A SLAVE GUIDE'S STORY.

Moosebunk

Amazing Drew. It always takes me about 2 or 3 days before I can bring myself to read your posts….lol…my instant reaction is one of insane jealousy …even before I have clicked on your post. It takes a while for that feeling to pass, then I get over myself and just drown in the pure awesomeness you capture!

You have to invite me up there by the way.

Thanks for taking the time

love the pic of the kid struggling to cradle that beast!

Tyler asks his dad, “is Bunk gonna guide us all week?” Before Keith can answer Ty finishes, “cause I want him to.” It was an unforgettable and surreal day for me thanks to the both of them,

Sounds like a crazy experience. Way more interesting than just going to Plummer's as a guest.

My blood pressure was going up a bit reading about the snide remarks, jabs and butt holes. It rubbed me the wrong way, guys talking to Bunk like that.

Edited by chris.brock

Thanks for putting that together Bunk. Immense amount of work there, and a great "stranger in my own land" story. My name for the truck tire type is splinter. A small thing that gets under the skin and causes aggravation way beyond its true size. Eventually the poison they produce results in their rejection by the larger body.

I suspect that Tyler is one young man who will be telling Moosebunk stories around the campfire for a long time. Sharing and giving freely for other's enjoyment produces satisfactions unequaled through other activities. Good job - in more than one way.

I am curious did the 47 hold up ?

Any explanation on how the round circles on the rocks were formed?

They are stromatolites Al. And I guess those come in many forms depending where found. I'm wondering if this one deposit found on Slave was crushed flat by the building weight of glacial ice?

http://www.fossilmuseum.net/Tree_of_Life/Stromatolites.htm

Great report Drew!!! Your story brought back memories of my rookie year on the Bear back in the summer of '95.

Good times!!!

It's rare you'll chime in Dave, but I kinda had a feeling this report would hit home with you. ;) I will say, being a rookie it's understood that I would sit out before others, and Bob was actually great and accommodating to this as best he could be. That I am thankful for. And it's understood that I would have to learn the ropes and need the right direction to get things done, maybe working harder in the process to keep up too. Luckily there were many guides along the way that helped with that in a friendly manner... What's remains a question still, is that in a place I would consider paradise, all guides "choosing" to be there to work and guide, attending to happy guests who are hoping to enjoy some of the best times of their lives, and each day all of us being permitted to share, create and enjoy those experiences together, that, someone, anyone, would want to be miserable, or insulting, or pushy, intolerable, rude, or anything else negative for that matter. If being there makes one be like that, or if that's the way one simply wants to be, then to me it would seem they're not in it for any decent reason.

Although I was kindá hoping Truck Tire would have had a medical emergency and as a result have to express gratitude to you.

He has friends there. His reasons he chose not to be one with me and I'm fine with that.

With Plummer's Lodge being on my bucket list, I really appreciated your report and pictures Bunk. I too appreciated that your report included all aspects of being a rookie guide at Plummer's. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

Would love to see ya get there Tom. If there and you wanted, I'd guide you in a heartbeat too.

It always takes me about 2 or 3 days before I can bring myself to read your posts….lol…my instant reaction is one of insane jealousy

You have to invite me up there by the way.

love the pic of the kid struggling to cradle that beast!

Thanks Simon. You're invited!!!

Tyler was a champ by the end of the week, knock-out blow after K.O. he must have reeled in a hundred fish or more that week.

Sounds like a crazy experience. Way more interesting than just going to Plummer's as a guest.

My blood pressure was going up a bit reading about the snide remarks, jabs and butt holes. It rubbed me the wrong way, guys talking to Bunk like that.

Your blood pressure Chris... no way man,.? You're cool as a cucumber dood. Thanks for looking out though. :)

Guest or guide, both awesome memories either way.

What the hell do those lakers eat to get so fat?

Drifter nailed it. Saw a couple big fish eyeballing from below, the struggles smaller lakers would have coming in on the line. Looking up at 'em like a hungry dog at the dinner table.

Sharing and giving freely for other's enjoyment produces satisfactions unequaled through other activities. Good job - in more than one way.

I am curious did the 47 hold up ?

Not sure what was caught after leaving? There was another 50'ish pounder caught. Real long and muscular looking, not as short and slobby as The Viking's laker. Quality to be had from all the guides though. The number of 20 to 40 pounders caught weekly is incredible.

It's rare you'll chime in Dave, but I kinda had a feeling this report would hit home with you. ;) I will say, being a rookie it's understood that I would sit out before others, and Bob was actually great and accommodating to this as best he could be. That I am thankful for. And it's understood that I would have to learn the ropes and need the right direction to get things done, maybe working harder in the process to keep up too. Luckily there were many guides along the way that helped with that in a friendly manner... What's remains a question still, is that in a place I would consider paradise, all guides "choosing" to be there to work and guide, attending to happy guests who are hoping to enjoy some of the best times of their lives, and each day all of us being permitted to share, create and enjoy those experiences together, that, someone, anyone, would want to be miserable, or insulting, or pushy, intolerable, rude, or anything else negative for that matter. If being there makes one be like that, or if that's the way one simply wants to be, then to me it would seem they're not in it for any decent reason.

