bother trying to fish the runs near ArtPark if you've never done it before or you don't have someone experienced in the boat with you. That river is no place to screw around.

To fish the Niagara River US side, FLOAT SUIT is mandatory from Dec to April month. A friend , who fish the area, said fishing US side seemed more productive. It only cost US$10 per day for NY fishing license , can be applied via on line application, the DEC NY drop the fishing license rate last year. Yearly fishing license cost US$50 for non NY residence. The Devils hole area can get busy, by not buying the US license, one might not have spot fishing the CA side.

One of my friend fish it all winter long, he said the toughest to do is boat control and to slow down the boat drift, one need a powerful trolling motor, so the lead weight will sit as vertically as possible to avoid less hang ups, Without a strong trolling motor, boat will just drift very fast off the Devils hole. He used three way swivel with kwikfish as bait. He said hang ups cannot be avoided. But he seldom loses the kwikfish lures, only the lead weight.

Aaron Shirley has some Youtube fishing episode where he drift fish in front of Queenston boat launch area, ..........if Devils hole gets way too busy.

Also check satellite imagery for water clarity - It is cloudy today Dec 1 as shown on the website, the clouds blocked the view by chance, but on previous days image, you can visualize the water clarity on Niagara River. In between lake Erie and Lake Ontario is Niagara river, so far water has not been clear for a while now, it can be tougher to fish it at times. But based on shore fishing report, some fish were sporadically being landed at the lower river. A SW wind will also cause lake Erie to get murky due to lake Erie being shallower compared to Lake Ontario. Once Lake Erie freezes over, water at lower river will be clearer most of the time. http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.php?region=e&page=1

Edited by bassfighter

To fish the Niagara River US side, FLOAT SUIT is mandatory from Dec to April month. A friend , who fish the area, said fishing US side seemed more productive. It only cost US$10 per day for NY fishing license , can be applied via on line application, the DEC NY drop the fishing license rate last year. Yearly fishing license cost US$50 for non NY residence. The Devils hole area can get busy, by not buying the US license, one might not have spot fishing the CA side.

One of my friend fish it all winter long, he said the toughest to do is boat control and to slow down the boat drift, one need a powerful trolling motor, so the lead weight will sit as vertically as possible to avoid less hang ups, Without a strong trolling motor, boat will just drift very fast off the Devils hole. He used three way swivel with kwikfish as bait. He said hang ups cannot be avoided. But he seldom loses the kwikfish lures, only the lead weight.

Aaron Shirley has some Youtube fishing episode where he drift fish in front of Queenston boat launch area, ..........if Devils hole gets way too busy.

Also check satellite imagery for water clarity - It is cloudy today Dec 1 as shown on the website, the clouds blocked the view by chance, but on previous days image, you can visualize the water clarity on Niagara River. In between lake Erie and Lake Ontario is Niagara river, so far water has not been clear for a while now, it can be tougher to fish it at times. But based on shore fishing report, some fish were sporadically being landed at the lower river. A SW wind will also cause lake Erie to get murky due to lake Erie being shallower compared to Lake Ontario. Once Lake Erie freezes over, water at lower river will be clearer most of the time. http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.php?region=e&page=1

Evidently you have never fished the lower Niagara River and maybe should not be giving advise on something you know little or nothing about. Now your friend might have some good incite on the lower river.

First a float suit is NOT mandatory on the NYS side, but rather you must wear a life jacket whenever the boat is under power from November 1st to May 1st.

Devils Hole area can get BUSY at times but I would not even suggest anyone who has never fished the lower river to even try that area as it can be intimidating at times and down right dangerous just getting up there.

I have fished many areas of the lower river without ever using my trolling motor......most times it really is not necessary depending on the wind of the day. Not having a TM should not discourage anyone from fishing the lower river.

I would not depend on satellite images to determine the water clarity of the lower river......as I said once before, the winds leading up to the day of your trip is what I would go by. Most guys that plan a trip leave before the sun is up and the satellite images at night are useless. And if it's a heavy north wind, just stay home because you cannot drift a northern flow river with northern wind. Not good drifting up river while you line is floating down river......talk about SNAGS ! ! !

A normal SW wind on Lake Erie will not effect your trip.....however, heavy winds for a day or two prior to your trip might kill the bite on the lower river.

You are correct about once Lake Erie freezes over the bite gets better because now you have constant clear waters to fish.

BTW for those recommending fishing the Niagara Bar rather then drifting the river.........that's OK and could be very good advise, however you will probably just catch lake trout on the bar that are not in season right now........but up the river near the launch are great drifts that will get you brown trout, some lakers and the most sought after fish....the STEELHEAD ! ! ! ..... now you're talking some fun action.

Lakers are open now in CDn side.

Go easy on the guy Mr G. His advice was not so bad. He was just trying to help. No need to be rude.

I believe a TM is a necessity. It will also allow u to fish a north wind if you have to by moving you down wind with your bait. And Devils Hole is not a big deal to run or fish if you are cautious, follow others' lead, a good boater and good on the TM. (Watch out for the very big boulders at the head of that pool!!!!!!)

IF you do not have the skills - stay at artpark or Queenston or lower.

And I agree with everything u said. U took his C+ answer and made it an A with your extra info.