sucker fishing update!!!

tender52

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/more-freshwater/where-fish/2014/03/suckers-fishing-spring%E2%80%99s-most-overlooked-species

In the spring here a lot of Lake Erie tributaries had sucker spawning runs, some streams and rivers seem to hold a population of them.

Changing times? The spring sucker run seemed like it was a bigger deal years ago? My grandparents on my mom's side were Czech, and my dad was a depression era kid, they used to cook suckers or pickle them like herring?

Of course when I was young a lot of people in the neighborhood had pigeon coops, and not for sending messages! Squab! It tastes just like chicken? LOL

• 2 weeks later...

just curious, do the bigger size suckers stay in the rivers and creeks this time of the year? or do they head back to the lake? I'm asking because I would like to fish a part of the river that is closed to salmon and trout at this time but open to whatever else is available excluding bass of course. I would head to that spot if there is a possibility of hooking into a sucker but if its all trout, Id rather stay away :angel:

just curious, do the bigger size suckers stay in the rivers and creeks this time of the year? or do they head back to the lake? I'm asking because I would like to fish a part of the river that is closed to salmon and trout at this time but open to whatever else is available excluding bass of course. I would head to that spot if there is a possibility of hooking into a sucker but if its all trout, Id rather stay away :angel:

the bigger ones do spawn and stay in the river especially here on the credit i see dead 1 footers all the time

I believe this is a Sucker. Please correct me if I'm wrong. it was swimming pretty close to shore when I took the photo last month.

That's not a typical common white sucker but a less common Black Redhorse sucker.

Could be on rare species list. Sucker fishing excitement! haha