Cold water waders

tomkat

Tom, I have a great pair of Bare waders. From my ankles up, I am toasty warm wadeing up to my waist. No matter what I have tried,me feet still get cold. Not right away, but after a few hours,I can feel them getting cold. I find they get worst after getting out and fishing from dry land, so I just deal with it til I cant no longer.

I guess I could go another size up on my boots,and add another pair of socks,but I think that would be to tight and make them uncomfortable. My feet that is.

I would like to hear from others as well that have to deal with cold feet.

Yeah I have stocking foot with boots thick socks but no good. My toes are still tingling 8 hours after fishing. But at least I got 2 steelhead!

LOL Ya. I find when the fishing is hot,the feet dont bother me. It,s the 100 drifts between catches, the feet remind me they are cold..LOL

Well done on the 2 trout.

I have had good luck using a polypro under sock with a marino wool over sock under my Simms stocking foot breathable waders.

In really cold temps I wear fleece wader pants to help keep the warmth in.

I never had luck staying warm using neoprene waders.

Always sweat too much because they don't breathe.

You could try these (not cheap though). The best of both worlds, breathable with boot feet. http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/waders/g3-guide-bootfoot-waders-lug.html

In the end though, when standing in frigid water (especially fo 8 hours as you described) there's only so much you can do as the cold water will pull the heat out of your feet and the water pressure constricts blood flow which adds to the problem. Make sure your wading boots are big enough to accommodate your thick socks without being tight (personally I wear a size bigger than my street shoes), limit your time actually standing in the water and take breaks to walk around which gets the blood flowing again. Finally, once you've become a seasoned cold-weather Steelheader you eventually become able to just ignore those tingling toes! ;)

I don't deep wade when it get real cold so I use a pair of real oversize boot foot hip waders with a felt liner. Not great for walking but works for putting a foot in to land a fish or if the water rises like it is prone to do on the Niagara. Too old to go anything more than kneedeep especially in winter. Surprised I got here after some of the dumb sheet I did wading when younger.

I have 1200gram redhead brand waders I use for duck hunting that are really warm, and they have held up for 4 seasons so far. No complaints. Get them a size bigger, and wear some good merino wool socks. The socks and extra room make all the difference!

S.

personally i use my simms breathables all year round, just wear a pair of pants/longjohns under them, and nice thick wool sock. or go with 3 or 4 mm neoprene waders, and you could always go with a pair of thermacell insoles, CT has them for $139, wireless, rechargeable, waterproof. put them in the stocking of your waders

Edited by FloatnFly

I keep telling myself that I'm going to switch over to neos for the winter, but if I'm doing a lot of hiking I'd still run my G3 stockingfoots (Which aren't breathable btw, I dunno who came up with that, lol!)

I find if I'm moving around a lot during the day I'm fine... If I'm fishing 1 or 2 holes and I'm spending a lot of time not moving, I just deal with the frozen blocks (aka my feet)

Don't Stand in the water for 8 hours , waters to cold LOL.... try under armour hockey socks(real thin) then BPS redhead socks. But really I don't think there's any way around getting cold unless you do some moving around

Remember it's not even been cold yet

Edited by Bondar

yea don't screw around with the cold, its unforgiving. I remember one spring where the water was so cold our feet were freezing after 30 minutes standing in the water, and it was only ankle deep, spent 20-30min, then 15 out to warm our feet, casting was much easier in the water, so we kept going back in.

For layers, I wear a t-shirt under a hooded sweater, then a thick windbreaker when its cold, long johns, shorts, then track pant, and wool socks. I buy my waders a size larger than what I need to make room for layers. Hypothermia is no joke, don't test mother nature

yea don't screw around with the cold, its unforgiving. I remember one spring where the water was so cold our feet were freezing after 30 minutes standing in the water, and it was only ankle deep, spent 20-30min, then 15 out to warm our feet, casting was much easier in the water, so we kept going back in.

For layers, I wear a t-shirt under a hooded sweater, then a thick windbreaker when its cold, long johns, shorts, then track pant, and wool socks. I buy my waders a size larger than what I need to make room for layers. Hypothermia is no joke, don't test mother nature

I'd ditch the hooded sweatshirt and replace it with something wool. Cotton is bad when you're trying to keep warm.

Water can only get so cold, its the air temps that get ya. Water doesn't do well once it gets to 0 Degrees C. Standing in the water can be warmer than standing out of the water some days lol

S.

This is true. Lots of times I have walked back in for a warm up.LOL

Shane, how cubersome are those neo hunting waders with the boots attached? They seem to look warmer then using the sock waders and boots. They might be a good thing when fishing spots where I dont have to bush wack much.

Edited by Brian B

They're not bad for me, but I guess it depends what your used to. My skinny butt gets cold easy, and I dont like to be cold, so I would rather have warm waders, than light ones. I only really wear them late in the season.....they are generally used when the lakes are too frozen to get a boat in, so its cold.....they are frozen solid when I get out of the water, but still keep me warm. One pair of the redhead socks and im good to go.

S.

I'd ditch the hooded sweatshirt and replace it with something wool. Cotton is bad when you're trying to keep warm.

its true......thats what I wear for now, i don't have a wool sweater, i find them way too warm personally, I do have a fleece one though. if it's 10 below or colder i have my winter coat on, not a wind breaker