We have a way to deal with people like that Bunk.

All you will need is a 5 gallon pail filled with sand.

When you're in camp and Truck Tire and his roomies aren't, dump the sand in TT's bed.

Make sure it's nicely spread out under the covers.

It will get the point across without having to duke it out usually. :D

You still may have to knock him on his :asshat: but there is no reason to put up with bull from some twat that shouldn't be there in the first place. It's obviously become a job for him and is no longer a passion.

I gave up guiding because of this. When it stops being what you live for it's time to give it up.

Took me 25 years before it became work so I had a pretty good run. :whistling:

Now I just want to fish for myself and my friends.

Going to head to Bear probably in 2017 to fish with one of my guide buddies at the main camp.

We're going to head out for a week of fishin', campin' and drinkin' near Bloody River. :good: :good: :good:

Edited by DRIFTER_016

What's remains a question still, is that in a place I would consider paradise, all guides "choosing" to be there to work and guide, attending to happy guests who are hoping to enjoy some of the best times of their lives, and each day all of us being permitted to share, create and enjoy those experiences together, that, someone, anyone, would want to be miserable, or insulting, or pushy, intolerable, rude, or anything else negative for that matter. If being there makes one be like that, or if that's the way one simply wants to be, then to me it would seem they're not in it for any decent reason.

I found it weird. I would have guessed most of the guides at a place like that would have been younger guys, with the tie that binds being an absolute obsession for the outdoors.

Smoking a cigarette, with your chest puffed out, strutting around, being a bully to try to hide insecurities, is high school stuff. Some guys never grow up. Ego is a hell of a drug too.

The fish story was great, but the social stuff made it an even greater read.

What an awesome account of another Bunk adventure.

I've said this before, your writing and photo's are second to none.

I loved the way you injected your definition of "guiding" and your take on nasty people that we have deal with once in awhile.

Thanks for your hard work!

One of the best stories and pictures on the net , bar none :worthy: . That place has been on my bucket list for awhile now , one day I will make it up there .

Love jigging lake trout and that place looks like "lake trout jigging heaven" Thanks again Bunk , great job !!!

.... Now I just want to fish for myself and my friends.

Going to head to Bear probably in 2017 to fish with one of my guide buddies at the main camp.

We're going to head out for a week of fishin', campin' and drinkin' near Bloody River. :good: :good: :good:

Some good suggestions Dave in the rest of it. And totally understand just keeping fishing for yourself and friends, plenty do. Will likely want a revisit to Bear at some point as well, but through the lodge it would likely be Trophy Lodge. With Branson's (or maybe it's Arctic Cirlce) opened up again, and the self-guided plan, that'd be great too. To book it though, thinking you'd need a couple years in advance and a solid group of eight or more anglers. Big fish caught there as you probably already know. Heading out and camping at the Bloody, that would be something else as well. Would like it for the lakers sure, but some shore grayling and maybe on the fly would be cool too.

I found it weird. I would have guessed most of the guides at a place like that would have been younger guys, with the tie that binds being an absolute obsession for the outdoors. Smoking a cigarette, with your chest puffed out, strutting around, being a bully to try to hide insecurities, is high school stuff. Some guys never grow up. Ego is a hell of a drug too. The fish story was great, but the social stuff made it an even greater read.

Chris, you've always got cool replies to the post, and thanks for that. Agree with the above statement too, but with me, it's not age (or shouldn't be age) dependent in the least. We can all be grumps in the making some days, and always keeping the negatives in check is impossible. But again, in that place there's just no need to take it beyond with that "schoolyard" stuff as you put it. By the responses to the post, I'm actually glad to have kept it in the report. It did add something different, some real food for thought. It makes all that good fishing and stuff, that much better too.

That was a great read........my next trip to Yellowknife will be to Plummers, with you as my guide !!!!!!!! what a awesome experience.

Thanks for putting that together......... :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Hey! Just ask them if the guide's available when you call 'em to book. If he is, he's yours. ;)

Appreciate all the kind replies guys. Surprised so many are actually taking the time to read though all that too, and not just look at the pictures. lol.

Some good suggestions Dave in the rest of it. And totally understand just keeping fishing for yourself and friends, plenty do. Will likely want a revisit to Bear at some point as well, but through the lodge it would likely be Trophy Lodge. With Branson's (or maybe it's Arctic Cirlce) opened up again, and the self-guided plan, that'd be great too. To book it though, thinking you'd need a couple years in advance and a solid group of eight or more anglers. Big fish caught there as you probably already know. Heading out and camping at the Bloody, that would be something else as well. Would like it for the lakers sure, but some shore grayling and maybe on the fly would be cool too.

Spent most of my time guiding out of Trophy, but have guided @ the main lodge and Neiland Bay. Have also been to Bransons and Arctic Circle lodges.

I first fish Bloody with an old guide friend years ago. We had the day off @ the lodge so we boated the 30 miles and spent 1/2 day fishing shallow lakers in August. Between the two of us we caught close to 2 dozen fish all between 20-25#'s in about 4 hours fishing. Camping out there for a week we are bound to hit a 50 or two with a little luck. ;)