A SLAVE GUIDE'S STORY.

Moosebunk

A SLAVE GUIDE’S STORY.

This past summer I took a job guiding in northern Canada. Fueling the idea was much curiosity, fishing experience and one overwhelming urge to challenge myself in an entirely different way. At age 39, with twenty years devoted to work and study in healthcare, recent changes have opened doors for new opportunities... And so it came to be, that with some nervous anticipation I boarded a July flight destined for Plummer’s Lodge on Great Slave Lake, with hopes to become a guide...

INITIATION.

A talkative angler sat on the plane next to me for our flight to Yellowknife. At first Trevor carried much of the conversation, excitedly explaining how he loves muskie and all things muskie fishing. Within his descriptive stories he held quite a confidence and passion for it, making all that he said quite easy to believe. When he slowed down enough to ask about my fishing it only served to open up a giant can of worms, one which lead to several beers and hours of us rambling on and on. Waiting for him at final destination was his uncle promising pike, lake trout and the possibility of inconnu found upon Great Slave Lake. A nice fella to meet and share unexpected time with, we’d part ways on the ground. Trevor planned to stay two weeks in the city and explore outward from there, while I had another flight to catch the following morning.

A year earlier Brenda and I upon Great Slave had fished that same grand stage ourselves. Third week into the Plummers fishing season as guests we were treated to exceptional fishing. While forest fires blazed across the Territories, some continually encroaching upon the lodge, we happily inhaled the threat as one unique part of our experience. An angler, what intrigued me most about this fishery was its jig bite. I love and prefer to jig, and no other trophy arctic lake that I have fished does such a quality opportunity exist at even close to the same caliber. Slave's underwater topography of vast differences and enormity, greatly inspires possibilities for catching giant lake trout lurking anywhere beneath its surface.

GSL7-14_zps646ce95f.jpg

GSL6-16_zps314f073a.jpg

GSL5-04_zps5fe3e213.jpg

GSL8-05_zps616ee12d.jpg

Read on here if you like at Bunks Outdoor Angle...

Thanks,

Bunk.
Edited by Moosebunk

Funny, I was thinking tonight, Bunk hasn't been around lately, he's likely doing some crazy crap

Gonna skim it tonight, then give it the full read when I can.

Been without internet for a few weeks while in Nunavut on a contract. Everything blocked at the new job except work related crap. Monthly fee is pricey so held out as long as possible before hooking up to this slower service. Gave me time to work on this report, explore some tundra and watch some T.V., but most of the time it's just work. Begging to get some ice fishing in, the weather has not been too co-operative and I don't have an auger for the two to three feet of ice already on the lakes and ocean. Have taken a walk out on the Arctic Ocean though, nabbed some photos, and been hoping to capture shots of the little arctic foxes that group up around the residence I'm in. Pretty cool (actually cold) experience, and not much daylight. After being up for only 14 minutes, the sun goes down on me December 1st and it doesn't come back up ti'll January 13th here. And never seen anything quite like the blizzards in this place, they actually shut down the town.

Buddy, for me at least, that was by far the best story you've ever published online. I loved it!!

The juvenile Bull you endured was interesting as well. Surprising as I wouldn't expect Plummer's would ever put up with that kind of crap. You're a better man than me, I'd have lasted about 5 minutes before going postal LOL!

I felt like i went on 3 guided trips with you bunk, i cant figure out if you are a better writer or angler but assuredly you are a master of both.

I also find myself amazed at your restraint in dealing with the big bully, a lesson for guys like me who probably would have had an altercation with him at some point, which would only have soured your adventure.

Maybe one day i can get you to guide me somewhere, i think any trip with you would be the adventure of a lifetime!

Good read as always bud, thanks for getting my blood going!

Buddy, for me at least, that was by far the best story you've ever published online. I loved it!!

The juvenile Bull you endured was interesting as well. Surprising as I wouldn't expect Plummer's would ever put up with that kind of crap. You're a better man than me, I'd have lasted about 5 minutes before going postal LOL!

I felt like i went on 3 guided trips with you bunk, i cant figure out if you are a better writer or angler but assuredly you are a master of both.

I also find myself amazed at your restraint in dealing with the big bully, a lesson for guys like me who probably would have had an altercation with him at some point, which would only have soured your adventure.

Maybe one day i can get you to guide me somewhere, i think any trip with you would be the adventure of a lifetime!

Good read as always bud, thanks for getting my blood going!

Just an amazing read and story in general. Thanks for taking the time to write that up.

Man I wish you would have drilled truck tire lol. I have no time for people like that.

Because of race and profession I've been called plenty names, dealt with crisis and extremes in peoples emotions, and been hit, kicked, bit, burned, stabbed and spit on too. Many times over. Mental illness, alcohol and addictions, racism, ignorance, etc., And in just recent years I've had plenty slander thrown my way by thugs and bullies as well. You have to "think" through those kind of challenges, and having restraint is the first step in being able to do that. It's a part of the story yes, but overall it's a small part part of this story. Maybe I should have left it out of this report? Maybe, but I don't think so. As Jimmer says below too, the pictures do tell a whole lot more.

You know you're a very lucky dude, right?

The pictures alone, tell the story!

"Very!" Thanks dood.

I'm at work, that just took my entire coffee break (and then some) to read. Great report Bunk. On this crappy, rainy Friday morning for 45 mins I felt like I was catching monster Lakers way up north. Congrats on your successful guiding experience at Plummer's.

Thanks. It was a success, agreed.

Wow, amazing, I can't imagine how long that put together but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it for the last hour. That 47 was a slob.

Isn't it? Maybe the slobbiest fish I have ever seen, but definitely the slobbiest and biggest from Slave.

Thanks guys.

Wow, that was a two coffee read. Very interesting story about a guide's life. Your medical skills sure came in handy. I'll tell you my similar experience on a canoe trip sometime over a "wobbly pop". It never fails to disappoint me how bullies are allowed to operate. My compliments for taking the high road. Great photos by the way. Any explanation on how the round circles on the rocks were formed?

Great report Drew!!!

Now you know what us Plummers guides have to deal with.

Most of the crap that happens is due to that one or two Richards in camp and not the guests.

Over the 15 years I guided on Bear I had my share of run ins with guides like Truck Tire and believe it or not most were Plummers rookies although not guiding rookies who thought they were all that and treated guides who had been there much longer than them like they were idiots and morons. Luckily these "professionals" generally only lasted a season if that. The one in question didn't make it through the first month before being put on a plane South on his own dime. ;)

But guide long enough and you will run into guests lake that too.

I haven't guided in quite a while now and every once in a while I miss the enjoyment of being in the bush for a couple of months.

I can tell you I do not miss those giant celebrity shore lunches though. They always take too long and cut into the fishing time.

Rookie guides always get the short end of the stick. They are the first ones to be shore bound when there is a lack of guests and they get all the menial tasks that the "experienced" guides are too good to do. In my rookie year I got to insulate the roof of the lodge on Smith Arm of Great Bear. Nothing like crawling around a 100* attic installing crap loads of fiberglass insulation!!!

Your story brought back memories of my rookie year on the Bear back in the summer of '95.

Good times!!!