Hydro bill. Nf

mr blizzard

My opinion of on demand water heaters.

They are not instant...you have to have the water turned on for 15 seconds before they fire up.

This may not seem long but I find that with that and filling the pipe with hot water..I watch a bit of TV before the shower gets hot.

It is a long wait in the kitchen for hot water. You learn to turn the tap on and do other things while waiting.

They also don't heat on a really low flow, which can be good because you can use the hot thats in the pipe if you plan things right.

When the power goes out, you have NO hot water. With a tank, you can get a shower by candle light in the morning

They are a bit pricey..I think its $40 a month rental but they bill you 3 times a year so its kind of a hit.

I had electric before this but I think they are cheaper to run so that offsets the extra rental or cost

With just 2 of us in the house now it must be better than having that tank heated all the time

They don't take any space and vent out the wall

As long as the power is on, you never have to worry about running out of hot water...great for company or lots of kids taking showers.

Its a personal decision...my wife really wanted it and and loves it and I am used to it..but I'm a miserable old fart

This maybe doesn't sound like much power draw; but all the electronics in the house; that we don't give a second thought too, are constantly drawing power; things like your TVs that are instant on. Most of your electronics are on power bars/surge protectors that have an on/off switch. When we leave for the weekend or on holidays we switch them all off at the power bars.

Down at our trailer we had a 25 year old (if not older) beer fridge in the shed. It crapped out and I found a deal on a scratch and dent new fridge; hydro bill at the park literally dropped in half.

Comparing hydro bills is useless, unless we are also comparing what's hooked to the far side of the meter.

I've been in an all electric home for the last 30 years and people ask me how we can afford the hydro. Our heating is radiant heating coils embedded in the plaster ceilings and the only cost of upkeep is changing the occasional thermostat and that's mostly due to cosmetics.

A good friend that's always pipping up about my electric house, has had to but in 2 new gas furnace/AC systems in his house. So by the time you add his electric and gas bill, along with all the maintenance; I'm still hundreds if not thousands of dollars in savings compared to him.

Dan.

This maybe doesn't sound like much power draw; but all the electronics in the house; that we don't give a second thought too, are constantly drawing power; things like your TVs that are instant on. Most of your electronics are on power bars/surge protectors that have an on/off switch. When we leave for the weekend or on holidays we switch them all off at the power bars.

Down at our trailer we had a 25 year old (if not older) beer fridge in the shed. It crapped out and I found a deal on a scratch and dent new fridge; hydro bill at the park literally dropped in half.

Comparing hydro bills is useless, unless we are also comparing what's hooked to the far side of the meter.

I've been in an all electric home for the last 30 years and people ask me how we can afford the hydro. Our heating is radiant heating coils embedded in the plaster ceilings and the only cost of upkeep is changing the occasional thermostat and that's mostly due to cosmetics.

A good friend that's always pipping up about my electric house, has had to but in 2 new gas furnace/AC systems in his house. So by the time you add his electric and gas bill, along with all the maintenance; I'm still hundreds if not thousands of dollars in savings compared to him.

Dan.

My last place had radiant heat in the cielings. Worste heat I ever had in my life. Expensive, and inefficient. I will never, ever do that again. Thank god for wood, because I would never be able to afford with just that as my heat source.

Seriously, who puts heat in the cielings? Doesn't make sense.

S.

Average $150/Month. Cfls that im slowly converting to LEDs, gas heat but the real juice gobbler is the electric water heater which i'll wire a timer to as soon as i have some time. Oh ya as well as a teenaged daughter but i dont think theyve developed any efficiency products to deal with those. Meeeeeeeeeoooooowwwwwwwwww.

Edited by moxie

Some of your hydro bills are insane..Wow $300 a month for what little your using..wow. I hear the "smart meters" are not working and id suspect thats half your problems..Also whats with the debt retirement charges? Tell ya what im self employed, ill run my business into the ground. Im then going to charge you all for my stupidity for the rest of your lives! but its only going to cot you all $5 bucks each every month..sound fair?

Ill add that we have a 1100 squ foot home 2 story,all LED lights, gas dryer, gas heat and on demand water. New gas furnace and ac. our last hydro bill was $112 for nov, that included the increase

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ontarians-paid-37-billion-above-market-price-for-electricity-over-eight-years-ag/article27560753/

Edited by tb4me

The one part I can't understand about the debt retirement charge is, why do we pay HST on it.

When I borrow for a car, the payment is on the total amount I owe, all tax included

You don't get a loan and pay tax on the item as you make payments.

So why are we all paying tax on loan payments.

I could understand if Kate was dinging us a bit extra for provincial tax but she is giving 7% to the feds....for nothing

The one part I can't understand about the debt retirement charge is, why do we pay HST on it.

When I borrow for a car, the payment is on the total amount I owe, all tax included

You don't get a loan and pay tax on the item as you make payments.

So why are we all paying tax on loan payments.

I could understand if Kate was dinging us a bit extra for provincial tax but she is giving 7% to the feds....for nothing

Not only that, but the debt the charge is meant to pay off has been paid for years now!

My cabin is off the grid so my monthly electric bills over the span of the first 10 years (AVG life of batt bank) should be about $83/mo. Then the cost for the batt replacement every 10 years will be about $1500.

The original $83/mo is the cost of the entire solar/gen back up system spread over 10 years.

The only other expenses during that time will be the cost of oil and fuel for the generator (which will only need to be run periodically during the depths of winter or when running larger power tools).

The initial layout for my system is in the $8-10K range and will be more than enough to power my cabin.